Profile for KT > Reviews

Hot Wheels 40.6 x 6.4 x 30.5 cm Double Jump Duel
Hot Wheels 40.6 x 6.4 x 30.5 cm Double Jump Duel
Offered by Real Merch

4.0 out of 5 stars great, 10 Mar. 2014
We got this yesterday. Mostly it works well, the cars jump and (usually) land on the blue bit, and the first one triggers the trapdoor so the second goes down the trap.
A star knocked off because:
1. when we assembled it the instructions weren't completely clear - we put the red tracks on the spinny thing the wrong way round, so they wouldn't slot into place at the bottom. When you assemble, look for the 'A' and 'B' on the pieces of track and the bit that spins down and match them up.
2. One of the tracks doesn't always shoot it's car on to the ramp, it misses. Somehow grandad and the boys got it working - I think we tried various different cars too as some work better than others.
3. The car-launch button feels like it might not last forever to me, and it's a bit hard to pull the cars back for a small 6 yo.
4. Only one car with the toy.
But otherwise we love it, it is really fun. Definitely worth £15.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2014 8:44 PM GMT

Bell Push Georgian Oblong Brass 7.5cm x 3.5cm (Pack of 1) (U-G1281)
Bell Push Georgian Oblong Brass 7.5cm x 3.5cm (Pack of 1) (U-G1281)

3.0 out of 5 stars needs a big push, 3 Dec. 2012
We've had this bell push for a year. It is a lovely looking bell and was easy enough to connect and fit. Unfortunately the button seems to need a really BIG push to make the bell ring and I would say it works less than 50% of the time. It's been like this since we fitted it.

Mooncup Model A Menstrual Cup
Mooncup Model A Menstrual Cup

5.0 out of 5 stars In love with it, 17 Mar. 2011
Yes, I will never use tampons again. I have hugely heavy periods, and can fill this cup right up several times on the first day! I find mine leaks for the first 24 hrs, partly cos it fills right up, but I use pads for that (and now am going to buy some washable pads for that purpose). But it still copes FAR better than tampons, which used to leak just awfully. I've had mine 3 years. I think it leaks a little more nowadays so am thinking of replacing it as I think they leak more with age.

I am a bit squeamish and had to go through a squeam-barrier at first, but now I don't even think twice. I cut the stem quite short as it really is uncomfortable if too long. I found it helps to have a teeny bit of fingernail to grip the stem when getting it out (not much, just not cut/bitten right back - mine are very short). In public loos you can just replace the mooncup without rinsing (rinse when you're back home), and even use baby wipes to clean fingers if you're self-conscious at the sinks. I don't think it makes much noise coming out at all.

Otherwise agree with everyone else. Wish I'd discovered it 20 years before I did.

The Future of the Soul: 2012 and the Global Shift in Consciousness (Books of the Soul)
by Ian Lawton

5.0 out of 5 stars far out!, 21 Sept. 2010
I found this book fascinating and exciting, overall. The global shift that is due to happen sounds scary if you think of details (eg being killed or losing someone in an environmental catastrophe), but I think the idea is, on a soul level we have all signed up for it so we can handle it. It's apparently like a huge shake-up of the planet and everything on it, and when the dust settles the world will hopefully be working more harmoniously.

There are examples of similar shake-ups in history (going back tens of thousands of years). And there are sketches of how the world could be in the future in terms of economy, sources of energy, the way we will live together, and how humans will be different.

Apparently, in preparation, there have been subtle vibrational changes occurring at a molecular level for the last few decades, and as people are born they are automatically tuned in to the updated vibrations. We can work on 'accepting' new vibrations within and around us as they occur, and alter our outlook on life to prepare ourselves for the changes ahead. There are ideas in the book to suggest how you can start this off now.

I know some people who will question the source of the information in the book, but I found I believed what I was reading. As '2012' predictions go, it is fundamentally optimistic.

Row, Row, Row Your Boat (20 Fun Kids songs to sing and dance to) [DVD]
Row, Row, Row Your Boat (20 Fun Kids songs to sing and dance to) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 19 Sept. 2010
My sons, aged 2 and 4, love these DVD's (this one and Wheels on the Bus). The main presenter has lots of energy and is amusingly inventive with his characters, and has a lovely singing voice. The kids are super, and great singers, and they put loads into it. The way the locations change according to the songs is good and keeps it interesting, and some of the songs have the kids singing against simple animated picture backgrounds which my youngest boy really likes.

My eldest son is slightly autistic and not inclined to 'join in' with things, but I have seen him doing the actions to some of the songs when they're on. The songs are all lovely - I didn't know half of them before getting the dvds but they're easy to pick up, and my boys wander round singing bits of them, which is so nice to hear.

There are no ads or idents at the start of the dvd too, it just goes straight in to the menu which is very good.

GRUNDIG GUD1500 FREEVIEW SET TOP BOX
GRUNDIG GUD1500 FREEVIEW SET TOP BOX

4.0 out of 5 stars basically good, 19 Sept. 2010
We wanted a simple box that would pick up all the channels after being let down several times by a similar product by TVonics. We have a weakish signal here, and indeed the Grundig box picks up most of the channels, except Film4, which just freezes (although it works on our other STB in a different room). Overall I'm happy with this box, the info text is clear enough, and I don't use many other functions on it.

One annoying quirk is that we have the screen ratio set to 4:3 (as we have a non-widescreen TV) in the box's set-up menu, but when we watch ITV or Channel 4 the ratio pops into widescreen, so everyone is vertically elongated! I've tried all the obvious things to correct it with no success. All the other channels behave and stay in 4:3. We don't watch enough tv for it to be a big issue, but I'd appreciate any advice if anyone has fixed a similar problem!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2010 7:53 PM GMT

Thomas The Tank Engine And Friends: Happy Little Helpers [DVD]
Thomas The Tank Engine And Friends: Happy Little Helpers [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Angelis
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars spot on, 18 Sept. 2010
I only have a few Thomas videos, but this is my favourite because the stories are simple and the narration isn't too wordy. Our other videos have more unneccesarily complicated stories and Michael Angelis has to gabble to get all the words in. My sons are 4 and 2, the eldest having a big speech and language delay, and they enjoy copying the short sentences and exclamations from these stories, which is great (the other videos don't have such easy 'soundbites').
The stories themselves on here are very good too, simple conflicts and resolutions with sweet endings.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2012 11:47 AM BST

My Carry Potty
My Carry Potty
Offered by Direct 4 Baby

4.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, if seemingly small, 15 Sept. 2010
This review is from: My Carry Potty (Baby Product)
Big thumbs up. My son is four and only just potty trained, and scared of public toilets. This potty has got us out of several sticky situations. The potty is definitely technically too small for him, and even my 2.5 year old looks a little bit large on it, but both of them manage to get their wees into it (4 year old crouches over it and has a good aim), although no poos done in it so far. I should say our other potty is a chair-potty so I'm used to looking at bigger-style potties - I'm always surprised at how small 'regular' potties are. I only knocked a star off for the size.

It's really easy to empty and clean/wipe down, and totally leakproof, and I love the eco-friendliness. We've had it for 4 months and it has been indispensible. It goes on all trips out. We even used it in a quiet aisle in B&Q.

Rough potty-bowl dimensions; Inner bowl (the 'hole'): 14cm diameter x 10cm deep. Outer bowl (the bit they sit on) 20cm diameter, with about 1cm more to the outer edge of the potty.

Prince Lionheart bbPOD - Blue
Prince Lionheart bbPOD - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars great, 28 Jan. 2010
We found this incredibly useful for our first child to help him sit up unaided from 4 months. Much, much better than propping him on cushions, which he would tend to slip down. It left our hands free to do cooking etc while he sat in it and watched us, or a dvd, or played with toys on the floor around him (although the seat inhibited his range of reach slightly). We never had trouble with him toppling out (though he was overall very happy to sit and play). When he got to 11-12 months he could pull himself sideways out of it (leaning out into a crawl), but would still sit in it to watch dvds.

Our second son didn't take to it at all; didn't like being restricted I think. He would try to lean/get out but the seat has a wide, heavyish base and the sides partly enclose the child (comes up quite high at the back) so he couldn't escape.

Majorette Toy Garage Road Garage with 1/64 scale toy car
Majorette Toy Garage Road Garage with 1/64 scale toy car

3.0 out of 5 stars dodgy fittings, 29 Dec. 2009
The garage was very difficult to put together. I had to work very hard to get some bits to join (esp ramps); had to shave excess plastic off some parts where they'd come out of the mould with extra bits on and so wouldn't fit into the receiving parts; other parts have gaps at the joins like they will come off easily or pop apart (eg the winch). Fitting the 3 floors together with the pillars, they suggest you tap down with a hammer/mallet, but it's so tight-fitting I had to hammer down so hard I was afraid it was about to break at the joins, which already showed signs of plastic strain.

The car lift runs up a long frame which comes in 3 parts, but because they didn't fit snugly the lift gets a bit stuck at each join, and since the winch is rickety I worry it will break, but it hasn't yet. The lift platform is slidey hard plastic so cars fall off VERY easily (I stuck some non-slip mat on, which helped). The carwash 'brush bits' are 2 ridged soft rubber cylinders that a car can squeeze through, but you feel like the carwash might pop off if you try a big car. The petrol pump is in a slightly cramped place. The road doesn't attach to the garage so tends to drift a bit. The road tapers down at each end and the garage has edges which also taper to the ground so the cars drive into a gully when driving on/off the road.

More positively, it looks good once you've stuck all the stickers on, and the colours are cheerful but not shouty. It's a nice size for kids (mine's 3). It takes Matchbox-sized toy cars and a bit bigger. The cars whizz down the ramps well (though my son would prefer a continuous helter skelter). The road is wide (ours is wider than the picture) and a fair length. The backdrop looks good (it joins to the back of the garage) but it also gets in the way of getting access to the middle floors - we took ours off. The main floors and ramps feel sturdy; just the extras are wobbly. If it stays in one piece it will do it's job as a toy garage fine - depends on the imagination of the kid. Is only 4 days old so far.

9 month update: The red ramps were easily dislodged by my 2year old leaning on them, and every time I reattached, the plastic joins got more wobbly-looking. I eventually added a vertical reinforcing wooden bar to the outer edge of the ramps (attached it to each ramp by little screws). The bar rests on the floor and supports the ramps brilliantly. My sons have been using it loads and it's stayed in one piece, but I wouldn't buy one again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3