Profile for Sharon Shinwell > Reviews

Content by Sharon Shinwell

Sharon Shinwell "Sharon" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Acer K242HLbd, 24 inch Wide LED DVI EcoDisplay
Acer K242HLbd, 24 inch Wide LED DVI EcoDisplay

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sized screen, no dead pixels, needed to update PC drivers for Display for correct resolution, 16 May 2015
Had some problems initially as I couldn't get the picture right, it stretched everything sideways. Messed around with the settings, updated my Windows 7 (Dell) PC, but nothing seemed to work. The problem was that the resolution I needed wasn't listed in the drop down choices available. Then another purchaser suggested checking out the driver for a Monitor in Display. I found it (nothing to do with Acer) and updated that and bingo, a load more resolution settings appeared in the list, selected the right one and everything looked right, no more stretched circles or text. The screen is nice and clear, no dead pixels, big enough for my music editing but doesn't seem as sharp for text as my BenQ, hence the 4 stars.

I wouldn't have thought of checking the driver had another buyer not told me, as Windows was telling me all my drivers were up to date, when obviously they weren't! So thanks for the responses I got when I asked the questions - previous buyer's experiences is invaluable.

TP-LINK TL-WN822N 300MBPS High Gain Wireless N USB Adapter
TP-LINK TL-WN822N 300MBPS High Gain Wireless N USB Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat with my Windows 7 PC and Sky Router., 16 May 2015
Bought this for my PC which is upstairs, Sky router downstairs. Old wireless network adapter seemed to be picking up everyone else's signal in the road but not ours so decided after changing cables, and still no connection it was time to buy a new adapter. When I plugged this in a message came up telling me that Windows (7) could not install the drivers, but as the instructions specify that you need to stop windows doing this anyway, I just went ahead and put the installation CD in my PC, followed the very clear, precise installation instructions, and everything worked as it should and have. Network now connected with a good signal and for some reason seems to work faster than my hardwired PC downstairs! Didn't purchase through Amazon as their postage charges made this more expensive than other options.

Neudorff Plant Flycatchers (10 Pieces)
Neudorff Plant Flycatchers (10 Pieces)

4.0 out of 5 stars Works really well at catching Fungus Knats/Sciarid flies from house plant compost, 17 Mar. 2015
Sciarid flies / Fungus gnats started appearing in our house after re-potting some house plants, so the larvae must have been already in the compost. It seems is an ongoing problem with compost that is stored outdoors at garden centers. After researching it appeared there were only 2 solutions, chemicals that you pour on the compost or you catch the flies as they land and take off with sticky paper. The chemicals are very expensive, so opted for the cheaper solution of sticky fly paper (not the tubes that pull out and hang in an ugly spiral). They work a treat providing the flies land on them, we have one label stuck in each pot and there are now lots of flies stuck to each one, in fact I'm horrified as to how many there are! Hopefully as the adult fly numbers decrease, new larvae will too and the cycle will end. 4 weeks into the process we still have flies adding themselves to the sticky sheets, some are so full now I am going to have to buy more, will search again to see if I can find cheaper ones than these as they are expensive for what is technically a label coated with self-adhesive glue.

6oz Hip Flask - With Pouring Funnel. Ideal Wedding / Birthday Present.
6oz Hip Flask - With Pouring Funnel. Ideal Wedding / Birthday Present.
Offered by Gift Cookie

5.0 out of 5 stars It didn't leak at all!, 2 Mar. 2015
It didn't leak the whole week I used on our skiing trip, which is good to know as so many do! Probably why it's a little dearer than some others. The top is easy to unscrew/screw and after emailing them about how to tell them what I wanted engraving on it, they sent it out as promised. There does need to be a better method of passing on this info on at the point of purchase but other than this I am more than happy with my purchase.

Mountain Warehouse Merino Womens Round Neck Baselayer Ski Walking Wicking Antibacterial Thermal Top

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy for the price, kept me warm and dry on Piste!, 2 Mar. 2015
Thought I'd wait until I'd skied in this before I left a review...now just back. I have a rather pricey Icebreaker merino top that I bought about 10 years ago and it has lasted well (having said that I only used it for 1 week each year) but it was getting a little tight and when I looked at the prices this year I just couldn't justify the cost, so went for this. The size 20 I bought truly was a 20 and not at all tight fitting - when you aren't so small you don't want a top that hugs you especially when you take your jacket off. This merino base layer is a lot thinner than the Icebreaker one, but this was advantageous as the temperature never dropped below -5 and I found this was all I needed on under my padded ski jacket. If I needed more, I just added a fleece which is the norm. It kept me warm and dry and has washed well, so for the money it's a great buy and when I need to, I will buy another. Check out the price on the seller's own website before you buy, as they sometimes differ!

IBD Just Gel Polish Mango Mischief LED and UV Pure Gel 14ml
IBD Just Gel Polish Mango Mischief LED and UV Pure Gel 14ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Like IBD Just Gels, nice shade, but didn't perform as well as others, 13 Jan. 2015
Used IBD Gel before and found them to be a step up from the Bluesky/CCO, but not as expensive as Harmony Gelish, so a good "in-between" for home use. This particular shade is a halfway between deep red and orange. It was thinner in consistency than I would have liked and needed 3 coats to get a solid colour. It did start to peel after a few days, which was disappointing considering that the Smokey Plum shade stayed on so long I had about 3mm of nail growth showing at the bottom when I finally took it off! I will continue to buy this make as I have found that some shades of the more expensive Gels also peel/ware off at the tips after a few days - I think the variation in UV exposure time, the thickness of the base coat and top coat, and the pigments in the colour can effect how well the polish performs.

Parlux 3200 Compact Hair Dryer Raunchy Red
Parlux 3200 Compact Hair Dryer Raunchy Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy with the quality and spec - after many hours researching!, 25 Dec. 2014
Spent weeks researching hair dryers after I dropped my faithful 1700 watt Turbo one which snapped one of the internal supports that hold the motor in place. I have no doubt that it would have gone on forever had this not happened. I didn't realise it was Parlux as I had bought it through a hair dresser 10 years ago, but after searching the model name and images, I realised that's what I had. I looked a similar priced ones that are competitors to these but having had such good service from my dryer, I preferred to stick with the devil I knew. Although there are high street dyers with the same spec, I just wasn't impressed with the reviews they got. I used to straighten my hair just with a dryer, and I have long, very thick, frizzy hair, so my dryer was my savior for many years, but I have since discovered the delights of straightening irons, so the pressure was lifted from needing a dryer that performed miracles - this model seemed to sit in the middle of their range. Not too hot with more power than I needed but powerful enough to dry my mop quickly and create large curls if I wanted them. This dryer, although called "compact" is almost the same size and weight as my old one, slightly shorter handle, a little hotter and more blow power. The weights quoted are without the cord, which is a bit misleading. The only thing I can fault this on is the shiny, very smooth body. It would be all too easy for this slip through your hand, as unlike a hairdresser you have to keep putting it down and picking it up to work through sections of your hair. It would be much nicer to use if it had a rubberised outer and it would stop it moving on a smooth service. To combat this I stuck those little silicone drawer bumper/buffer stoppers around the handle area and even used the backing sheet you are left with when you remove the buffers. This has given it a firm secure feel when using. Apart from this I love the dryer, it feels familiar, heats up well, has enough variation in the settings for most uses, and the blowing power is plenty for me. It hasn't made my hair smoke, so it's not doing any damage. The brand has a good reputation and although it is far more expensive than the ones you can get just about anywhere, I feel the longevity of my previous dryer justifies this. As a footnote, I managed to glue the old one back together, so it now acts as a spare in the guest room and it's still going strong!

Philips Easycare GC3541 2400W Steam Iron with Drip Stop
Philips Easycare GC3541 2400W Steam Iron with Drip Stop

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special, few design errors but does the job nice to hold, 25 Dec. 2014
Loved this iron to begin with, heats up fast, glides well, feels good to handle, but as with all irons these days, they never seem to keep their "glide" for long. After 6 months use it feels like any other iron and doesn't glide as well as it used to. Could do with a bigger water tank and the steam settings are in a pale gold colour that is very difficult to see, a really silly design fault. But it still irons the clothes, so I guess it does what it's meant to.

Prestige 4 Slice Toaster, Black
Prestige 4 Slice Toaster, Black
Offered by SelectiveGoods

3.0 out of 5 stars It toasts well, fits most bread slices and bagels but poor design spoils it, 25 Dec. 2014
Why oh why to manufacturers of products like this, where there are going to be particles of food around, make them with lips, indents or hollows you can't clean out? From the image of this product you cannot see that there is deep groove running all the way around the area where the slots are, and of course this fills up nicely with toast crumbs. The only way to get them out is to tip the toaster upside down. The other annoying thing about this toaster design is the sliding timer leavers situated at the font, near the base. These are quire loose and easy to move, so each time you clean the work surface nearby, or anything touches them, they get knocked off the settings you had them on. They need to be stiffer or notched so they only move when you want them to. It toasts ok, fits most sized pre-sliced bread, even bagels if you flatten them a bit so it does do what it's meant to, but the exterior design needs changing and why they have made it far bigger than it needs to be beats me!

Wenko 18280100 Hair Dryer Holder Milano
Wenko 18280100 Hair Dryer Holder Milano

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-made, does what it's meant to but could with do with some refinements, 25 Dec. 2014
This is ideal for hair dryers, but bare in mind that depending on where you screw it (in my case on the left hand side of the knee hole under my dressing table) you may end up with the little hook as the back - in my case on the left it was at the front. I covered the wire with foam to prevent it damaging the exterior of the dryer each time I put it away and make it quieter when I did. Would have been great if foam stoppers were already provided as extra cushioning, as some other models have. I think if I was buying another one of these I would have one that swung out of the way flat against the wall just to save space in a confined area and be prepared to pay a little more for some refinements. Don't get me wrong, this is a solid, well-made product at a good price that does the job it's meant to.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11