Profile for Md Lachlan > Reviews

Content by Md Lachlan

Md Lachlan (London UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Dragon Queen (Memory of Flames 5)
Dragon Queen (Memory of Flames 5)
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great imaging of classic fantasy beast, 29 Mar 2014
Super stuff, political machinations, awesome dragons, each with their own personality and agenda.
A great take on this classic fantasy beast.

The Alchemist of Souls (Angry Robot)
The Alchemist of Souls (Angry Robot)
by Anne Lyle
Price: 6.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and fun, 2 Jan 2014
A great mix of fantasy and history - original and fun. The great thing about this is that it brings an existing myth - that of the Skraylings - to vivid life.

The Night Circus
The Night Circus
by Erin Morgenstern
Price: 3.86

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have done with a chop, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Night Circus (Paperback)
I didn't finish this book, so maybe three stars is generous. The best aspect of the book is the detail of the imagined world. Unfortunately, it's also the worst aspect too as there is just far too much of it. We have interminable descriptions of wondrous acts, stupendous meals, clever tricks and devices. Individually, each is charming. However, they go on and on and on and on.
The book could usefully have lost sixty per cent of its length. I was half way through by the time I quit and still nothing had really happened, we were at the set up stage.
The author's writing is good rather than brilliant. She falls back on cliché occasionally and this jars - someone was drawn like a moth to a flame at one point and I wondered why I had paid money to read a book containing such banal description. There are other examples - far from the worst you read in fiction but not near to the best either.
I quit the book with a mild regret. I thought there was a truly excellent story trying to get out but I couldn't bear to wade through another description of a party or a magic display. Also, the book could usefully have been limited to the point of view of the two main characters. I lost focus on what was happening in each story.
There was also a certain smugness to the narration - an idea that you were being teased slightly, details deliberately withheld.
On the positive side, the set ups for each story were intriguing. It's a shame they weren't developed quickly enough.

Helikon Gunfighter Soft Shell Mens Combat Jacket Coyote
Helikon Gunfighter Soft Shell Mens Combat Jacket Coyote
Offered by Bullseye Country Sport
Price: 89.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad., 13 Jan 2013
Does the job for walking the dog, is cheap and has no embarrassing logo.
I found out the velcro patches are associated with the military, so you may appear as something of a weirdo/survivalist to anyone who knows what they are for.
It's a bit short for me and could do with some lower pockets but cheap, water proof so far. Not warm but you can always wear a fleece.

Hundred Years War Vol 2: Trial by Fire v. 2
Hundred Years War Vol 2: Trial by Fire v. 2
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive history, 13 Jan 2013
No more to say, really. Incredible detail, readable, scholarly. It's a must for anyone interested in this period. On top of this, of course, the history itself is tremendously exciting.

Atlas Shrugged (Penguin Modern Classics)
Atlas Shrugged (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Ayn Rand
Price: 7.69

1.0 out of 5 stars Depressing, narrow-minded, poorly written bilge, 16 Dec 2012
A book for morons by a moron. This book is the most effective intelligence test I can imagine. If you like it, you're stupid. Furthermore, you have no idea about what makes interesting complex characters or how good novelists construct original and arresting sentences. Wooden in every aspect. I'm surprised it doesn't in fact come in a wooden cover. With wood pages. And more wood stuck to it somewhere.
The idea that the rich are the drivers of the economy is hilarious. No, dear, that would be the poor.
I am an atheist but the fact this woman finished up on benefits at the end of her life almost makes me believe in divine justice.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2012 5:33 PM GMT

Accessory Village Sports Neck Strap Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Headphones / Headset With built in Microphone & USB Charging Cable (Compatible With Apple iPod Touch 3 & 4 / iPad 1 & 2 / iPhone 4S & 4 & 3 / HTC / Samsung / Blackberry / Skype)
Offered by Accessory Village Ltd
Price: 49.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but why do we need the flashing light?, 11 Dec 2012
Reasonable sound quality - I use them for exercising because I hate the pull of a cord on my ears. The build quality is OK. My first pair disintegrated after about a year. If they got rid of the flashing light I would be very grateful. People assume I chose that and therefore am an idiot. I've had to gaffa tape mine over. It looks bad but it's better than going around with people thinking you reckon you're Robocop.

Positively Happy: Cosmic Ways To Change Your Life
Positively Happy: Cosmic Ways To Change Your Life
by Noel Edmonds
Price: 6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars I know what would make me happy, 14 Oct 2012
I can only think that, if Noel Edmunds is happy, he possesses neither a mirror nor any self awareness whatsoever.
What would make me positively happy would be Edmunds disappearing from our screens forever. The book does not tell me how to achieve that, which I feel is an oversight.
Also, whenever I've ever read an interview with Edmunds, he sounds as miserable as sin. The following quote from 2008: "I find it extraordinary that we live in millions of little prisons called our homes, with burglar alarms, when a relatively small number of people walk around free. We need to build bigger prisons." Is your home 'a prison with a burglar alarm?'. I live in a city centre and I leave my door on the latch most of the time. Perhaps his next book should be on 'managing celebrity paranoia'.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2014 10:49 AM BST

Trouble Over Bridgwater
Trouble Over Bridgwater
Offered by actionrecords
Price: 12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good album that you would do well to listen to, 6 Dec 2011
This review is from: Trouble Over Bridgwater (Audio CD)
A brilliant, funny and musical album. The world would be a better place if more people adopted the lyricist's view of life.

Story: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwriting (Methuen Film)
by Robert McKee

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book. But don't go on the course., 10 Oct 2011
I thought this an excellent and thought-provoking book. So excellent that I signed up about four years ago for McKee's course. Unless it has changed radically since I went on it, he just reads out the book. For two days. I found it mind-numbingly dull and, despite the fact I"d paid a lot of money to attend, left half way through the second day.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3