Profile for M. Ratcliff > Reviews

Content by M. Ratcliff

M. Ratcliff (Norwich, England)

S.H. monstre Godzilla Arts
S.H. monstre Godzilla Arts
Offered by Figurine-collector-fr

4.0 out of 5 stars The sculpt is great, the articulation is good, 15 Oct 2014
This review is from: S.H. monstre Godzilla Arts (Toy)
The sculpt is great, the articulation is good, but not up to the standard of the 2000 model as the tail ends in a joined block rather than individual moveable segments. Also, despite liking it so much, I have to give four stars as the main torso segment is so loose that it comes off completely with very little effort and has to be clipped back on.
That said I love the textures, head details, range of movement, and this particular Godzilla shape and profile in general. I just wish it didn't fall apart quite so easily; that might just be my one though.

Playmobil Pirates 5135 Large Pirate Ship
Playmobil Pirates 5135 Large Pirate Ship

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Pirate Ship, 19 July 2014
I'm writing this a year after purchase, as I think it deserves a review. I got it for my daughters 3rd birthday last year, as it looked like a well made, nice looking ship with lots of the little details kids love - and the sort of thing I used to love (ok I still do!)
I took advice from other reviewers and made it the night before. I also removed all the tinier pieces, and didn't put the string rigging on as my son was only 1 at the time and I didn't want him eating anything he shouldn't.
They have both played with it consistently all year, and as my daughter has grown and been careful with it I have slowly added more parts from the box; it now has all the sails and winch and anchor, although I've still not added all the small bits.
It really is a lovely ship though, it is very well made and durable, and by slowly adding more of the numerous components it's lifespan can be extended. Because of the smaller bits it is unsuitable for very small children, but mine have had a lot of fun with it, so much that we got the Pirate Island for her 4th birthday. I haven't tried putting it in water at all (it seems unnecessary) but we have put an LED tealight in the cabin, which makes it look great in her room at night.

Bose ® SoundLink ® Mini Bluetooth Speaker - SIlver
Bose ® SoundLink ® Mini Bluetooth Speaker - SIlver

5.0 out of 5 stars Fills the room. Awesome., 15 Mar 2014
I read the other reviews. If something gets 5 stars and has 300 plus reviews then you're probably on to something good, so despite the seemingly high price I went for it.
I have not been disappointed - this speaker is awesome, it fills the room.

In this case, you get what you pay for. I thought it was expensive but having listened to it I can understand why, it is a top quality bit of kit, and it is... tiny!

I don't usually write reviews but this deserves yet another 5 stars.

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes: v. 1, 2, 3 (Calvin & Hobbes)
The Complete Calvin and Hobbes: v. 1, 2, 3 (Calvin & Hobbes)
by Bill Watterson

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it's weight!, 24 Jun 2008
The other reviews here pretty much say it all... if you are a fan of Calvin and Hobbes, you are going to love this! And, if you are already a fan, you will undoubtedly own a few worn-out copies of the various collections. I already have most, if not all of the books;
what makes this special and worth having (..in addition!) is the beautiful presentation, in chronological order, of all the strips, with the large cover art added throughout.
It is big, it is heavy, but bearing in mind that it will probably stay put and be well looked after, I don't see any problem with this! It's obviously not intended to be lugged about as your sole copy, and it's nice to have a nice hardback volume to sit and read. If you want portable, take one of your paperbacks. If you want your favourite (and the best, most imaginative, philosophical, entertaining cartoon strip ever) in 3 well-made volumes, then you should really add this to your bookshelf. I just did, having read the previous reviews, and I love it already!
(I've read Calvin and Hobbes through many times, and they just don't date either.. Calvin's comments about the advertising industry, and his Dad's views about t.v, the media, traffic etc are as funny and relevant today as when they were written.)
Not much more to say... if you love Calvin and Hobbes, this collection really is well worth it's weight.