Profile for R. Blevins > Reviews

Content by R. Blevins

R. Blevins (Cranleigh - UK)

Braun Oral-B EB25-4 Floss Action Replacement Rechargeable Toothbrush Heads - Pack of 4
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very effective, 22 Dec 2013
I changed to this Floss action design from the normal head approx 12 months ago as I have a real dislike of normal floss and find it both painful and uncomfortable.
Subsequently on each of my last 3 dental appointments my hygienist has commented on just how plaque free my teeth have been.
Definitely very effective and highly recommended.

1914-1918: The History of the First World War
1914-1918: The History of the First World War
by David Stevenson

5.0 out of 5 stars Truely excellent book spoilt by a penny pinching publisher, 2 Oct 2012
The star rating is for the book, the publishers however would not get a single star due to their stupid penny pinching decisions in regards to printing.
After reading Robert K Massies staggeringly readable "Dreadnought" almost non stop detailing the events leading up to the start of the first world war in 1914 due to the quality of writing and clear presentaion of events I was so taken with the subject that I decided that I must follow up with an equaly good history of the conflict itself.
After a lot of research I found almost universal (now known to be well deserved) praise for this book.
This is an excellent book absolutely filled with detailed and informative text that provides an in depth understanding of the world shaping events of 1914 - 1918 as well as an explanation of the subsequent peace aggrement and its effect on Germany.
However reading it has proved to be a difficult labour of love due to the rediculously small font size of print which I can only assume has been chosen to save on paper cost.
What a shame that a masterpiece of modern historical writing should have the reading enjoyment spoilt by a publishers cheap attempt to save pennies.

Veet for Men Hair Removal Gel Creme 200 ml
Veet for Men Hair Removal Gel Creme 200 ml
Price: 6.80

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern day Shroud of Turin, 4 May 2012
After having decided to ape my hero Elton John and go for the complete "Back Sack & Crack" treatment I as many other before me opened the box, discarded the instructions and applied the magic cream, I mean, who but a total moron needs instrctions on how to rub a bit of cosmetic dollop onto their twigs & berrie etc?

Having applied the cream all round the family vegetable plot and getting a "chum" to do the same to my back I decided to lay on my bed for the designated 6 minutes (+ 2 for luck) and let the magic work its wonders. Unfortunately I fell asleep only to wake up 30 minutes later in what appered to be a burning building but not able to see due tand blinded by the tears streaming down my face from the pain of the flames licking round my underrcarridge. Convinced then that the flames had totaly engulfed me and had aready started to cook my entire body I leaped out of my bed and without breaking step dived through the nearest window only to land on the dog who took one look at me, panicked at what he saw, bit me and bolted out of the garden never to be seen again.
Now lying naked and screaming in agony in my front garden with what appeared to be a boiling hot rancid smelling black sludge sliding down my body a passer by called an ambulance although at the time I was begging for the services of an exorcist as it was obvious to me that all of Satans little devils were trying to remove my skin with cheesegraters.
Having been removed to the burns unit of my local hospital I was given pain killers and sedated for 2 weeks and on my release arrived home to find the sheet on my bedsheet idelibly marked with the outline of my body burnt into it like a modern day Shroud of Turin.
As for my back, sack & crack, 3 months later there is still no sign of the smallest hair growing nor I have to say any sign of life in Mr Todger added to which my crinkly cave still looks like an anteater sucking a lemon.
After serious consideration I have decided to give this product 5 stars as the review is for the efficiency of the product rather than the life changing effect of not reading the instructions.

Only Time Will Tell (The Clifton Chronicles)
Only Time Will Tell (The Clifton Chronicles)
by Jeffrey Archer
Price: 12.91

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of paper!, 25 Jun 2011
The book actually started with a possibility of being an entertaining, if lightweight, story but soon turned into possibly the most banal,far fetched and ridiculous tome full of the most stereotypical depictions of all the various social groups in the story, compounded by the most unbelievable charecters i.e. "VC hero hiding in an old railway carriage and called "Old Jack Tar" and storylines such as all old Jacks ex soldier mates who all of course owe their lifes to him,including the main villian's own Father, all being in convinent positions of authority in relation to the early life of the central charecter.

After the non stop eternal misery misery and misfortune experienced by the mother (although someone or something always happens to overcome it) and the actions of the women beating, drunked, murdering, absolute bounder who put her in the family way years ago the only thing missing from this plot is him tieing her to the railway tracks only for her to be rescued by Lassie.

As the book progesses the plot increasingly continues to thin and the banality continues to thicken at the same rate until its mind boggling and final unbeliveable chapters.

This is set to be just the first book in a series about this continuing family saga, as far as I'm concerned it was one too many.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2013 3:31 PM GMT

ASUS Eee PC 904HD BK003X Netbook, Windows XP Preloaded, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of kit, 19 Dec 2008
Recived mine this week and I can't believe how simple it was to set up and how well it performs. I was on line and e-mailing within 10 minutes of turning it on for the first time and that only because I followed each step of the quick start guide slowly.
Extreamly long battery life, at present getting around 4.5 to 5 hours which is 3 times more than my regular 800 HP laptop. I purchased this unit for when I'm travelling and reckon it's will be great for this, having said that, I've been using it all day at home as well while my wife grabs the HP and it's been no effort to do so.
well built and very light with a very neat and small power supply. and seems quite robust.
Small mouse touch pad a little fiddly but this is a mini laptop. Used with a cordless mouse it's perfect.
highly recomended

Update to my review, 20/11/09
Almost 12 months on and it's still a great piece of kit. It has accumulated a lot of airmiles and been used in some far flung destinations without missing a beat. The money I've saved by using the netbook with Skype for international phone calls has already more than recoved the original cost.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2012 5:17 PM BST