Profile for MKJ > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Crusader: The Sanctuary Series, Volume Four
Crusader: The Sanctuary Series, Volume Four

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Dec 2013
I started off my review of Book 1 by saying that it is a hard slog at times, but that it is worth it as you progress through the series.
I have now completed Book 4 of the Sanctuary series and I love it. Crane's writing has improved considerably. The characters have become fleshed out and believable.
This is by far the longest book in the series and I just can't wait for the next.

I really like the Girl in the Box series, but if I had to choose between them, then I would go for the Sanctuary books, with the exception of Book 1.

Well done Mr Crane. You have done well.

Defender: The Sanctuary Series, Volume One
Defender: The Sanctuary Series, Volume One

3.0 out of 5 stars A poor start to what is a pretty good series, 9 Dec 2013
I started reading the Sanctuary when I ran out of the Girl in the Box books to read.
The Girl in the Box kept me hooked and I am now waiting for the last two books in the series to come out.
As I had found those books to be most enjoyable, I thought that I would give Robert Crane's other series a go.

A previous reviewer mentioned that this book feels like a Dungeons and Dragons manual and I agree there is something to be said for the accuracy of that comment. I found this book quite tedious and difficult to get into. There was a very palpable feeling of let down and I found myself wishing that I could return to Sienna and the Girl in the Box.

And yet...there was just something enough to keep me going and then to purchase the next book and then again the next one after that.

Each book is better than the last and I can now say that I am enjoying the Sanctuary series.

In summary, you may find this book a bit of a struggle to read, but rest assured that if you persevere the next books do turn out much better to read. Unfortunately, they do need this book to set the story up, but in fact the pay off is quite acceptable.

Legacy: The Girl in the Box #8
Legacy: The Girl in the Box #8

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but sloppy editing, 9 Dec 2013
I have really enjoyed the Girl in the Box series and was looking forward to book 8 very much. Legacy is a good addition to the series and reads well.
Unfortunately, it also appears to have been rushed out. Whereas the previous titles in the series were very well edited, with almost no glitches or mistakes, Legacy is riddled with them.
Spelling mistakes, missing words or even missing whole sentences seriously detract from what would otherwise have been a most enjoyable read.
I wish that I could give two marks, one for the book itself and one for the edition.
Robert Crane writes well and his characters are well fleshed out and interesting. However, he has let himself down by allowing his work to be published without adequate editing.
I am looking forward to the next two books in the series, but I sincerely hope that they will prove to show a return to the previously high standards of editing Crane's work deserves.

Celestron 71211 Outland 6 x 30 Monocular
Celestron 71211 Outland 6 x 30 Monocular

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but the pouch is flimsy, 30 Nov 2013
I like this monocular and I think it is reasonably good value for money. Unfortunately, I almost lost it within a few days of purchase, because the belt attachment on the pouch came loose at the top seam. I was walking away from a petrol station when the nice attendant pointed out to me that the monocular was lying on the ground.
The monocular itself does what it sets out to do and seems of reasonable quality. Good for football matches, bird watching and

The Little Black Songbook Eric Clapton Lc
The Little Black Songbook Eric Clapton Lc
by Various

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 30 Nov 2013
I bought this as a gift for my son and he absolutely loves it. Clapton is fantastic and this little book has helped my son learn to appreciate the great music this man has created.

Wahl 9854-800 Deluxe Rechargeable Grooming Hair Beard Trimmer Station Kit
Wahl 9854-800 Deluxe Rechargeable Grooming Hair Beard Trimmer Station Kit
Offered by eTwist

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not great, 30 Nov 2013
I purchased this as a replacement for my Babyliss kit that I had happily used for years to trim my facial fungus.
This kit is pretty comprehensive and looks OK. It does the job, although not as well as my Babyliss.
The plastic components are pretty flimsy feeling and the pouch it comes with does not have [pockets, so everything just clumps together and rattles around.
There is no light or indicator to show whether the trimmer is charging or charged and it does not retain its charge well, which then makes me leave it plugged in all the time. It's a shame that the power cord fitting is also very flimsy looking and constantly seems on the verge of breaking.
I suspect that there are better alternatives out there

Mens Manicure Set Proffesional Nail Kit In Leather Wallet Pouch Gifts
Mens Manicure Set Proffesional Nail Kit In Leather Wallet Pouch Gifts
Offered by Garden & Home UK

2.0 out of 5 stars poor quality, 30 Nov 2013
Aesthetically, this manicure set is absolutely beautiful. The case looks great and the implements look good too.
However, the case is almost impossible to open without applying bruit force to the catch, which promptly then bends the metal edging out of shape and causes it so pop off the sides.
The implements themselves have an unpleasant rough texture to them and the edges are harsh and scratchy.
I will be looking for an alternative soon.
I would strongly advise against purchasing this item.

Orthotic insoles arch supports joint pain used by NHS, all sizes available including Size Medium/6.5-8.5 UK
Offered by Active Orthotics

5.0 out of 5 stars My feet love these, 30 Nov 2013
I was in pain. I no longer am.
What can I say? Thank you.
These have worked an absolute treat

JSG Accessories® GU10 5.5W 27 x SMD 5050 LED Super Bright Bulb in Day White 6000-6500K Perfect for replacing 50W Halogen Bulb
Offered by JSG Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the right bulb for me, 30 Nov 2013
I have given these bulbs a 5 star rating, because they do what they are meant to. However, be aware that they are VERY bright, white light. I have since purchased the warm light, rather that the day white LED bulbs and those work better for me as a matter of personal taste. The fact that these particular bulbs don't suit me does not detract from their quality, and if it is day white you want, then these are probably good value.

JSG Accessories® GU10 5.5W 27 x SMD 5050 LED Super Bright Bulb in Warm White 3200-3500K Perfect for replacing 50W Halogen Bulb
Offered by JSG Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars very happy, 30 Nov 2013
the halogen lights in my study kept on failing and were costing the earth to replace. these LED bulbs have proven to be an excellent purchase; the provide a nice, warm light which is not overpowering.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7