Profile for Brookes Robert > Reviews

Content by Brookes Robert

Brookes Robert "Wolverley boy" (Switzerland)

Fragrant Freesias
Fragrant Freesias
Offered by Bunches

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather disappointed, 15 May 2011
This review is from: Fragrant Freesias
We have used "Bunches" before with success...but we ordered some fragrant freesias from Switzerland that were half dead when they arrived for my mother in the UK. She complained....and "Bunches" sent some more. They arrived also half dead. So, my mother complaned again and then received fresh ones! I did not expect this from a company that usually can deliver the goods in fine condition. Yes, I'm rather disappointed. I know you can do better!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2013 2:38 AM BST

Bach, J.S.: Violin Concertos
Bach, J.S.: Violin Concertos
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Bach and Fischer - YES!, 14 May 2011
Yes, this young lady can play the violin so well and these Bach concertos will not disappoint you. Very talented performance. A few years ago (20 probably!) we bought the (much maligned) Gidon Kremer version of this. We have never been upset with his version (it's just different) and now not with this version by Julia Fischer. You just have to listen! Fischer's rendition is perhaps much more "gentle". We are very happy to have bought it. She has a great career ahead....as do Lisa Batiashvili and Patricia Kopatchinskaja. As for Joshua Bell....we've long been fans. As for Anne-Sophie Mutter...err...how many CDs have we bought? Lots!
Just buy this young lady's CD....you will not fail to enjoy it. And if you don't enjoy it, you need to go to an ear specialist! Failing that, give it to a friend with ears.

Falcon Enamel 30cm Oval Roaster Green
Falcon Enamel 30cm Oval Roaster Green

5.0 out of 5 stars It never fails, 25 Oct. 2010
This roaster makes meat as tender as you would wish it to be. Chicken almost falls apart in it. My family has never had any complaints about the food this product can come up with...on the contrary. We are extremely satisfied with it...as we are with its smaller cousin, the round roaster Green Speck (20 cm). Bon appétit!

Collins Thesaurus of the English Language: Complete & Unabridged
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language: Complete & Unabridged
by Collins Dictionaries

5.0 out of 5 stars Treasure, 25 Oct. 2010
Weighty book? It is indeed. But the book more than makes up for it with the weight of its contents. Having each word in blue and alternatives in black is a real boon. I can live with American English because the people of the United States have to live with British English and vice versa. Tolerance! If you know how to spell in English or American English, what's the problem? I think the book is a bargain...and as for all those worried about the weight of this book, look at Delia's Complete Cookery Book (the illustrated version), it's heavier. This thesaurus also has an extremely useful grouping of words, for example "Savoury Dishes" or "Coats and Cloaks" or "Cocktails". I am very happy with it. It is a fine reference work. I can imagine many people will be happy with it. Are you having problems looking for alternatives to "nice" and "lots"? The book will give you some clues.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2012 3:32 PM BST

Rumpole of the Bailey The Complete Collection [DVD] [1978]
Rumpole of the Bailey The Complete Collection [DVD] [1978]
Dvd ~ Leo McKern
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars Where on Earth is Pommeroy's?, 20 Oct. 2010
This is a wonderful collection of a series that has some brilliant English humour. Leo McKern is a fitting Horace Rumpole and, although it might appear a little dated in 2010, it makes me laugh. I would recommend this to anyone who likes John Mortimer's character. As Rumpole would say: "I defend, I do not prosecute." This complete series does not need defending...it needs watching.
The only negative comment: it's square in format and not the more normal 16:9 nowadays. I can live with that as I am sure most Rumpole fans will too.
I've also bought a Quiller-Couch version of The Oxford Book of English Verse...and that has not let me down either, although it is not so easy to find in good condition these days.
If you like Rumpole, this is a bargain DVD set. Where is Pommeroy's? Does anyone know?
I rest my case.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2011 2:33 PM GMT

Walk! Mallorca North and Mountains
Walk! Mallorca North and Mountains
by Charles Davis

4.0 out of 5 stars Do what the title says, 18 Sept. 2010
If ever proof were needed that Mallorca is more than a holiday island with beaches, this book will show you it's also a place for good walks.
The layout is clear and the symbols offer a rough guidance as to what you can expect along the way.
But unless you are speeding like a mountain goat and not looking at the scenery, the times of the walks will appear way out...multiply by one and a half or two. The author's warning was welcome.
We, a group of seven plodders, were unsure of the way on a couple of the walks described and other walkers we met carrying the same book also seemed confused.
This guide has its limits with mapping too; the scale seems too small. We even had a problem to find the starting point on one occasion.
This book will no doubt see further use and enjoyment...and it fills a need in giving background and tempting the reader to do exactly what the title commands - Walk!

The King of Oil: The Secret Lives of Marc Rich
The King of Oil: The Secret Lives of Marc Rich
by Daniel Ammann

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping story, 5 Jan. 2010
This was one of my favourite books of 2009. At last someone could meet Marc Rich and get more than monosyllables out of him. This book is very well researched and I congratulate the author for his tenacity in explaining to other people what oil trading is all about. Not only that, we learn that Marc Rich's ex-wife was perhaps not, as previously widely reported, the sole individual who helped gain a last-minute pardon from Bill Clinton. Some Israeli friends seemed to have helped a lot too.

I'm still not sure whether Marc Rich is a saint or a sinner. But, after reading this book, you have to admit, he's a very clever man and extremely astute when it comes to business.

As for Bill Clinton, I can imagine that last-minute pardon still seems a mystery to most people.

Marc Rich says he will never return to the United States for a visit, just in case he's arrested, for example, for a minor parking offence. Does that mean he doesn't really believe too much in that presidential pardon?

You have written a very entertaining book, Daniel Ammann.

The Selfish Giant (Picture Puffin)
The Selfish Giant (Picture Puffin)
by Michael Foreman

5.0 out of 5 stars A little book with a big heart, 20 Oct. 2009
This little book has it all and it shouldn't really be described as a "children's story". I think it has a message for both young and old. And it's full of emotions. I agree with another reviewer that you might need a handkerchief or two after you've read this. I would recommend this for any family. It's a little gem.

Collins English Dictionary: 30th Anniversary Edition
Collins English Dictionary: 30th Anniversary Edition
by Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate, 11 Oct. 2009
Who hasn't looked at Oxford or Chambers when looking for a new English dictionary? I am really pleased with the new Collins. I had absolutely no hesitation in ordering this 30th edition and I have not been disappointed. It weighs a ton...but there is a ton of information in there and more. I'm a journalist and love it, with no disrespect to Oxford or Chambers. What do I do with my previous Collins' dictionaries? Knowing me, I'll keep them, although my government tells me I should shed my shelves of a few reference books. She knows me enough to know that it may take a while. I hope I don't sound like a salesman for Collins. But I would recommend you look at this version in your local bookshop before buying it from you know where at a decent price. You will love it!