Profile for Kev and Jen > Reviews

Content by Kev and Jen

Kev and Jen (Aberdeenshire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Soundfly AUX OUT MP3 Player Car Fm Transmitter for SD Card, USB Stick, Mp3 Players (iPod, Zune)
Offered by SATECHI

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth paying the extra for this product., 23 Sep 2014
I got this because my car CD player wasnt working properly and hoped this would be an effective "replacement" to play music through the radio instead. Ive had it a few days now and I am very impressed so far. It is easy to load music onto a sd card (just drag and drop) which just slots in the side of the device. Just tune your radio to that of the device and you get great sound quality. I also like the look of it as it doesnt look cheap at all- far better than the others Ive purchased previously. It does seem of robust construction too so Im hoping it will last. It does cost more than similar products but in my opinion it is certainly worth it. The only niggle I have is that the playing of different albums etc isnt as intuitive as it could be. The manual is fairly thin but I think Ive now managed to figure out how the menu system works. But I would certainly recommend this product.

Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens
Offered by maztliach

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens, 21 Sep 2013
This is a great prime lens and although I already have a nifty fifty it was quite often not wide enough for the photos I wanted. So I took a punt on this and love it. Its wide enough for my needs and image quality is fantastic.
One benefit over my 50mm is that this is also a DX lens which means it will autofocus on not only my D7000 but my D3100 which I use to take on holidays due to its smaller size. Talking of size the lens is actually a bit bigger and chunkier than the 50mm which surprised me but maybe thats due to its focusing ability.
So this actually suits my needs and I havent used any other lens since I got it. OK, I'll still use the 200mm lens when I absolutely need to but as both a portrait or walkabout lens this one is great.

Nokia Lumia 720 Sim Free Windows Smartphone - Black
Nokia Lumia 720 Sim Free Windows Smartphone - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone & Love Windows, 4 Aug 2013
Being a previous appleite and dipped my toe into android waters I wanted something that was a) cheaper than an iphone but b) wasnt as glitchy as android. So I went for a Nokia Lumia 720 because it runs on windows.

In respect to the phone: its a nice size though not "small", buttons seem secure and easy to operate, nice bright screen, call quality good, comfortable to use, excellent battery (I get a couple of days before charger), sound quality on the music player is good and seems to match the iphone, and is a great price.
In respect to windows, as its a closed operating system like iOS it works seamlessly with lots of integration between social network sites and the phone, I love the live tiles- its ice to have photo contacts on the home page but e.g. next calendar appointments also show on the live tile, set up with emails and facebook is very simple, nice looking phone at great price for what you get.

To be fair I'll also mention slight negatives: there arent millions of apps like with iphones but this is improving all the time. But there are apps for most things (though not Sky Go which is disappointing), You can also get a cheaper Lumia phone such as the 520 or 620; smaller screens but great value. Apps take a millisecond longer to load than with an iphone but nothing drastic.

I would thoroughly recommend getting this phone on sim free - over the next 24 months comparing it to an iphone contract I will be paying around a third to a half of the cost.

Great phone, love the operating system and great value for money.

VANGUARD Alta+ 263AGH Aluminium Tripod with GH-100 Pistol Grip Ball Head
VANGUARD Alta+ 263AGH Aluminium Tripod with GH-100 Pistol Grip Ball Head

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tripod, 4 Aug 2013
After much research I went for this tripod because a) it seemed very sturdy and b) I liked the sound of the gun grip. Some reviews said the gun grip wasnt perfect but I would thoroughly recommend it. It makes adjustments very simple and quick. Tiny adjustments are also easy.
Its also simple to adjust the tension on the grip and it can be locked solidly in place.
Some reviews said the grip was difficult to get in the bag but I dont know if I have a different bag but there isnt a problem with this. Can be stored and transported without having to remove the grip which is a bonus.
Due to its design the spirit level is hidden under the head but this isnt a problem for me. Its also heavier than some tripods but I take reassurance from this although if you're lugging it up and down vale then maybe pay more for a carbon fibre one (or less for a plastic one).
Over all Im very pleased and impressed. Looks the part, very pro looking and very effective.
Great price too on Amazon as it includes the head (£70 if bought separately)

TRIXES Jewellers Lens 40 X 25mm Loupe Eye Magnifier LED Light
TRIXES Jewellers Lens 40 X 25mm Loupe Eye Magnifier LED Light
Offered by Digiflex

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 21 Jan 2013
For the low cost I wasnt sure how good this was going to be but was pleasantly surprised. The magnification is very good and very clear. I wasnt sure how much the built in light would help but it can make a big difference in darker conditions. Build quality also seems reasonable and it comes in a little box for protection. Might not be up to professional quality but for general use it is well worth the money.

Draper 27298 Tyre Tread Depth Gauge
Draper 27298 Tyre Tread Depth Gauge

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple to Use - does the job, 21 Jan 2013
This is simple to use and for the low cost it is helpful to have in the car to ensure tyres are not below the legal tread depth.

BabyDan Choke Tester [Baby Product]
BabyDan Choke Tester [Baby Product]
Offered by SAFETOTS

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful & Sturdy Product, 21 Jan 2013
This product replicates the throat size of a child under 36 months. If an item or toy fits wholly inside it then it has the potential to choke a young child. Helpful to have it round the house and although its not calibrated it would help any parent. Easy to use and made of solid plastic.

Neewer 0.45X 52Mm Wide Angle Lens With Macro For For Nikon D90, D300, D300S, D3, D3X, D5000, D3100, D3000, D80, D100, D200, D40, D40X, D50, D60, D70, D700, D7000, 18-55Mm F/3.5-5.6G Ed Ii Af-S Dx
Offered by Happy Sales UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price, 15 Jan 2013
I wasnt expecting much from this lens for less than a tenner but I was pleasantly surprised. Ive tried it on various lenses and it works best on my 50mm prime lens, less so on a 200mm zoom (which suffered from plenty of chromatic aberation at the edges of the lens). However when sticking to the prime lens I do get an improved macro image - better than expected. The magnification is not huge (0.45) but significant enough for me to keep using it. I would recommend this for anyone wanting to try and get better macro images though dont expect to be able to get too close. You'll need to pay a lot more for that but this is certainly worth its low price (providing it works well on your lens).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2014 11:34 PM GMT

Polaroid Universal Cloth Flash Diffuser for Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Panasonic, Pentax, Sigma & Other External Flash Units

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and functional, 15 Jan 2013
I like this product because it is easy to store in my camera bag and does the job of softening the flash. The flash is certainly improved from the tests Ive done - less sharp shadows and better skin tone. I thought I might have to adjust the flash settings to compensate but so far that doesnt seem to be the case. It is quite a tight fit on to the flash but I just leave it on most of the time. So its cheap, functional and easy to store.

Garden Hanging Bird Table
Garden Hanging Bird Table

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic but good bird table, 15 Jan 2013
This review is from: Garden Hanging Bird Table (Misc.)
I was looking for something cheaper than the usual £20+ for a bird table in the shops although I knew quality would suffer a bit. However how substantial does a bird table need to be? This one seems absolutely fine. Some reviews say its a bit small but I think its fine - big enough for the small to average birds which has the advantage of keeping bigger birds like crows away. You do have to screw the supports to the base and roof but thats easy and only takes a couple of minutes. Over all for the price I think this is quite a good table and certainly worth the price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3