Profile for Granger > Reviews

Content by Granger

Granger (Ireland)

Dark Summit: The Extraordinary True Story of Everest's Most Controversial Season
by Nick Heil

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes you onto Everest, 28 Dec. 2010
I really enjoyed this book as it really takes you onto the mountain and conveys the risks, challenges and madness of an Everest quest.
The book makes you want to take the challenge on while at the same time making you to dismiss any thoughts of climbing Everest as a risk too far.

'Dream On': One Hacker's Challenge to Break Par in a Year
'Dream On': One Hacker's Challenge to Break Par in a Year
by John Richardson

5.0 out of 5 stars Seve the Inspiration, 9 Jan. 2010
I have something in common with John. I am about the same age as him and was also inspired by watching Seve playing in the Irish open in the early 80s (I grew up close to Portmarnock and Royal Dublin Golf courses).
John's account reads as an ordinary guy who turns the obsession many of us have for golf into a goal that is a dream for many.
The book is easy to read, light hearted, doesn't take itself too seriously BUT does genuinely inspire you and show you how to reach for this particular dream. Not many may do the same as the author but I feel better equiped and motivated to improve my golf my dedication and practice and not allowing myself to accept the handicap my peers have defined for me!
Well done John...Great stuff!

Lustrum
Lustrum
by Robert Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Robert Harris at his best!, 24 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Lustrum (Hardcover)
I should begin by declaring I am a big Robert Harris fan! I really enjoyed Imperium so have waited patiently for Lustrum. It was worth the wait. His best novel yet and even better than Imperium.
It is historically fascinating while being a thriller of the highest order. His characterisation of Caesar, Pompey and Cassius (through Cicero's secretary Tiro and therefore from a distance) is extremely powerful. Cicero's central role in Roman politics and society during the time that Lustrum is set means that this novel moves faster than Imperium giving the real thriller feel that many reviews have mentioned.
There is a third volume to come on Cicero's life and given the quality of the first two this is building to be a benchmark in historical fiction set in the Roman period.

The Scarlet Lion (William Marshal)
The Scarlet Lion (William Marshal)
by Elizabeth Chadwick

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply superb!, 12 Sept. 2009
Having read The Greatest Knight the days passed slowly waiting for the Scarlet Lion to arrive. Absolutely worth the wait. Beautifully written, engaing characterisations, fascinating historical context and two truely wonderful characters. I live in Kilkenny (close to where some of the book is set)and found myself developing a great interest in Kilkenny Castle, Hook Head lighthouse and other Marshall constructs. I have no idea if Chadwich is painting a realistic picture of the true historical characters however you really want to believe that they are the people she paints!. This is one of my favourite books and taken together with The Greatest Knight it is a wonderful achievement.