Profile for Joseph D. Holman > Reviews

Content by Joseph D. Holman

Joseph D. Holman (Leicestershire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
DURAGADGET 'Tough' Rigid Black Zip Case With Elasticated Interior Strap Custom Designed For The Microsoft Surface RT / Pro & Surface 2 / Pro 2 (Windows 8 RT, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB Tablet)
Offered by GADGETPLUSUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, 18 Feb 2014
For the price, I really didn't expect much from this case, but I have been pleasantly surprised. So far, it has stood up to the punishment of being stuffed in a backpack with books, folders, etc on a daily basis. While designed for the Surface RT, the thicker Pro fits nice and snugly, although the pen can't be kept attached to the side for it to fit. Glad I gave it a try!

Expert Shield - THE Crystal Clear Screen Protector for: Microsoft Surface RT & Windows 8 Pro 10.6" Tablet *Lifetime Guarantee*
Offered by Expert Shield

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good!, 10 Feb 2014
First screen protector I've ever managed to apply without getting loads of bubbles under it - that alone makes this a great product, because I'm terrible at this sort of thing, yet even I could do it. Very clear instructions, and the guarantee removes any apprehension about doing it wrong.

You can barely see that it's on there (obviously you can see the edges and camera cut-outs), but, otherwise, it looks just like the bare glass. Unfortunately, it doesn't feel like it. While it doesn't seem to affect the pen functionality (awesome), it does seem to add some resistance when navigating with your fingers - things like swiping don't feel smooth, and moving your finger across it can make it squeak, and, since Windows 8 has a lot of swipe-based gestures, it's quite noticeable. I'm hoping that this will become less of a problem as I break it in (I've polished the hell out of it, and it does seem to be a bit better), but, right now, it's the reason I can't give it 5 stars. If this problem goes away after some use, I will happily update my review to 5 stars, because, otherwise, it's great.

Samsung Desktop Dock for Galaxy Note - Black
Samsung Desktop Dock for Galaxy Note - Black
Offered by Fast Link

2.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate Description, 8 May 2012
The description states that the dock has additional volume controls on the side - it does not. The description also states that a "pass-through USB connection allows you to synchronise and charge your device while it is in the dock" - it does not. In fact, the included manual states "Data synchronization is unavailable when you connect your dock to your PC via a USB cable", which really sucks - this was the main reason I got the dock. Don't worry, it gets worse; the manual also states that "We recommend charging the desktop dock with the travel adapter because there maybe [sic] a risk of damaging your PC when charging via a USB cable" - so, not only can I not sync to my PC with this dock, I shouldn't connect it to my PC *AT ALL*. I believe this is the definition of false advertising, and, if anyone from Samsung sees this, you need to change the description, pronto.

As other reviewers have stated, all you get in the box is the dock - no USB cable, no audio cable - nothing, nada, zip. For the price, this really is ridiculous, particularly when you consider the issues I've stated above.

As it stands, I would not recommend this product to anyone that wants a useful desktop dock - at present, this is nothing more than an extension for the normal phone charger. The only reason it got 2 stars is because the dock itself is quite well put together, and is aesthetically pleasing - if you're expecting anything more than those two things from this product then you will likely be disappointed.

If I was looking for a dock today with the benefit of hindsight, I would steer well clear of this overpriced, misrepresented, featureless piece of plastic.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2012 7:11 PM BST

Special Offer: Mens Boxer Shorts Underwear Small To Extra Large Sizes (Pack Of 6)
Price: £8.90 - £11.33

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID, 28 Jan 2012
Boxers are of terrible quality and there's noticeable variance in size between each pair. As another reviewer has stated, these are practically single-use boxers - avoid.

Canon imageFORMULA P-150 High Speed Portable Document Scanner
Canon imageFORMULA P-150 High Speed Portable Document Scanner

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Mar 2011
What can I say about this product other than that it is fan-bloody-tastic? I don't really know. I guess a quick run down will suffice...

- Scanning speed on the default settings is exceptional for a device being powered by USB alone. It slows down a bit when upping the DPI, but that's to be expected.
- Scans are crystal clear
- Sheet feeder works extremely well
- No software to install - can be run directly from the internal memory on the scanner
- Not as heavy as you might expect - I can carry this with a ton of books, stationary, and a netbook in a backpack all day

The only downside about this product is that you have to buy the case separately, and it is rather expensive from most places, but then that's not really a flaw with the scanner itself, is it?

I am a university student, and I use this thing every day, and I can honestly say that, overall, it is awesome. If you scan a lot of documents on the road, or are simply short of desk space in your office, the P150 is absolutely for you. If you are experiencing any doubt as to whether or not this scanner is to good to be true, take it from me - it's real, and it's awesome.

Belkin Backpack for Upto 15.6 inch Notebooks - Black
Belkin Backpack for Upto 15.6 inch Notebooks - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for uni, 5 Feb 2011
2014 EDIT: Still rocking this bag 3 years later. What more can I say?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought this bag because I was sick of twisting my spine with over-the-shoulder bags, and already this is making a huge difference - the bag is extremely comfortable, even when worn for long periods of time.

I use the bag everyday, and I carry an NC10 netbook, a couple of books, notepads, stationary, a Canon P-150 portable scanner, and a collection of various cables. Even with all of that in the bag, there is still room for me to pack in my hat and gloves, and an umbrella on a rainy day. Basically, this bag is extremely roomy.

Quality-wise, I have yet to see any issues with the bag, although I have only had it for a few weeks at this point. My experience up to this point does seem to say to me that this bag should last a while.

Overall, I would recommend this backpack for anyone that needs to carry more than just a laptop - if you are looking for JUST a laptop backpack, Belkin do a slimline version that would probably be less cumbersome, but, as I said, if you're carrying anything more then this is the backpack for you.

NOTE: The bag itself doesn't look *exactly* like the image shown on the page. The black bit at the bottom bulges out a little, and the overall colour of the bag is really black, not the almost greyish colour it appears as in the picture. Also, the bag will only look the way it does in the picture when it is packed to its absolute capacity.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2012 8:35 AM BST

Xbox 360 Quick Charge Kit - White (Xbox 360)
Xbox 360 Quick Charge Kit - White (Xbox 360)

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely poor quality, 23 Jan 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I have encountered the same issue that some other reviewers have - one side of the charger broke within a matter of two days, and the charger can now only charge a single battery. The charger emits a high frequency whistling when charging, and interferes with radio devices, such as wireless headphones. Even when simply plugged in and not charging there is a slight whistle, and again, interference with other wireless devices.

Overall, this is a terrible product, one which I recommend you avoid - you would be far better off simply purchasing some rechargeable AA batteries and a standard charger.

Arctic Silver ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover & Surface Purifier 60ml Kit
Arctic Silver ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover & Surface Purifier 60ml Kit
Offered by ADMI Limited UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job!, 20 Jan 2011
This was the first time I have used a 'professional' CPU cleaning solution, and I don't think I will be going back. The cleaner made removing the gunk far easier than any other time I have had to do it. Can't really say much more to be honest, other than the fact that this is great value for money - you only need a tiny bit to clean off the old gunk, meaning that the bottle is good for several tens of cleaning runs.

Corsair CWCH50-1 Water Cooler
Corsair CWCH50-1 Water Cooler

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising results, 20 Jan 2011
Some people warned me against getting this cooler, telling me I was wasting my money, etc. Well, after installing and using this cooler for several hours now, I can say that I have been pleasantly surprised with the results. At idle, my Q9550 runs at just over 20C, and gets into the 50C range on load. This, compared to ~46C idle and way into the 60/70C range on load with the stock fan, is a drastic improvement. As a result, I am happy to recommend this product.

As others have said, installation is a bit fiddly, but no more so than most things when building a PC - if you have a current build and have to remove your motherboard, you might find it tedious, but it doesn't warrant losing a star.

Overall, for the price, this is a great alternative to the more expensive multi-piece water-cooling kits.

Samsung P2450H 24 inch widescreen 2ms DVI TFT LCD Monitor (Rose Red)
Samsung P2450H 24 inch widescreen 2ms DVI TFT LCD Monitor (Rose Red)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., 16 Jan 2011
For the price you are paying, this monitor is great. Some people don't like the 1920x1080 resolution, but I find it perfect for my uses - having two windows open side-by-side is a nice experience on such a wide monitor, and watching HD videos is a treat. The colours are vibrant, the response time is excellent (I regularly use this monitor for gaming), and it just looks the part. Some other reviewers have complained that the stand cannot be adjusted, but this isn't the case - the screen can indeed be adjusted. The other issue some reviewers have is Samsung's choice of touch sensitive controls over 'real' buttons, and whilst I will admit that at first they were a bit fiddly, they have grown on me. The only real problem is that it is tough to use the controls in the dark due to the lack of a tactile response.

As others have said, the automatic brightness function is useless - it doesn't really detract from the monitor, as the presets are more than sufficient. I was tempted to remove a star for this reason, but since it isn't integral to the operation of the monitor I didn't think it warranted it.

Overall, another very good product from Samsung.

Page: 1 | 2