Profile for Ms. N. Brown > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
10 Minute Solution - Pilates [DVD]
10 Minute Solution - Pilates [DVD]

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as later DVDs, 2 Jun. 2014
Having already used the beginners Pilates DVD in this series and loved it, I thought I'd try this as the next obvious level up.

This was the first Pilates DVD in the 10 minute series, and to me it really shows. I think in the later ones they'd ironed out a lot of the kinks, although I can see why this one was such a hit and led to them producing more. The instructor is the same as in the beginners DVD, and still has a great calm manner, but wasn't quite as clear with instructions. Weirdly although I found some of the exercises harder than the beginners DVD I thought a lot were easier. In general the difficulty was down to position and/or breathing instructions rather than an increased intensity or use of new muscles (which is what I was hoping for).

The most annoying bit was the customisable workout feature. It's still there (confusingly called 'extra feature' in the menu), but you seem to have to choose all 5 workouts in an order before playing. This means if you just want to do 20mins you'll have to stop the DVD when it gets to that point. I found this feature in the later DVD a lot easier to use - maybe the technnology has advanced since this one!

Overall if you are trying to pick a DVD from the series I'd choose the beginners one for beginners or another one if you're more experienced. You can tell the later DVDs from the graduated colour on the cover.

10 Minute Solution - Pilates For Beginners [DVD]
10 Minute Solution - Pilates For Beginners [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andrea Ambandos

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, 2 Jun. 2014
This was my first introduction to Pilates, although I've done yoga before. I therefore have no class instructors to compare it to, but I found the presentation was clear and I haven't experienced any problems with injuries.

The DVD is split into 5 sections - 'core' (abs and stomach), arms, legs, total body combo and stretching. You can do one or combine them into a customised workout with the DVD feature which is great. I found all of them quite intensive for a beginner but still doable (I had a reasonable level of fitness before starting). There are adaptations you can do as you get stronger so it's a beginners DVD with a long shelf life.

I found instructions on breathing and technique generally great, on a few of the exercises it wasn't clear exactly when to breathe but I think I've worked it out now. The instructor prompts on common mistakes people make which is really helpful.

It doesn't require any extra equipment but I use a mat as I've got a hardwood floor - you would probably be fine without one on carpet.

Overall a highly recommended exercise DVD. Really good value for money.

Wireless: The Essential Charles Stross
Wireless: The Essential Charles Stross
by Charles Stross

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for fans and new readers alike, 2 Nov. 2011
If you've never read a Charles Stross book before this wouldn't be a bad place to start, it covers some of the styles developed in his longer books and contains some really excellent yarns. The stories vary in length from short one-trick tales to the final story (Palimpsest) which is more like a short novel. What it really showcases is how versatile a SF writer Stross is- this collection contains stories with his own brand of off-beat humour as well as bone-tingling horror side by side.

If you are already a fan of his work this is an excellent addition to any collection. It has a Laundry story in it (Down on the Farm), along with other less humour-laden SF ideas. Some miss the mark a little but overall it's a brilliant collection from one of the modern masters of Science Fiction.

Scribblenauts (Nintendo DS)
Scribblenauts (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars So much fun!, 7 Jan. 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is a brilliant game, and not just for kids.

Although the puzzles are a little basic for adults they are still pretty challenging, and the central idea of the game (you can request any item and get it) is really diverting.

The sheer variety of objects you can get is amazing. If you've ever been playing a game and thought 'well this would be so much simpler if I just had a flame thrower' this is the game for you. Sometimes the product selection can be a little random. I asked for a fly swat and ended up with a member of an army SWAT team. That does just show how varied the objects can be though.

The most fun can be had when you think outside the usual 'ladder' and 'boat' objects. Things like 'interdimensional portal' 'wings' and 'ray gun' are way more fun.

The Alchemaster's Apprentice
The Alchemaster's Apprentice
by Walter Moers

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not brilliant, 7 Jan. 2010
I think this book suffers in comparison to Walter Moer's other books. If you haven't read those, read the 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear, Rumo and the City of Dreaming Books first before this one.

For other fans of his work, this is still a great story and well worth the read. Its got the usual fantastical beasts and new characters.

I think one of the reasons this book isn't as great as his others is that it is largely set in one place. Whilst the descriptions etc are still brilliant, it doesn't use the themes of exploration and discovery as well as his previous novels. There isn't the same sense of wonderment.

Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More
Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More
by Christen Haden

4.0 out of 5 stars Scarily cute stuff, 18 Nov. 2008
This book is brilliant! The patterns are very quick to make up and I've found them especially useful for using up those almost-finished bits of wool that I've got lying around from other projects.

I especially like the Knight pattern, complete with mini crochet helmet and shield, that I made as a gift (perfect for the newly single- why wait for a knight in shining armour when you can crochet one?!).

I also like the way the book is small and hardback- this makes it easy to carry in a bag for crochet on the move.

Only drawback is I want to make so many of these I may get overrun by a mini army of skeletons, zombies and spartan warriors. Also I agree with the first reviewer- don't get this as your very first crochet book, you'll need to know the basic stitches to complete the patterns.

The Unfortunate Traveller and Other Works (English Library)
The Unfortunate Traveller and Other Works (English Library)
by Thomas Nashe

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite authors, 2 Sept. 2008
Most people will only ever read Thomas Nashe as part of a college or university course, and even then it will most likely be a brief mention. However he is well worth paying extra attention to. One of the bad boys of English Literature, Nashe fled London after a disasterous play written with Ben Jonson, for which he would have probably been imprisoned. The play unfortunately hasn't survived, however this book collects together the rest of his most important works, including plays, poetry and prose. It includes the wonderful Lenten Stuffe, which was written in praise of Great Yarmouth, where he went after leaving London, and mostly involves fish.

Well worth getting past his sometimes unconventional writing style for.

Stickerbomb
Stickerbomb
by Studio Rarekwai

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Stickers, 2 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Stickerbomb (Paperback)
This is an excellent book filled with a massive selection of quality stickers. If you like stickers, you'll love this. Most of them have a graffiti feel to them, but some are like mini works of art and are very detailed.

I've already started putting them on everything I own.

Only gets one star dropped for the books smell- its very strong like varnish. But some people might like that! I'm sure it will fade.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2012 2:35 AM BST

I Am Legend (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
I Am Legend (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by Richard Matheson

5.0 out of 5 stars Hair raisingingly good stuff, 3 Aug. 2008
This is a brilliant book, that manages to transcend the boundaries of Science Fiction or Horror genres. It was way ahead of its time.
I think its impact is down to its focus- rather than a overblown description of a post-apocalyptic world where everyone has turned into vampires, it concentrates on the experience of one man. You feel the claustrophobia of Neville as he shuts himself in his house every night, and you sympathise with his loneliness as the last normal man on earth. Even if you're not someone who normally enjoys SF books, this is so well written you can't help but love it.

The ending was so good it made all the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. This isn't just a SF classic, it deserves to be an all-time classic novel.

Tan Lines: A Novel of Sex and Sunburn
Tan Lines: A Novel of Sex and Sunburn
by J. J. Salem

3.0 out of 5 stars Good summer reading fluff, 3 Aug. 2008
This book is a great light summer read, up there with a good Jilly Cooper or Jackie Collins. However, I agree with the previous reviewer who didn't like the ending- it just didn't fit in with the rest of the book. Perfect for the beach though.

Page: 1 | 2