Profile for Quality Guy > Reviews

0.6L Stainless Steel Coffee Frothing Milk Jug Latte by Andrew James
0.6L Stainless Steel Coffee Frothing Milk Jug Latte by Andrew James
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 7 May 2012
Nice heavy stainless steel jug for heating / frothing milk.

This is a very nice looking jug which now sits proudly next to my espresso machine.

Would recommend with the Andrew James milk thermometer.

Victorinox Pionier - 1 Functions: Ribbed Alox, Silver
Victorinox Pionier - 1 Functions: Ribbed Alox, Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy knife, 7 May 2012
Handy, lightweight, quality knife. I bought this as a knife to have in my pocket for odd jobs around the office etc. Would have been handy to have a loop to attach to a keyring / lanyard etc.

Has a small flat area which would be ideal for engraving initials etc.

Toyota Production System: Beyond Large-Scale Production
Toyota Production System: Beyond Large-Scale Production

5.0 out of 5 stars The one book you should read, 7 May 2012
OK, I've read a number of books on the Toyota Production System and if you are looking to implement or gain a better understanding, save your money and simply buy this book.

All other books try to add to the original idea and only succeed in taking something away from the original message.

No one can tell you how to implement the TPS but this book will give you the clear message and thinking behind what Taiichi Ohno did when developing the TPS at Toyota.

Mr Ohno is modest throughout, as he explains how he developed the system in an autobiographical style - it almost reads like a novel. He explains where things did not go well and where he failed, as well as what really worked.

If you work in manufacturing, this is a must read!

2oz Espresso Shot Glass
2oz Espresso Shot Glass
Offered by A1 Coffee

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice glasses, 7 May 2012
Nice, weighty espresso glasses. I bought two and find them perfect for measuring the perfect shot.

These glasses feel nice and solid / heavy in the hand and are perfect for the job for which they are designed.

Much better than some more expensive glasses out there.

I would wholeheartedly recommend for all espresso lovers.

Quantum of Tweed: The Man with the Nissan Micra
Quantum of Tweed: The Man with the Nissan Micra

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK..., 7 May 2012
I thought this was going to be funnier than what it is...

The book is not very well written and the humour and plot is very predictable; short stories work best when they are sharply written and end with a twist / surprise - this book has neither. I could imagine this being written by a good English pupil asked to write a spy spoof for their homework.

Having said all of that, it is only £1.99 and is short enough to be worth a read but don't have your expectations too high - no laugh out loud moments just a few wry smiles.

Hope this helps...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2013 4:15 PM GMT

Production and Operations Management, Third Edition
Production and Operations Management, Third Edition

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor formatting, 15 April 2012
This book is very poorly formatted for Kindle, equations are unreadable etc. I returned for a refund (no problems in getting a refund). I didn't realise I could return a Kindle book until I tried complaining about this book - excellent service from Amazon!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Mar. 2012
Bought one of these for my Dad to light his door on a night - he was struggling to see to unlock the door on Winter nights; this works really well - a good wide beam so pointing straight down from above the door it creates a large circle of light and lights the door itself really well.

The light is easy to mount, comes on reliably and is quite bright - easily bright enough to use as a security light in a small area (more appropriate than you average halogen security light for most home applications).

Overall excellent value for money and so far (4 months of Winter evenings) very reliable and is still using original batteries.

Celestron Moon Filter
Celestron Moon Filter

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap quality, 17 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Celestron Moon Filter (Camera)
This was the first filter I bought for my telescope so wasn't sure what to expect; however, as a keen photographer I had certain expectations of an optical filter.

As this filter is manufactured by Celestron, bought this thinking it would be a good quality filter - it really is not, it is all plastic construction, not necessarily a bad thing, but this really is rough quality which makes it more difficult to fit (the threads are quite fine on eyepieces and the plastic frame of this filter is a roughly finished moulding which really makes it difficult to fit) it has a green colour cast which may help when viewing the moon to bring out some features but with the quality of this filter I found the image to be really poor. I have since bought the Revelation Eyepiece and Filter Set which has a good quality neutral density filter and is a much better quality part and the resultant image of the moon is infinitely better - when you see the quality of these filters you would never waste money on this part - there really is no comparison.

I would say shop around and buy a good quality ND filter instead of this. Unfortunately you get what you pay for and you don't have to pay much more to get a much better filter...

John Halifax, Gentleman
John Halifax, Gentleman

5.0 out of 5 stars An overlooked classic, 29 Jan. 2012
This was my mother's favourite book but it is quite difficult to obtain as a hard copy; when I bought a Kindle it was one of the first books I read. It really is a unique book, a true classic which everyone should read at least once...

Celestron 130EQ Astromaster Reflector Telescope
Celestron 130EQ Astromaster Reflector Telescope
Offered by PicStop

4.0 out of 5 stars Great First Scope, 29 Jan. 2012
OK, after much research I bought this scope, a copy of 'Turn Left at Orion' and a Moon Filter.

Upon unpacking the telescope I found that the tripod was broken (one of the leg supports was cracked (no signs of damage to the packaging). I was so disappointed (it was a nice clear night).

I'm afraid the tripod does look quite weak but costs have to be saved somewhere; the equatorial mount and scope look good and I guess this is where you are better off spending the money if the tripod is secure enough. I guess I will just need to handle it with care...

Excellent service from Amazon, filled out the returns form on line and a new telescope was delivered 2 days later (before I had returned the faulty one).

UPDATE

Having used my 130EQ for a few weeks now I can say that it really is an excellent piece of kit with a few reservations:

The 'star pointer' (used to aim the scope) is really bad. I could not get this to work and even struggled to find the moon using it! I have now removed it (quite easy by removing two Philips screws) and I bought a Telrad finder which is so easy to use. The Telrad took me 5 minutes to mount and set up (the hardest bit was finding an object to aim at with the scope in the first place). I can now point the Telrad at an object and it is immediately centred in the eyepiece. The Telrad is a bit expensive at around £50 for what it is but but for the difference it makes it is well worth it. It transforms this scope - don't hesitate to upgrade to a Telrad if you struggle with the built in finder.

The tripod is not very steady so astro photography is not easy but it does the job and the equatorial mount is a substantial quality mount. At the price - this is fine.

The scope itself pulls in a huge amount of light and the best views are with lower magnifications. I can highly recommend the Revelation Eyepiece set which I bought from Telescope House. This set is worth the money for the Barlow Lens, T-adaptor and especially for the 32mm eyepiece which is fantastic.

Overall this scope is an excellent introduction to astronomy but budget for an update to the pointer - I can find an object in less than a minute with the Telrad when without it I could spend all night trying and still fail!

I now intend to join a local astronomy club and continue my journey in this new hobby.

Hope this review is helpful for any newbies like me.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2012 9:58 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5