Profile for Daniel > Reviews

Content by Daniel

Daniel (London, UK)

Klipsch Image S4i Headphones -with built-in mic (iPhone Compatible)
Klipsch Image S4i Headphones -with built-in mic (iPhone Compatible)
Offered by electronicworld36

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 23 April 2010
At last what I've been looking for. Good sound quality, pretty design and very, very useful now that also the volume control is integrated such that you don't have to fiddle around with the iPhone in your pocket when you want to change the volume. I've tried out various other products before. Some didn't have good sound quality. Some were too heavy. Some had too small a button to easily find when picking up a call. I have no such complaints with his one.

Griffin Headphone Adapter for iPhone Black
Griffin Headphone Adapter for iPhone Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 14 May 2008
Yes, it lets you connect your earphone set into the recessed iPhone jack. Better than the Belkin adapter it also bends around and doesn't stick out of the iPhone. However, it doesn't let you start or stop the music. It doesn't contain a mouthpiece and worst of all, it doesn't seem to do the disconnect properly. This meant that often when a call came in, I unplugged the the adapter but the iPhone thought they were still in. So I couldn't hear a thing.

Belkin iPhone Headphone Adapter - 3.5Mmstereo-M to F - 2.5 Inches
Belkin iPhone Headphone Adapter - 3.5Mmstereo-M to F - 2.5 Inches
Offered by Euro Batteries

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but my break your earphones cable, 14 May 2008
I got the adapter because I wanted to use my iPhone with high quality earphones I used to use for my iPod. But because of the recessed headphone jack they wouldn't fit properly. This adapter solves the problem, but it doesn't let you stop and start your music like the standard iPhone earphones. Worse though it is a relatively long and sturdy piece such that my earphone cable would bend right at the edge. Finally it broke and I could throw away an expensive earphone set.

Dungeons And Dragons [DVD] [2001]
Dungeons And Dragons [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Justin Whalin
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Really not that bad, 14 April 2008
Maybe it all depends on your expectations, but having read all the reviews here, I felt the need to say something more positive. Yes, there maybe faults, but I still thing this movie is far better than many other game-made-into-movie attempts (Mortal Combat or Doom for example). It's not like the games, in fact, which I believe to be an advantage. But it's fantasy, it's got the different races and some weirder creatures (I quite like the Beholder), it's got good looking actors (maybe not the dwarf), some battles and some romance. It's not a character drama if you're looking for it, but serves well enough for some light Sunday morning family entertainment.

The God Delusion
The God Delusion
by Richard Dawkins

4.0 out of 5 stars A direct and unabashed attack on religion in any form, 10 Dec. 2006
This review is from: The God Delusion (Hardcover)
Being an atheist and fan of Dawkins' scientific writings, as most readers undoubtedly are, it was only natural to read this book. Succinctly put, it's a great summary of his thoughts on religion and related subjects. The only reason I've given four stars instead of five is Dawkins' apparent anger over religion that manifests itself in sarcastic or sometimes even openly insulting phrases. An earlier reviewer attributed this to Dawkins' "arrogance and zeal." To my mind his writing sounds more like that of a person who has seriously suffered at the hands of religious people, which I doubt he has.

On the positive side, I was more than happy that someone wrote such an honest and unarguably learned book on the subject. Surely it will not convince any truly religious person to switch camps, but it gives great ammunition to doubters, and it makes doubting a virtue! From my perspective the biggest point he makes is that atheists do not need to be overly respectful of religion and constantly hide their non-belief when talking to religious people.

To be clear this book does not strive to provide evidence against God and for His non-existence. It "merely" destroys existing attempts to prove the existence of Him (or Her?). It also shows that science and religion are not simply two different views of the world. The crucial difference is that scientifically minded people can challenge their own beliefs whenever they want to (they should do more often, but that's another matter) while religious people cannot do this by definition. Without science we would not be able to build churches and write a Bible or a Koran. Without religion, well imagine ...!

Another interesting thing about this book is that Dawkins lets the reader in on some other opinions he has on currently debated subjects, such as the Iraq war, the Muslim burka, abortion, and the modern obsession of politically correct writing (e.g. his and her - or her and his?). You have to read carefully though to find these bits.

Finally I've found it almost scary that a large number of writers and authors whose books I cherish seem to be Dawkins' personal friends, e.g. Daniel Dennett, Douglas Adams, Matt Ridley, and even Philipp Pullman whose Northern Lights trilogy I can only recommend to grown-ups and children alike.