ARRAY(0xa60ee2dc)

Profile for Mr. R. L. Blair > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. L. Blair

Mr. R. L. Blair "Shackleton's Mac" (Brighton, UK)

Denon PMA-510AE Integrated Amplifier - Black
Denon PMA-510AE Integrated Amplifier - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Denon PMA 510 AE Amp, 6 Dec 2011
I went to my local hi fi shop to price a decent amp and this was the cheapest one on the shelf! A bit more than I wanted to spend but I was in the mood so I bought it. The guy set it up with a turntable with The Beatles playing, and some nice speakers. It sounded warm and clean and I was swept away by the romance of vynil.

I got it home and plugged in my vintage Dual 505 turntable. I sat for the rest of the day listening to my old records through my headphones. Bliss.

This amp is very understated and built for purpose. Everything you need is there in plain speak, just plug in and away you go. One little surprise....when you adjust the volume using the supplied remote handset, the volume knob on the amp turns round on it's won.....nice touch.

Currently I've got a pair of budget Acoustic Solutions bookshelf speakers plugged in, as I have a small flat, and the sound is gorgeous. I've also listened with a much larger pair of Aiwa speakers and the sound was glorious, wide and warm. Right now I'm listening to radio 3 courtesy of my Yamaha Natural Sound tuner which I bought in a charity shop for 16. I couldn't be happier.

So basically I highly recommend this amplifier. It is perfect for all sizes of set up and room, and will also drive your home theatre no problem. Five star!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2013 8:43 PM BST

Toshiba 1TB USB 3.5" External Desktop Hard Drive
Toshiba 1TB USB 3.5" External Desktop Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars It's A Time Machine, 4 Oct 2009
Having recently bought an Intel iMac, I was keen to exploit it's Time Machine application as a reliable means of backing up my work. After doing a bit of research I decided the Toshiba 1Tb was the way to go (massive storage for the price/ it's a Western Digital drive inside the case/ great looks/ good feedback). It's small and tough being made of aluminium, and is aesthetically pleasing due to it's finish. Straight out of the box it worked perfectly with the iMac. There is no installation, the computer sees it straight away, and setting up Time machine was painless and quick. When I'm working on the iMac the Toshiba just works quietly away in the background saving all my work. I'm delighted, and highly recommend it.

SonyMDREx35Lpb Closed In-Ear Headphones
SonyMDREx35Lpb Closed In-Ear Headphones

1.0 out of 5 stars What a let down!, 31 Aug 2009
I had been using the earphones from my Samsung phone as an interim solution prior to investing in a set with a long enough cable. I have Sony DJ headphones which I have used in the past but now find too bulky at times, they have fantastic sound however. I thought the sound would be good from these Sony earbuds, but no. The first thing I noticed was how quiet they were and how tinny, I couldn't hear any decent bass. The sound is just thin. After six days they are crackling in the left unit even at moderate volume. Back to the shop this morning. I will invest in something with more oomph next time. Don't buy these unless you like your music quiet and flat. Very disappointing, Sony.

Stalker [DVD]
Stalker [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anatoli Solonitsyn

5.0 out of 5 stars Stalker, 28 Aug 2009
This review is from: Stalker [DVD] (DVD)
When I was first told about Stalker, I thought it sounded boring; one of my Dad's favourite films-long boring silences, grim people in grim environments, close-ups of tortured expressions. I did however relish the challenge of something a little more culturally nourishing, being a fan of the more easy-to-watch sci-fi genre.

It took me a while to get what was happening, then once over the rather slow beginning ten minutes, the film opened up. B&W becomes vivid colour, the beauty of the abandoned industrial landscape of 'The Zone', the background music, the whole atmosphere is hypnotic. I do concede that some of the dialogue is lost on me; it is an existensial work after all. This worried me initially as I felt dumb for not 'getting it' first time round. I have since learnt that most people will absorb it over several viewings. I intend to watch Stalker again soon and absorb some more.

So, even if you find this kind of film intimidating, do give it a go. You may well, as I did, find it a rewarding experience, posing many questions Stalker will stay in your mind for a long time.

Belkin Class 2 Bluetooth USB Adapter (Version 2.0 + EDR)
Belkin Class 2 Bluetooth USB Adapter (Version 2.0 + EDR)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wee Beauty, 27 May 2009
Straight from the box to my apple keyboard. No installation necessary. It works perfectly with my eMac which is running os x 10.4.11, and my Samsung G600 phone. The phone comes with no Apple support but I find this to be an even better method of file transfer. It is small, fast and good looking. Highly recommended!

Snowflake Midnight
Snowflake Midnight
Price: 9.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep Listening, 10 Oct 2008
This review is from: Snowflake Midnight (Audio CD)
Don't listen too closely to the above reviews. I am also a huge M.Rev fan and was nervous about buying this release. However, after only a couple of listens I am glad to say that I love this album already. OK, it's quite different to their previous work, but is as unique as is every one of their albums. So get it, listen and absorb. It's gorgeous.

Author! Author!
Author! Author!

5.0 out of 5 stars At Long Lost Last!, 8 April 2007
This review is from: Author! Author! (Audio CD)
I agree with everyone about the painful wait to buy this album on CD. I even considered buying a vynil to Mac deck to get my beloved record onto my iPod. A long wait over and once again a joy to hear these immaculte and beautiful songs. I actually bought my copy on line from Avalanche in Edinburgh (my home town), so for me it has extra 'Tartan Value".

It has to be in my all time top three albums, a love affair lasting 25 years.

LaCie Mobile Hard Drive, Design by F.A. Porsche, 5400 RPM, 80GB, Hi speed USB 2, Mac and PC plug and play

5.0 out of 5 stars A Big Little Drive, 23 Jan 2007
I've just bought one of these drives second hand. When the box arrived in the post I thought it was empty because it was so light. This drive is tiny! Considering it's massive capacity. It is plug and play and compatible across both Mac and Windows platforms. Being portable in essence, Porsche has designed it to run off the computers power via the USB connection. Also being housed in metal it is a tough wee bugger; Get one and be glad!