Profile for Eckybun > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Chimera Vector: The Fifth Column 1
The Chimera Vector: The Fifth Column 1

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for Matthew Reilly fans., 10 Jan 2014
I'm a big fan of Matthew Reilly, so when a friend recommended that I try this book by Nathan M. Farrugia, I decided to give it a go. The book is an exellent introduction to what will, hopefully, be an ongoing series. Fifth Column operatives Sophia, Jay and Damien, who have been psychologically programmed to kill, somehow partially override their programming while on an mission. Sophia is abduted by the mysterious Akhana while Jay and Damien are returned to the Fifth Column for reprogramming. As the three experience flashbacks to their childhoods when they were taken to the Fifth Column Headquarters and underwent brutal psychological programming, they begin to question which side they are on. Both the Akhana and the Fifth Column want control of the Chimera Vector, and the three must decide who, if anyone, have it. The book is a fast-paced military thriller in the vein of Matthew Reilly, full of double and triple crosses and some cracking bits of science and military hardware, but also manages to be a story about finding out who you are and living with the knowledge of your past. The characters are well developed and believable, and you get the sense that Farrugia has carefully plotted an elaborate life story for each one, more of which will be revealed in future Fifth Column novels. I would highly recommend this book and can't wait to read the next one. This is a must for anyone who enjoys action packed edge-of-your-seat thrillers.

E45 250ml Nourish and Restore Lightly Fragranced Body Lotion
E45 250ml Nourish and Restore Lightly Fragranced Body Lotion
Offered by Direct Pharmacy

5.0 out of 5 stars Nourishes and Restores - does exactly what it says on the bottle, 17 April 2013
I am very lucky to be a Bzz Agent as I was sent this product to try and was pleasantly surprised at how good it is.

I have never been a big fan of moisturisers. Most of them don't seem to absorb properly and don't seem to make my skin look or feel any better than before. E45 Nourish and Restore has changed my opinion of moisturisers. From the first application, my skin has felt much softer. I use it on my legs and feet as these are the areas where I experience dry, itchy skin most frequently. I am a keen gym-goer and my feet are always dry and my heels covered in patches of thick, dry, flaky skin which, although I use foot scrubs and creams, never seems to go away. This product, in combination with my usual foot scrub, is proving far more effective at softening my feet than specialised footcare products. I think this is mainly due to the fact that it actually absorbs into my feet quickly, whereas other products tend to end up not absorbing and so I end up with lovely soft socks but still have hard skin on my feet. I've also been very impressed with the effect on my legs. I have very sensitive skin on my legs which is often itchy, dry and flaky. I have been using E45 Nourish and Restore daily and found that my skin is no longer itchy as it is properly hydrated by the lotion. I would recommend this product to anyone who has had problems finding a suitable body lotion due to having very dry and/or sensitive skin. I would also recommend it to anyone who spends a lot of time on their feet. I have given a friend who is running the London Marathon a sample for her to use afterwards. When I run out of the lotion, I will definitely be buying more and I hope the product continues to be available for a long time as it is excellent quality. I would also say that it is good value for money as I have found a small amount moisturises very well, so a bottle will last several weeks.

The Dating Game Killer: The True Story of a TV Dating Show, a Violent Sociopath, and a Series of Brutal Murders (St. Martin's True Crime Library)
by Stella Sands
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating but little known story, 27 Jan 2013
Rodney Alcala is known as "The Dating Game Killer" simply because he appeared on a dating show in the US during the period in which he committed the crimes for which he has been convicted. He actually was chosen by the bachelorette as her date (although she didn't go on the date with him as she thought he was a bit weird), but didn't harm anyone involved in the show. That said, he did immeasurable harm to a number of other women and their families, and it is this story that is told in the book. Stella Sands does an excellent job of telling us not only about Alcala, but about the young women and children he attacked, raped and killed. This is one of the things that makes this book stand out for me. Many books on murderers focus solely on the killers life and give us little insight into the victims. Sands has clearly researched each victim in detail and they come to life on the pages, making you realise what a tragic loss each life was and also what an impact their deaths had on their families and friends. Alcala has been on and off death row in California since 1980, but as the book points out, a proper sentence for an earlier crime may have saved the lives of the women and children he murdered. A fascinating read, but a terrible shame that he was allowed to commit the crimes which have made him infamous.

World's Worst Crimes: An A-Z of Evil Deeds
World's Worst Crimes: An A-Z of Evil Deeds
by Charlotte Greig

4.0 out of 5 stars Many familiar, a few different, 27 Jan 2013
As an avid reader of true crime books, I find many books like this tend to summarise the same crimes over and over. Although this book does contain a lot of the crimes detailed in other books, there are a number that I had not read about before and which I am sure will be of interest to others who have read a lot of true crime book. This is also an excellent book for newer enthusiasts as it details many of the most infamous crimes and is a good book to use to find stories which you may want to read about in greater depth. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who wants a great amount of detail about the crimes as there are only a few pages on each one.

Guns N Roses - Roses And Pistols Beach Towel And Bag In Black
Guns N Roses - Roses And Pistols Beach Towel And Bag In Black

1.0 out of 5 stars In holes after one wash!!!, 14 May 2012
I bought this towel with one of my favourite bands on and, after using it, naturally decided to put it in the wash. After only one wash, the black dye ran all through the towel making it look like it had big, dirty marks all over it and the towel went into holes. I do not recommend this product at all and would never buy another product from this manufacturer.

Transformers Vault: The Complete Transformers Universe - Featuring Rare Collectibles
by Hasbro

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a child of the 80s, 31 July 2011
As soon as I saw this item I couldn't wait to get my hands on one. Having previously been given two "Vault" books as gifts I expected this to be something special, and I wasn't disappointed. For anyone who can remember the Transformers cartoons from the 1980s,indeed for any Transformers fan past or present, this book is a must, as it traces the history of Transformers from their original creation in Japan, the enormous success they enjoyed when produced by Hasbro Toys, the numerous cartoon series they have spawned and the current live action movies which have made them big business once again. As with any "vault" this is filled with drawings and promotional materials that you can take out and examine, although some are a little tricky to get back into the slots provided for the in the book. The book is lovely quality and would make a great gift as the whole book comes in a sturdy slipcase which protects it and prevents you from losing all the little bits of memorabilia.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, quick delivery, 14 Dec 2010
This is a brilliant shirt for any KISS fan. The quality is excellent and the print on the shirt is very detailed and high quality. May I also strongly recommend Tiger Milly from whom I purchased this item. I received it the day after it was sent and it was well packed to protect it.

Dead Men Walking: Life on Death Row
Dead Men Walking: Life on Death Row
by Bill Wallace

3.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate precis on the back of this book...., 11 July 2010
This is not a bad book. It just doesn't deliver what it promises. There is nothing in this book about what it is like for people living on death row. There are no interviews with condemned men and women and no descriptions of what death row is like. I had expected a series of interviews with inmates and exonorees describing what day to day life is like on death row. What we have instead is an interesting collection of stories about famous killers, anarchists and traitors which is divided up into four sections. There is a section about people who are serving life without the possibility of parole, the second section covers notable executions, the third tells of notable killers who are currently on death row and the final section looks at women on death row. There are some inaccuracies within the book - John Wayne Gacy and Aileen Wuornos were not executed in the electric chair for example. I will, however, say that I enjoyed reading the book as it contained some interesting accounts of famous cases such as Sacco and Vanzetti, Julius and Ethel Rosenberg and William Kemmler. I would recommend this book to people who do not have an in depth knowledge of famous capital cases and who wish to read about some of them.

The Lost Executioner: The Story of Comrade Duch and the Khmer Rouge
The Lost Executioner: The Story of Comrade Duch and the Khmer Rouge
by Nic Dunlop

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellect and insightful book., 10 April 2010
Having read a book all about Cambodia under Pol Pot, I was interested in learning more about Comrade Duch, the man who ran the notorious Tuol Sleng prison where countless Cambodian's were tortured and executed. Nic Dunlop sets out to find Duch with just a photograph of him. Duch disappeared after Pol Pot was overthrown and has never been made to answer for his terrible crimes. I won't tell you whether or not Dunlop is successful in his quest. This is a fascinating book looking at the life of one of the most infamous men in Cambodian history.

The Tudor Wife
The Tudor Wife
by Emily Purdy

1.0 out of 5 stars One star is generous, 10 April 2010
This review is from: The Tudor Wife (Paperback)
There is nothing in this book that would appeal to anyone with a serious interest in Tudor history. It is without a doubt one of the worst books I have read in a long time. Historically inaccurate, this book made me laugh out loud, although I am sure it was not intended to have that effect upon the reader. Jane Parker comes across as a brainless twit with no dignity and serious mental health problems. The sex scenes are hilarious. Best avoided.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2010 8:45 PM GMT