Profile for katcarter4@hotmail.com > Reviews

The Island in the Mind
The Island in the Mind
by Rodney Hall

4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet but very well written, 29 Jun 2001
This review is from: The Island in the Mind (Paperback)
I must agree with the previous reviewer that the book is slow and possibly hard to "get into". However, I am finding it (having not yet finished) a lovely read. I initially bought it because it was compared in a Guardian review to Robertson Davies, who is my favourite author, although I have to say I can't see why, not yet at least.
However, as someone who is fascinated in early modern European history, I am enjoying it immensely. Perhaps not a reason to rush out and buy it for most people! But it is very well written, quiet and thoughtful rather than gripping and shocking - but for me that's a good thing. It's obviously meticulously researched, and I find the characters intriguing and believable.

The Year Of The Griffin
The Year Of The Griffin
by Diana Wynne Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Diana Wynne Jones, 24 Oct 2000
I was delighted when I heard a sequel of Dark Lord of Derkholm would be coming out, and was not let down. At first I was slightly disappointed because I thought Blade, a fantastic character, would not be appearing but then he did! Comparisons to Harry Potter/ JK Rowling are often made, but I think Jones was the original and best, funnier, cleverer and fantastic for children and adults alike. If you liked Terry Pratchett before he started churning out books like it was going out of fashion, give Jones a try, you'll never look back! The title makes it sound like one of those fantasy books I would avoid like the plague, and perhaps might put off some readers, but this isn't like that at all. As usual, the characters are fantastic, the plot keeps you hooked (I finished about 3am last night) and at the end, you put it down and pray that it's a trilogy....

The Dark Lord Of Derkholm (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
The Dark Lord Of Derkholm (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Diana Wynne Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars A Greatly Underrated Author, 11 Mar 2000
Diana Wynne Jones really deserves to be better known, considering the success of authors like Terry Pratchett. Not that they are that similar - this book (and her others) take themselves a bit less seriously than Terry Pratchett tends to. If you loved her books when you were younger, as I did, then keep reading! This one is particularly good, a wonderful inventive plot fulll of fantastic creatures and very funny details. Really worth a read.