Profile for Ms. Alison Muir > Reviews

Content by Ms. Alison Muir

Ms. Alison Muir

Apocalypse Moon (The Joshua Files)
Apocalypse Moon (The Joshua Files)
by M. G. Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied but sad to say goodbye, 28 April 2012
Well, the longed for, dreaded moment has arrived - our final ride with Josh, at least in this series, and in this version of reality. I have to admit I allowed my daughter and my partner first go at our copy, not out of generosity, but because I wanted to postpone my own farewell to to Josh. While waiting I flicked through the earlier books, revisiting the highlights and clarifying the questions in my mind. Yes, you can read the Joshua books lightly, enjoying the action, the romance and the vividly described locations, but on top of that I love the mind bending puzzle of it all. I even found myself with pen and paper, drawing timelines and trying to solve the multiple mysteries through deduction. In vain - when you've got time travel, parallel realities and the fact that a character's eye colour can be changed through genetic manipulation, you just can't do more than guess at the identity of Arcadio until you read the final book.

Like other reviewers, I'm very limited in what I can say about this instalment without spoiling the mystery. I will say that our whole family loved it. I will say that for me the best parts involved Tyler - great to see him back in a central role. And finally, I will say to the author that, once one has opened the door to time travel and parallel realities, further Josh adventures must always be possible. There's probably one happening right now, somewhere, somewhen...

To anyone reading this, buy the book. If you haven't read the earlier ones, buy the series!

Mummy Never Told Me
Mummy Never Told Me
by Babette Cole

5.0 out of 5 stars very helpful, 3 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Mummy Never Told Me (Paperback)
It's amazing that people who think they are not prudes suffer so much to raise issues of sexuality with their children! We found this book helpful and humourous in its gentle exploration of a child's curiosity about all sorts of unanswered questions. Telling how the critics are only bothered about the lesbianism and homosexuality - shows us all where they stand, doesn't it?

Invisible City (The Joshua Files #1)
Invisible City (The Joshua Files #1)
by M G Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Great!, 4 Feb. 2008
I won't enter into the debate comparing the Joshua Files to the Bourne movies - the key point is that this book is an absolutely brilliant read in its own right. Actionwise, it starts strong, builds, and then takes off with the kind of page turning intensity which makes you want to skip meals and read all night. 'Read page 37', instructs the back cover - believe me, on page 37 we're barely into second gear; it's good, but it gets a whole lot better.

I'll repeat the observations of other reviewers here and comment that all this action is deftly balanced with an exceptionally strong characterisation. The result is that it isn't just exciting to accompany Josh on his adventures - we actually understand him and care what happens to him all the way through. My eleven year old daughter, not a pure action or sci fi fan, is riveted by the power of the emotional story.

Another perfect balance is achieved in the level of challenge the book presents to the reader. Of course there's the code woven into the book, and the prizes offered on the book's website for cracking that. Beyond this there are enough ideas and information thoughout to spark the curiosity of the most active mind. It's easy to find the Author's website and begin one's own fascinating exploration of Mayan mysteries. At the same time the writing style is so direct and accessible, that even a reluctant reader can just relax and enjoy the simple thrill of the story.

Finally, I have to mention the slip cover. It's not often one gets a 'wow!' reaction just from walking around holding a book. Honestly, go and look at one in a shop. Buy one now, for yourself or your kids, and be the envy of all.