Profile for Future Gothic > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Boo Hoo Hoo
Boo Hoo Hoo

5.0 out of 5 stars Catchy, fun and simply enjoyable., 13 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Boo Hoo Hoo (MP3 Download)
I love this song and I bet they're great live - if only they would get over to the UK anytime soon!!! I could easily get into blues rock after listening to this.

Love the name of the band and she has such an amazing voice - great all round!! I'm listening to it for the fourth time in a row and my foot is tapping away like a limb possessed :)

Red Rover
Red Rover

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw, sexy and relaxing, 13 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Red Rover (MP3 Download)
Never heard of Paper Aeroplanes before I got this sample track but they are on my radar now. It's not music that's going to change the world but it's good, very good and it's a nice taster of what to expect from a very talented set up.

It is a relaxing song and the singer's voice is very good, very dulcet tones and some nice raw guitar mixed in. Try it out, you might like it :)

Radioactive
Radioactive

5.0 out of 5 stars Best song of 2013, 13 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Radioactive (MP3 Download)
I know we're in February 2014 as I write this but it's still on my playlists and I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon. For me, because it keeps getting played and I still get that same rush when I hear it, it's gotta be for me, the best song of 2013, hands down.

Morfeo's Aspiration
Morfeo's Aspiration

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting view of experience..., 13 Feb. 2014
I wasn't too sure what to make of it but it turns out to be quite a good little story. It's hard to place in any genre but works well as a story of someone's life - and there's nothing wrong with that :)

Crying for No Reason (KDA Blue Mix)
Crying for No Reason (KDA Blue Mix)

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have been sampled not remixed., 13 Feb. 2014
I'm normally a great fan of remixes but there has to be something of the original resonating through, unfortunately here it just does not work very well and it seems strange to add this to your Katy B collection.

If KDA Blue had released it as their own song and simply sampled the Katy B original then it may have worked out better for them.

As a stand alone piece of music it is reasonable but expect anything groundbreaking here.

One Breath
One Breath

5.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing, provocative and heavenly., 3 Feb. 2014
This review is from: One Breath (MP3 Download)
Anna Calvi has only recently landed on my radar but I can't believe I missed her first time around. I'm off to see her at Manchester's Albert Hall on the 6th Feb and I've heard her live show is better than her recorded one - if that's true, I'm in for a real delight.

It's hard to place Anna Calvi into a specific genre but that's the beauty of creating music from the heart. It's a little bit experimental, a little bit Western Film soundtrack, all glued into place by a really very good voice.

It's relaxing, provocative and heavenly all in one shot. One Breath is like watching a masteress at work, a real delight to be part of an amazing journey. Can't wait for the live show!!!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2014 12:43 PM GMT

False Idols
False Idols

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical delight, 3 Feb. 2014
This review is from: False Idols (MP3 Download)
Tricky has always been on the cusp of greatness, for those who know his work, he has long been there, ready to take hold of his place in the light. If you don't know what he's about then it can be difficult to get into. Unless you put on this album, turn the volume up, sit back and simply enjoy.

'Nothing Matters' is one of the standouts along with the brilliant 'Parenthesis' and the numbing 'Tribal Drums'. 'Nothing's Changed' is another standout In an album that deserves to gain more recognition that it has.

Superb and a real delight for music lovers of all genres.

Hydra
Hydra

5.0 out of 5 stars The world is watching..., 3 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Hydra (MP3 Download)
I've been on a Within Temptation rampage in the first few days. Not least because I've been downloading pretty much everything I own as MP3s. That meant all of Within Temptation's back catalog - it also meant I had the great honour of listening to everything they've ever done from the beginning. The journey has been immense and so has the wait for Hydra.

Hydra is the culmination of a journey that has taken over a decade to realise. We had a glimpse of Hydra back in the fall of 2013 with 'Paradise' - at a time when the album should have been released. The beauty of digital downloads is that when the release date ticks over into being active, you can get it straight away. It's been a long time coming but it's here now and I'm happy, really happy!

It's like the Within Temptation I always thought they we're have finally shown themselves, and they're not afraid to do exactly what is right for them. Whereas 'The Forgiving' may have been an album where they flexed their concept mainstream muscles, 'Hydra' deserves to finally propel them fully into the realm of being a household name.

The previous album could be forgiven for sounding a little samey but there's none of that here, instead we find a diverse mix of songs that should satisfy most fans and probably gain a few million more.

'Edge of the World' is a sweeping piece of music that makes you wanna raise your hands and shout out to the heavens - truly magnificent. The aforementioned 'Paradise' is a powerhouse of metal and operatic vocals with a chorus that sounds evidently plucked from the eighties, and there's nothing wrong with that!

'And We Run' is sure to divide fans and critics alike but I'm all for experimentation within music and let's face it - rock and rap have been hand in hand since Run DMC and Aerosmith and more recently JayZ with Linkin Park. Is it any surprise that Within Temptation, on their rise to superstardom, had enlisted the vocals of American rapper Xzibit? It's no surprise at all and although not the strongest song on the album, it is worthy of note for moving to break down barriers. It also will most likely gain them a new legion of fans from other genres.

'Covered By Roses' is a return to the days gone by, a power metal anthem that showcases their talent for creating catchy riffs with extremely mature vocals, a testament to the growth and desire of an amazing group.

If you've never heard Within Temptation before or you're a hardened fan like me, them you'll easily find something here to enjoy and take away from it. Far from forgetting their roots on their way to reaching a mainstream audience, they have created an album that feels like a showcase for everything they are good at.

One minor annoyance is the length, at less than 50mins it doesn't push the boat out, but then again, when every song is this good I can live with that. Now the final song, 'Whole World Is Watching' is a superb ending to a great album and it feels like a song in which they leave their calling card for the rest of the world to discover them... to discover and wonder what they've been missing for the past decade.

Hydra is a superb album, it feels like it has been a long time coming and the constant change in release dates didn't help - but it's here now and I'm glad it's as good as I wanted to be. Whatever you think of the group, there is no denying that they continue to push the boat out, to test new boundaries and to really find their place within the music world.

And in the end - they're just brilliant songs!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2014 9:04 AM BST

Nettwerk Amazon Sampler February 2014
Nettwerk Amazon Sampler February 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Free for February 2014 - no complaints here!!, 2 Feb. 2014
I was initially looking for the 'Passenger' track listed on this album but then I saw the entire sampler was free - and I'm glad it was, it's exposed me to bands and songs I probably would have never heard of before.

It's a great idea for a label to offer a sampler like this and because I've found delights I never would have found before like 'The Pack A.D', and 'Run River North'.

Standout tracks here are 'All the little lights', 'Battering Ram' and the awesome 'Your Love' by Morgan Page.

Thanks Nettwerk!!!!

Only Teardrops
Only Teardrops

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly very good., 2 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Only Teardrops (MP3 Download)
I never even realized that Emmelie was involved with Eurovision until after I had heard the album at a friend's house, I immediately downloaded from the Amazon store when I returned home.

It's surprising because it's not my normal type of music, but is has a certain folk style to it that just makes it stand out from the rest of the singer/songwriter albums that have hit us in recent years.

I love her voice and there are some standout tracks on this album including the title track, 'Change', 'Beat the speed of sound' and the hugely underrated 'Let It Fall'. I cannot understand why 'Let it Fall' was never released as a single, it would be huge.

This album deserves to have better marketing behind it and in the right hands it could propel Emmelie to a whole new level. As it is, it is a hidden secret. Most would only delve into the song 'Only Teardrops' but there is so much more on offer here.

A little thing I find bizarre - I can almost see this voice fitting perfectly with the likes of power metal, like 'Within Temptation' or 'Nightwish' just without the operatic tendencies - but that's just me. Overall - very solid and don't confuse this with normal Eurovision tat.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2014 11:31 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3