Profile for Melanie G > Reviews

Content by Melanie G

Melanie G (Oxfordshire, UK)

A Shed Of One's Own: Midlife Without the Crisis
A Shed Of One's Own: Midlife Without the Crisis
by Marcus Berkmann
Price: 9.46

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will damage your health, 18 Feb 2012
I should perhaps explain. Married to a man of a certain age, the sidelong glances I was throwing in his direction whilst reading this book have given me aching eyeballs and the hint of a squint. This, combined with constantly trying to stifle a chuckle and biting a tongue desperate to mutter 'that's you, that is' in a Newman & Baddiel fashion have rendered me a mass of ticks and twitches.

I loved it. I recognised almost all of the symptoms in my fellow sofa-dweller, and am now prepared for those that will almost inevitably manifest themselves over the next few years. As for me, I'd always prided myself on avoiding the slightest whiff of old-fartage, but I now have to shamefully recognise that I'm not quite as fragrant as I'd hoped. Reading the observation that no-one uses the word 'slacks' any more just twenty four hours after I'd said exactly the same thing did it for me.

Buy it for yourself, and buy it for everyone you know over the age of 45. They'll thank you for providing them with evidence that they are not alone.

The Year Of The Balls 2008: A Disrespective
The Year Of The Balls 2008: A Disrespective
by jarrod kimber
Price: 9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The best cricket book I've read this week, 10 July 2009
If you're after a gentle, balanced, unbiased view of the 2008 cricketing year, then I'd give this book a berth wider than Dwayne Leverock's underpants. If, however, you want bite, wit, irreverence, and enjoy a good rant then this is the book for you.

* Find out why Danni Minogue's nostrils played a part in India beating Australia.

* Feel your pulse quicken as you read `In Bed with Jacques Kallis'; everyone's favourite cricketing love god.

* Worry about the author's obsession with Nice Bryce McGain and Dirty Dirk Nannes

* Discover why Andrew Strauss is just the player you need to protect your daughter's virginity

Whether you're interested in Test cricket, English county cricket or the IPL you'll find something to disagree with within these pages; but for every fist you shake I guarantee you will stand up and applaud ten times more. It's cricket with balls and I loved it.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket?: An Addict's Guide to the World's Most Exasperating Game
by Lawrence Booth

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely enjoyable and entertaining...., 28 Nov 2008
This is a corker of a book, which would appeal to both the hardened anorak wearer and those who couldn't care less about Bradman's career average. It's witty, informative, irreverent, inclusive, and takes self-deprecation to the nth degree (a quality sadly lacking in many cricket writers). I read the whole thing with a smile on my face and defy anyone not to chortle whilst reading the extracts from Graham Gooch's Indian blogs.

If you are lucky enough to find Lawrence in your stocking this Christmas, you won't be disappointed.