Profile for savidad > Reviews

Detachment [DVD]
Dvd ~ Adrien Brody
Price: 5.62

2.0 out of 5 stars Good on first watching but don't think too hard, 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: Detachment [DVD] (DVD)
Is it that I'm an intellectual snob or does anyone else find all the references in Detachment a little clumsy with 'hand of director' too plainly visible?
When I first sat and watched this film I was taken aback by what I saw as a breather from the usual American dross that seems so easily produced. But then I got to analysing it as a media teacher and that's where the problems set in.
The quote by Camus at the beginning suggests some sort of existentialist link and yet the remorse, regret and general disillusionment and discomfort Henry shows through the film seems to conflict with the base principles of existentialism.
Henry Barthes? Too close a reference to Roland Barthes - linguist and semiotician? This is where it all got a bit too clever for it's own good for me. If it was going to go down that road, why were there no black teachers - apart from the dead one that everyone hated? It was only the white people that seemed troubled by anything led by Adrien Brody with the most expressive eyebrows in film.
Why do we have to have the stereotype goth loner fat girl? She is everything negative all wrapped up in one. The black student in the class is abusive - as is the one in the office.
I didn't understand the need for the pieces to camera provided by Brody and just thought they provided an opportunity for nice effects in the edit.
There have been many films about teachers in America and all of them seem to end up as quietly racially biased, idealising teachers into either passionate individuals who care so much that the kids just love them and go on to greatness because of them or alcoholic burn outs. The problem with Detachment is, that while I liked it initially, it is no different to any of the others of its ilk. It just hides it a little better with nice camera work.
Because of the quote at the end, I also read Fall of the House of Usher. Again, it could have done without it. More pretentious unnecessary literary links to prove the 'intelligence' in the film. If they wanted to achieve bleak, they could have used Tyrannosaur as a reference point and achieved more with it.

What Did You Expect From The Vaccines?
What Did You Expect From The Vaccines?
Price: 4.91

5.0 out of 5 stars YouTube can be useful for other things..., 6 Aug 2011
I was watching a music video - can't remember which one - on YouTube and on the side bar was the Vaccines video for Norgaard. I watched it. Then watched it again. And then I bought the album. What a refreshing change from the so-called indie bands that we are regularly served up. It has power, great lyrics and doesnt seem to have the pretentious element that so many 'emerging' bands have recently. I really enjoyed every single track. No weak spots but just good old fashioned guitar music with balls and great vocals. My one small gripe is the extra track tucked away a minute or so after the last listed song. Please don't do that -it's not a surprise anymore, pleasant or otherwise.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2011 10:07 AM BST

Whole Town's Heart
Whole Town's Heart
Price: 11.79

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT'S IN A NAME?, 21 Oct 2010
This review is from: Whole Town's Heart (Audio CD)
Every small town officionado will rattle on about Bobby Moore or Geoff Hurst or George Best being the greats in English football - and to an extent they're right. But one name always gets forgotten - Billy Wright. He is the unsung hero of the beautiful game.
So, what's that got to do with this album? the connection is easy, Billy Wright. he's the singer songwriter of this ensemble and, maybe not quite as famous as the original England/Wolves man but still deserving of much more credit than is given. I've listened to early RedTrack songs and this bloke has it in spades. It's too easy to dismiss things as being too much like this or out of date or whatever embittered emotion drives bad reviews. RedTrack are quite simply a collection of people who make songs that others wish they'd written.

This album is phenomenal.

I dont often rave about any bands but Billy and co. create a sound that is pure pop fused with the beautiful arrogance of youth and the sensitivity of a songwriter twice his age.
How the shocking dross in the charts is drooled over with such fervour and Pole Dancer is (at the time of writing) not I have no idea. It is as close to perfect as any song could get (and Pete Shelley didnt hurt none neither!!)

Of course they're regional - no one cant be but its nice to hear a southern voice with little twists of angst coming out of the speakers rather than some irritating northerners trading on their geographical location - style over substance.

RedTrack are original - as original as two guitars, bass and drums can be but the real beauty is in the craft and caretaken in the writing and performing. Don't underestimate them. Open your ears, appreciate the honesty and accept a great album for what it is.

Billy Wright - he shoots, he scores.

The Real Shaving Co. Professional Formula Shave 2 Cream Sensitive
The Real Shaving Co. Professional Formula Shave 2 Cream Sensitive
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Does its' job, 18 Feb 2010
I wasn't blown away by the product but it does shave. It's quite a thin cream which doesn't feel like it will work for the thicker beard. It does help shave but I don't feel it's any better than something that doesn't cost as much. I've used other sensitive skin products that do the job just as well. Looks very trendy in your bathroom though!

Spike Lee Box Set [DVD]
Spike Lee Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alfre Woodward
Price: 10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Spike Lee in a box, 18 Feb 2010
This review is from: Spike Lee Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
Spike Lee box set that showcases Lee's talent as a film maker. He deals with black issues in the way that a more politically correct director might do.
The films are all, in their own way strong social statements that take a particular stereotype and magnify it. Lee seems to be the social realist equivalent to someone like Ken Loach. America through any eyes is difficult to see other than a sensationalised glossy view on life but I feel that Lee gets as close as anyone can.
If you like to experience serious, weighty films, buy this box set. If you like Schwarzenegger films for the quality of the acting, best give it a miss.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2010 12:22 PM GMT

Only Life
Only Life
Offered by AbundaTrade
Price: 7.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old Doug Cheeseman, 18 Feb 2010
This review is from: Only Life (Audio CD)
I was about 20 when I first heard this album. My mate, and bandmate at the time, played it to me. It bowled me over. I loved the simplicity of the melodies which doesn't mean the music is basic. Of course, if you listen to the Velvet Underground and then the Feelies you will see the obvious connections but, to be honest, it doesn't really matter. The Feelies aren't some sort of Oasis - stealing the structures of their songs blatantly and then swaggering around as if the work was their own - they are more quietly reconstructing something they clearly love in their own way. Velvet Underground purists will probably scream and reach for their copy of some Hunter S Thompson novel, I prefer grabbing my memories, sitting back and enjoying some fine songs jangling me back to my old friend's flat in Whitechapel. Do yourself a favour and take a wander down the real indie road.

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars You'd be daft not to, 18 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
I ordered this book because it looked interesting. I wasn't hooked from the first line which, on reflection, I think is probably a good thing. This story weaves around its' central characters building up momentum but not in a traditional and tired way. It moves with its' characters and allows them space to develop without the reader seeing the writer's hand all over his characters.
The language of the book is beautiful and rich with tones. The characters are believable. The book is about as good as a piece of work can be. I was completely won over by it and as I finished it, I thought, 'I would have gladly paid double for that'.

Roland Cube 60 Guitar Amplifier
Roland Cube 60 Guitar Amplifier

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome sound, awesome power, 18 Sep 2008
I know that amps and 'sounds' are an incredibly personal thing. BUT! This amp has enough power for most live gigs. The digital effects should be left alone because they are generally either full on or completely off. Having said that, with a half decent set of pedals, this amp keeps up with any others I have known. It doesn't have the ear splitting volume of my Fender twin or the ear tearing treble end of my AC30 but for something so small, it does more than a good job. I play in a couple of bands with people who use Mesa Boogie amps and, of course, you can hear the superiority in their sound but for an acceptable loud sound at an incredibly affordable price it doesn't come any better than this. I find myself more often than not leaving the 'superior' amps at home and saving myself a ruined back by popping this gem into the car and allowing it to do the stand up job that it does so well.

The Jam: Sounds from the Street
The Jam: Sounds from the Street
by Albert Jack

1.0 out of 5 stars Weller? - dont think so!, 29 Dec 2007
According to Willmott, the majority of this book is devoted to seeing how far up Bruce Foxton and Rick Buckler's a*Se he can get his head. The general feel of the book is that, while Weller was the frontman and spokesperson for The Jam, it was Buckler and Foxton that were the brains behind the operation. Weller just happened to be lucky enough to be there with them.

I can see how one might come to that conclusion. After all, Bruce and Rick have reformed to be a tribute to themselves while Paul Weller has only done some little heard of work and is in relative obscurity compared to his former band mates! Interesting that I met Buckler recently where he spend a good fifteen minutes saying Paul Weller was basically some sort of an idiot. Charming from a man who just earned money playing Weller's back catalogue.
Also, Bruce Foxton - nice bloke - played in Southend where, before he came on, the screens either side of the stage were showing footage of Paul Weller at the Royal Albert Hall. Need I say more.

Take everything written about The Jam with a pinch of salt unless it comes directly from those involved.

Is it Just Me or is Everything Shit?: The Encyclopedia of Modern Life
Is it Just Me or is Everything Shit?: The Encyclopedia of Modern Life
by Steve Lowe
Price: 10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars It's REAL political correctness - not tokenism, 29 Dec 2007
This is the sort of book that people need to read. It seems to be just another slag off text but, on closer inspection, it is not only the funniest thing I've read in a long time but, it has a real social conscience. It doesn't just prod, it gives a full on smack in the mouth to so many things that need it!
The only thing missing, for me, was an entry on Brian Sewell. This book would do him justice I think.

Page: 1 | 2