Profile for Janet Fisher > Reviews

Content by Janet Fisher

Janet Fisher (Huddersfield, West Yorkshire United Kingdom)

Real Food: Gluten-free Bread and Cakes from Your Breadmaker
Real Food: Gluten-free Bread and Cakes from Your Breadmaker
by Carolyn Humphries

5.0 out of 5 stars Good food, 16 Jan. 2005
Six months ago I bought this book Very useful details about cooking gf flour in a breadmaker, and loads of delicious-looking recipes. So I had to buy a breadmaker. Seems the wrong way round, but there you go: I always read newspapers back to front. I tried the brown rice flour recipe first, and it was very good. I'm looking forward to trying other recipes. Clear instructions and trouble-shooting section. Quantities are given in 3 modes: metric, lbs&oz, and cups.
The breadmaker I bought was a Panasonic SD 252. It copes very well with gf flour, and I have made the most delicious bread I have tasted for 25 years.

Panasonic SD252 Breadmaker
Panasonic SD252 Breadmaker

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I could have believed, 16 Jan. 2005
I am coeliac, and although gluten-free bread available from chemists and stores is better than it was 25 years ago (anyone remember Rite-Diet tinned bread?), most of is is still pretty unpalatable. So I thought, what the hell and bought this Panasonic model (I read the reviews of this model and others, and they influenced my choice). I've made two gluten free loaves so far - one from a mix and one from a recipe - more of that later. Both were excellent: large loaves, crusty (I haven't eaten proper bread crust for 25 years!), delicious. My only worry now is my expanding waistline.
I've made 'normal' bread as well, for my husband (NB must teach him to use it himself) - a French loaf and a multi-grain. Both excellent.
The instructions are clear. I'm still getting used to the display, which isn't as clear as it could be, but this will improve with familiarity.
Yes, the recipes. Six months ago I bought the book GLUTEN FREE BREAD AND CAKES FROM YOUR BREADMAKER (ISBN 0572030029) available from Amazon. Very useful details about cooking gf flour in a breadmaker, and loads of delicious-looking recipes. So I had to buy a breadmaker. Seems the wrong way round, but there you go: I always read newspapers back to front. I tried the brown rice flour recipe first, and it was very good. I'm going to post this review on the book site as well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2011 5:30 PM BST