Profile for JEN > Reviews

Leaving Alexandria: A Memoir of Faith and Doubt
Leaving Alexandria: A Memoir of Faith and Doubt
Price: 4.63

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the great books, 13 May 2014
A compelling account of one man's struggle with life and faith. Utterly honest and self-perceptive. The heights and depths recorded lead me back to read it again and again.

One Minute Meditation
One Minute Meditation
by Simon Parke
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The world through new eyes, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: One Minute Meditation (Paperback)
I was looking for something like this because I've just moved house and every day seems crowded with letters that must be written and boxes that must be unpacked even though I don't know where to put the things inside them. 'One minute meditations' brought a promise that even in the chaos of moving, I can still make time for God - that a minute can be enough to pause and reflect and let light into the dark muddle. I restricted myself to reading just the introduction and the first few meditations to get the 'flavour' but that was enough to convince me that this is going to be a valued companion on the journey. I have made a promise that I will take at least one minute every day to let God into the confusion and turmoil.
The book offers thought -provoking approaches to familiar settings which have already helped me to calm down and restored my belief that the troubles of each day can be overcome which gives me confidence to look forward to what lies ahead instead of dreading tomorrow.
Simon Parke lives in the everyday world we all share but has that vital ability to look beyond it to the vitality and mystery and beauty of the greater world which lies beyond the mundane if we take the time - one minute - to recognise it.

The Guardian and the Observer
The Guardian and the Observer
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 23 Jun 2013
Both papers offer unbiased information and wise critiques of public affairs and social justice, They are entertaining, informative,thought-provoking and expose much that is hidden from the general public for no good reason.

St. Benedict's Toolbox: The Nuts And Bolts Of Everyday Benedictine Living
St. Benedict's Toolbox: The Nuts And Bolts Of Everyday Benedictine Living
Price: 5.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Wise and relevant, 23 Jun 2013
Full of wisdom which is gently explained and I found the advice and information given of great benefit on my faith journey.

The Rough Guide to Andalucia (Rough Guide to...)
The Rough Guide to Andalucia (Rough Guide to...)
Price: 7.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 8 Jun 2013
Worked well on the ground in Andalucia. Well laid out and easy to follow. Not sure it ideal for Kindle

GoKi Wooden Castle Building Bricks
GoKi Wooden Castle Building Bricks
Price: 22.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanted world, 10 May 2013
The bricks are very well made and the design is excellent. It kept my granddaughters captivated and most of the adults watching them wanted to have a go too.

Farewell To Stromness: Farewell To Stromness
Farewell To Stromness: Farewell To Stromness
Price: 0.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Echoes of Orkney, 10 May 2013
Carried me back to Orkney echoing some of the sadness in the beauty of those islands. Rhythmically satisfying and timing impeccable.