Profile for M. Jack > Reviews

M. Jack (Preston, UK)

Arcanum
Arcanum

5.0 out of 5 stars An engrossing vivid world, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: Arcanum (Kindle Edition)
One of the best books I have read recently, very immersive with intriguing ideas explored. I love the crossover between fantasy and science fiction. Such a shame to leave the world Morden has created behind when finishing the book.

Holistic Anatomy: An Integrative Guide to the Human Body
Holistic Anatomy: An Integrative Guide to the Human Body
by Pip Waller

5.0 out of 5 stars A book on human biology with the love and awe left in!, 23 April 2010
A very interesting and enjoyable book to read.

I am fairly familiar with the sciences and have been studying anatomy and physiology as part of my uni course, and this book, though not as in-depth as my text books, provided something they didn't - it helped link up and fill in gaps surrounding my other knowledge, giving a good grounding, looking at the body in a way that brings love and awe, and even giving ways of living a more healthy, balanced life (did you know that studies have shown paracetamol to make the flu last days longer? Now I know!)

I also like all the little deviations from mainstream science: studies done at the fringes and traditions of other cultures. This to me seems so important in a world where often only a very limited and limiting perspective is given.

So overall, I think my knowledge and life has been in someways enriched by reading this book.

Holistic Anatomy for Healers, Heretics and Alternative Folk: An Introduction to Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology and Deep Holism
by Pip Waller

5.0 out of 5 stars A book on human biology with the love and awe left in!, 4 Dec 2008
A very interesting and enjoyable book to read.

I am fairly familiar with the sciences and have been studying anatomy and physiology as part of my uni course, and this book, though not as indepth as my text books, provided something they never could - it helped link up and fill in gaps surrounding my other knowledge, giving a good grounding, looking at the body in a way that brings love and awe and even giving ways of living a more healthy, balanced life (did you know that studies have shown paracetamol to make the flu last days longer? Now I know!)

Jung and the Story of Our Time
Jung and the Story of Our Time
by Laurens Van der Post

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 4 Dec 2008
I found this book very interesting and very inspiring. It raised many new issues for me to consider - some new ways of seeing and understanding aspects of the world.

I found the book a little hard going at times and it took some getting into, but it was most definately worth the trouble.

The Book of Herbal Wisdom: Using Plants as Medicine
The Book of Herbal Wisdom: Using Plants as Medicine
by Matthew Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable herbal with added depth, 4 Dec 2008
I have yet to read all of this book, but from time to time will read a chapter on a particular herb and find it both interesting and enjoyable. In learning about herbs having a list of things the herb can do may be useful, but you don't get any much idea of the character of the herb. This book remedies that nicely and I have found that I rememeber what it has to say about herbs a lot easier than for other books, and it gives me useful pointers to when it would be particularly helpful to use a particular herb.