Profile for Arthur McKay > Reviews

Content by Arthur McKay

Arthur McKay

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 22 April 2013
Incredible value for money and using rechargeable AA batteries just as easy to use as the much more expensive wire free models.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2015 7:11 PM GMT

Suunto M-3/G/L Professional Luminous Compass Global
Suunto M-3/G/L Professional Luminous Compass Global
Offered by Facewest

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Silva, 22 April 2013
My Silva Expedition gave up after many years of service and I had read about the M3 being superior. After having bought one from shavenraspberry I am not disappointed, it is an excellent compass. The luminosity of the bezel in the dark is the best I have seen and this winter the serated bezel has been a must with easy use when wearing gloves. A very sturdy and well made compass.

Navigation in the Mountains: The Definitive Guide for Hill Walkers, Mountaineers & Leaders - the Official Navigation Book for All Mountain Leader Training Schemes
by Carlo Forte

1.0 out of 5 stars MLT should do better, 22 April 2013
As a keen mountaineer I always receive related items for my birthday and this book was one of them. It is so disappointing. Nothing new with copy, diagrams and photographs taken from other MLT publications, consigned to a charity shop.

Ultimate Navigation Manual
Ultimate Navigation Manual
by Lyle Brotherton

5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional book, set to become the reference book for land navigation, 26 Feb. 2013
Nine months ago I asked a friend of mine, who is in the Cairngorm Mountain Rescue Team, to recommend a good book about navigation to get my skills back up to scratch as I was working towards become a Duke of Edinburgh Leader and this book was his recommendation.

He had bought a copy of it after the author had visited his team, to deliver some training and was singing its praises.It is a large tome with 360 pages dedicated to land navigation.

It is very well laid out, with clear chapters, following a logical order to understanding land navigation. The copy is to the point, written in plain English and describes the techniques in everyman's language.

Better still, the quality of the photography, not only in terms of artistic quality, which in itself is very high, but more importantly, in conveying sometimes quite complicated procedures in a visually interesting and engaging manor that makes each technique easy to follow.

The diagrams are reminiscent of Petzl's product diagrams and are truly excellent, again leaving no ambiguity whatsoever as exactly what to do.

I found myself eager to learn more as I progressed through the techniques and even started to absorb the specialist techniques needed for environments such as deserts and jungles, albeit the likelihood of me visiting these regions is remote.

I cannot extol the virtues of this book enough, as one reviewer stated, anyone who trains Sir Ranulph Fiennnes and Mountain Rescue Teams is more than qualified to deliver such a book. However, what makes him unique is the excellent execution of the work, no doubt working with such an equally credible publisher, Harper Collins, making this book unparalleled by any other on this subject.

I now recommend it to all of my DofE students and the feedback I receive from them is the same as my friends was to me nine months ago.

If your serious about learning to navigate properly go out and buy a copy, you won't be disappointed!