Profile for M. D. Pithie > Reviews

West
West
Price: 10.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Spacey Psychedelic Swirl, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: West (Audio CD)
I played this several times the other day and was totally captivated.
I was totally drawn into the motorik psychedelic swirl of the Wooden Shjips!. My seasoned ears can discern a veritable melting pot of influences going on within these songs:- Hawkwind ,Neu,The Doors,Spaceman 3, Crazy Horse even!. What a band!. I love 'Black Smoke Rise' which recalls Lemmy era Hawkwind in a big way for me, the other tracks are just as awesome and improve with successive plays. Forget the stress of the everyday and wallow in this album!!

The Hole
The Hole
Price: 3.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Yarn!, 17 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Hole (Kindle Edition)
I finished this one in a couple of sittings, which is a good sign for a first read from a new author for me!.

It's the first novel I have read by William Meikle and certainly won't be the last.

The characters were extremely well drawn small town Americans all people that we can identify with; the feisty female doctor who is new in town, the local busybody, the sheriff , who strives to do a good job in the face of adversity, Charlie and Fred the town drunks who are never far from trouble , but whose hidden depths are revealed as the story cracks on.

I really like the opening scene with Fred Grant which worked really well in a opening scene of a film way. The writing style is pretty much Meikle's own , but I was reminded in places of Stephen King's 'Under The Dome', but maybe that's just me. Whatever , it had me hooked in from the get go and I have since ordered his short story collection 'Dark Melodies' and ' and look forward to it

Apartment 16
Apartment 16
by Adam L. G. Nevill
Price: 6.67

5.0 out of 5 stars 'I have seen the future of horror writing', 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: Apartment 16 (Paperback)
This is a real slow burning tale, so stick with it, don't give up on it in the early stages!.

I was strongly reminded of the first time I read Clive Barker back in the 80's, a feeling that the author was bringing something fresh and new to the genre whilst still acknowledging the past masters who Adam Nevill clearly has a good working knowledge of.

I found that I really engaged with the characters of Apryl and Seth as the tale progressed and that to me is the strength of a good story, if you can identify or engage with the characters, which in turn proves how well the tale has been written.

Its probably easy to compare it to Stephen King's '1408' or 'The Shining' given that the action is centred around a building , but Adam Nevill seems to be more influenced by the masters of English supernatural fiction , particularly in Seth's dream sequences and the creeping unease building when Apryl stays in the titular apartment , the former residence of her late great aunt Lillian, where I was reminded of the urban horror evoked by Ramsey Campbell and M.John Harrison in their short fiction.

Like the aforementioned Campbell, Nevill does not rely on blood and guts to provide the shocks, its the understated creepiness that is in play here.

It's an extremely well written , descriptive tale that will remain with you after reading it for some time and I would wholeheartedly recommend this book highly to anyone with an interest in supernatural horror fiction.

I have already purchased another couple of Nevill's novels from the wonderful sellers on Amazon, and look forward to reading them on these cold winter nights , preferably accompanied by a glass of the finest malt whisky and with the lights on!.

In the Tall Grass
In the Tall Grass
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Tall Grass Fields!, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: In the Tall Grass (Kindle Edition)
I read this in a couple of hours and was mightly impressed- welcome back Steve, its been a long time!.

It really is like Stephen King's return to his roots of horror , ably assisted by son Joe Hill .
I have been a King fan for nearly 30 years and I recognised King's style instantly, what drew me to his work initially all those years ago. The usage of popular culture references , most obviously the reference to 'an old folk song' by Bob Dylan , and the Merry Pranksters psychedelic bus from the 60's. The ordinary people living their ordinary lives until the intervention of the horror. Its evident in the folksy limericks voiced by the character Becky (which reminded me of the rhymes from 1987's 'The Tommyknockers' -'I was crazy and Bobbi was sane , that was before the Tommyknockers came', and 'All Work and No Play makes Jack a dull boy ' in 'The Shining' ) .The general descriptions of rundown rural America where we 'Constant Readers' have visited many a time, and the characters who are always believable and in the main always characters we can engage with. Yes folks we're in King Country and I suppose , Hill Country!

Joe Hill's style provides the gorier moments in my opinion , though I may be wrong . I was surprised that Peter Kilrue from Hill's '20th Century Ghost' didn't make an appearance as he would have been well at home among the cannibal denizens of the 'Tall Grass'.

Initially , I was reminded of 'Children Of The Corn' , but it is different, more of these times and more visceral.

Compulsive stuff and well worth a look!

The Immaculate
The Immaculate
by Mark Morris

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary in an understated way.. fans of Ramsey Campbell and Stephen King apply here!, 29 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Immaculate (Paperback)
I have read many of Mark Morris' short stories over the years and have been very impressed by them,

This is the first novel of his I have read and it certainly won't be the last.

Jack Stone,a horror/sci-fi writer in his thirties has it all outwardly- a successful career which is blooming ,a new girlfriend in the enigmatic Gail , a seemingly good life.

However, he is burdened by his past , his estranged bullying father , and a childhood beset by bullying and seeking refuge in the world of books.

He returns to his birthplace of Beckford after the death of his father, his return reunites him with his aunt , his childhood nemesis, bully Patty Bates , and reawakens ghosts from his past which have lain dormant since his teens .

It's a very well written story that keeps momentum throughout , I was reminded a little of the style of Ramsey Campbell in that the horror is hinted at and understated rather then reliant on violence and gore. Morris' writing style is peppered with pop cultural references of the times described in the book , which is reminscent of Stephen King at his best, and works well at evocation of the time period.

I look forward to checking out more from Mark Morris in the near future!.

Valtari
Valtari
Price: 8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Genre!, 11 Sep 2012
This review is from: Valtari (Audio CD)
This is wonderful music beyond genre - ethereal, beautiful and soothing.

I listened to this for the first time and was variously reminded of Arvo Part , Henryk Gorecki , Eno , Bjork (in her quieter moments) Harold Budd and John Foxx.

Forget the generic labels and bathe in this excellent recording!

Shades of Time
Shades of Time
by E.E. Chandler

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth a Look Also!, 17 July 2012
This review is from: Shades of Time (Paperback)
'Shades of Time' is the second anthology from Lemon Tree Writers which was published in 2011.

Like the first anthology, 'Kelly's Cats' , 'Shades of Time' showcases the writing of four writers , namely E.E Chandler, Rachel Grant , Elizabeth Reinach and Lorna Taylor.
Its an eclectic collection with poetry and prose rubbing shoulders with each other; E.E Chandler's lyrical poetry sings from the page and I particularly liked 'Barcelona' with its vivid imagery , Rachel Grant's two science fiction stories 'History is Written ' and 'New Earth' were really enjoyable and I found that they lingered in my mind for days after reading , the true strength of a good story , in my opinion. Elizabeth Reinach's sonnet 'Rats and Mice' ( from a cycle of sonnets commemorating the life of Tom Cat) is highly entertaining and takes its first line from Shakespeare and carries on in his spirit!. Her short stories are excellent and are indicative of a nascent writing talent and Lorna Taylor's nostalgic short stories transport us to times gone by in Aberdeen and elsewhere!.

This wonderful chapbook is a steal at just 3.00 and the cover's artwork by Camilla - Erika Campbell, is excellent also!

Diversions, Vol. 1: The Songs of Robert Wyatt and Antony & The Johnsons- Live from the Union Chapel, London
Price: 9.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting , Awesome , Brilliant!, 16 Jan 2012
This is the fourth Unthanks cd I have bought so I am biased.
This really works extremely well on both the Robert Wyatt and the Antony and the Johnsons sets .

I particularly like Sea Song , being a big fan of the Wyatt original.

The whole album is awesome , as the Unthanks drift from the shores of trad folk music and make music which is increasingly eclectic and wholly exquisite.

Fans of folk music ,Kate Bush, Bjork and more will find something to savour here.

Lets hope they record the songs of Jeff Buckley , Portishead, or the Cocteau Twins next....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2012 12:44 AM BST

The Jim Jones Revue
The Jim Jones Revue
Price: 9.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock' n' Roll is alive and kicking bigtime!, 19 May 2011
This review is from: The Jim Jones Revue (Audio CD)
What a band!. I really love this one and 'Burning Your House Down'. Little Richard, Dr Feelgood , Link Wray, The Ramones, The Pirates,The Stooges , early Motorhead, MC5 , Gun Club , and The White Stripes are just a number of the bands that come to mind while listening to this cd. Not that it's derivative or anything , its like all the greatest purveyors of raw rock'n'roll of the last 50 years have been encapsulated in the one band. Switch on , turn up loud , feel the rhythm, watch the goosebumps come up!. This really harks back to the days when music was music and not a lifestyle accessory to be picked up at the supermarket!..

Living With a Tiger
Living With a Tiger

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Buying!, 3 Mar 2011
This review is from: Living With a Tiger (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed this cd, it was totally exhilarating!.

It would be easy to call this jazz-punk or punk-jazz, its more than just that , its great music with a capital G.

If you like the free-jazz end of the jazz spectrum , the skronking of Pete Wareham's Coltrane-esque sax playing will appeal to you , if you like punk , thrash, indie, jazz, avant noise , you're bound to like this

Its a real genre hopper too , the sheer diversity is awesome , ranging from the straight ahead punk , to monumental Led Zeppelin style riffing , and a teeny bit of Zappa-esque workouts propelled by sterling drumming from the excellent Seb Rochford ( Rashied Ali meets any good rock drummer you wish to mention!)

Click that mouse and buy!!!

Page: 1 | 2