Profile for GMW > Reviews

Content by GMW

GMW "Geraldus" (Wales)

Page: 1 | 2
The Problem of HFT: Collected Writings on High Frequency Trading  & Stock Market Structure Reform
The Problem of HFT: Collected Writings on High Frequency Trading & Stock Market Structure Reform
by Haim Bodek

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Technical Analysis, 21 April 2014
An excellent book. Mr Bodek understands the issue very well. I read Michael Lewis's book (excellent) on HFT, then Scot Patersons book on a similar theme then ended up at this book which really nails the issue. Any authority who reads all three books will realise there is a serious problem in the markets. Supply and demand in the old fashioned sense do not drive the markets any more. Basically - HFT's and MM's playing silly little games and sucking the life out of the markets will kill the markets unless all markets jointly fix the problem. One exchange, and a level playing field where research and analysis leads to "safer" investment decision making will suit us all much better. its hard enough as it is but these days buying shares in the markets is like throwing your money into a pool of sharks where what happens next is more down to psychological games being played out in the market. Shake-out's, bots selling 20 shares to knock a price down, delayed trades etc ... what chance does the guy on the street have?

Fundamentals of Investing in Oil and Gas
Fundamentals of Investing in Oil and Gas
by Chris Termeer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not an investment book, 24 Jan 2014
3 stars because for the price it is a worthwhile purchase - and covers plenty of ground but at a much cheaper price than the other similar books on market. However this is NOT a book on investing in the oil industry - the title is wrong. It a a worthwhile read about what would be best for you to know if you are to invest in the oil industry. Armed with the book you will probably understand more when you next get that RNS or read some of the BS on the bulletin boards. More on offshore drilling would have made it 4 stars. The correct title 5 OR 5 if it contained real advice on investing in oil and gas. Six stars !! if it covered new frontier regions such as some parts of South America e.g Uruguay, Falklands, and West Africa e.g. Namibia, Morocco etc and how the majors need to start getting acreage in these new regions which has been bought up by the smaller independent oilers. M&A anyone?

The Scramble for African Oil: Oppression, Corruption and War for Control of Africa's Natural Resources (New Politics, Progressive Policy)
by Douglas A. Yates

5.0 out of 5 stars A Page turner, an eye opener, 30 Dec 2012
I have developed an interest in Oil Exploration and wanted to read wider than simply how do you get it out of the ground. I was not prepared for what I read but now having completed this excellent piece of work I can safely say that I will never look at the industry in the same way ever again. Nor will I look at oil politics, colonialism, or neo colonialism in the same way ever again - these terms were known to me but I never really paid any attention to what they REALLY meant. An outstanding piece of work that will become a reference piece of work - to be read over and over again - especially by me.

AOC I2353FH 23 inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Silver (1920 x 1080, 250 cd/m2) (discontinued by manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Out of the box - did not work, 29 Dec 2012
Unfortunately my purchase did not work. Time-consuming episode where I checked everything multiple times. Not a great first introduction to this brand which I have never tried before. Draw your own conclusion on whether I will try it again.

Bear Essentials: The Secrets of Forensic Accounting and Profitable Trading
Bear Essentials: The Secrets of Forensic Accounting and Profitable Trading
by Simon Cawkwell

3.0 out of 5 stars 10/10 For Humout, 5/10 for lessons learned, 3 July 2012
Hilarious in parts - so much so that I shall no doubt use some of them and claim them as my own! There are some 'reinforcers' in that it told me things I had figured out so realised I was not on my own in thinking a certain way about aspects ot the market. Its called bear essentials, but it is just about bare esentials. If you want a laugh then its worth a read. Pithy - but pity it could not have had some more useful details. Its also a bit out of date and some of the companies he mocked actually are now very strong indeed - others he nailed and are extinct. At least he knows what he is doing, and trades for a living which does come through loud and clear.

Hydrocarbon Exploration & Production (Developments in Petroleum Science): 55
Hydrocarbon Exploration & Production (Developments in Petroleum Science): 55
by Jahn

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb.Succinct., 30 April 2012
A fantastic book. Easy to read - although with some technical aspects I am unfamiliar with (not being in the Oil Industry). Key aspects I needed to understand, I found, digested, and am happy with the investment! Well done to the authors!

Brother MFC J6510DW - Multifunction ( fax / copier / printer / scanner )
Brother MFC J6510DW - Multifunction ( fax / copier / printer / scanner )

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissappointing - a simple print would be nice,, 28 Jan 2012
I bought this printer as a replacement for a HP printer which was working fine but did not have the duplex & other capabilities I required. It was a good price. However, I had days of simply not being able to print. The printer could be seen in devices and printers, but kept saying it was offline. Prints wojuld stay in the queue. Deleting them all , and trying another print did not solve the problem. Eventually with a lot of research I got it to work - lots of IP re-setting etc! After 4 weeks it then went back to its old ways - and not printing. Major dissappointment and I will not trust this brand going forward.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2012 9:56 PM GMT

The Inner Voice of Trading: Eliminate the Noise, and Profit from the Strategies That Are Right for You
by Michael Martin

2.0 out of 5 stars Take up Yoga!, 30 Dec 2011
I have read over a 100 books on trading and am by no means an expert - far from it - if only! I must have missed something because the only message I got was 'take up Yoga' because it helps you clear out those emotions that affect your trading. So yes I bought a yoga book :-) but as far as this book is concerned - I wanted to like it - I respected the guys who wrote good words about it - Seykota, Bellafiore etc...but it just did not throw up anything original. Cut your losses short..well yes must do....Anyway, I might try reading it again - after I have done some meditation to eliminate the noise when I was reading it!

The StockTwits Edge: 40 Actionable Trade Set-Ups from Real Market Pros (Wiley Trading)
by Howard Lindzon

4.0 out of 5 stars Some useful information, 25 Sep 2011
Lots of set-ups. Some set-up's are not set-up's at all. Interesting reading. Some inspirational quotes. Overall worth a buy since there is someting I am sure all individuals will take away from this book. Different articles written by different people makes it an interesting read.

PNY NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 Graphics Card 1024 MB PCI-E VGA/DVI-I/HDMI (Small Box) (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Two cards driving three monitors and 1 42inch LCD TV, 25 Sep 2011
I had two installed on my PC to drive 4 screens - three 22inch HP w2207 monitors and one 42inch LCD. I have never had an issue - they work perfectly. My PC was custom built. I am about to add another card to dirive one more monitor and noticed the reviews which I thought odd given my experience.

Page: 1 | 2