Profile for Brian > Reviews

100ml Sweet Almond Oil - 100% Pure Cold Pressed
Offered by Naissance
Price: 1.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Beard Oil, 15 Feb 2014
No need for expensive concoctions, this does the job. If you must, add some essential oils to stink up the place but some are charging close to 40 for 50mls of what is essentially sweet almond oil with some other smelly oils mixed in.

Save your money and treat your beard, buy this instead.

Jamie Oliver Granite Pestle and Mortar
Jamie Oliver Granite Pestle and Mortar
Price: 21.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Gray Dust, 10 Jan 2014
I wanted to like this, I've coveted a granite mortar and pestle for awhile as I use lots of whole spices and the wooden and ceramic mortars were less than ideal but I'm afraid I've made a big mistake in buying this.

Every time I use it a gray powder is produced that smells strange and colours whatever's in the mortar. I've tried, multiple times, grinding dry rice grains and sea salt to see if it was just because it was new and needed a "running in" period but it's still happening. I've just experimented by putting a little cold water into the mortar and grinding away as I normally would and withing 30 seconds the water is gray and opaque. I'm not convinced that this is actually made of granite and because of the weight it would be prohibitively expensive for me to return.

Really disappointed and it would be good to get some feed-back from the manufacturer/seller.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2014 1:50 PM GMT

Nikwax SoftShell Proof Spray-On Waterproofer - 300ml
Nikwax SoftShell Proof Spray-On Waterproofer - 300ml
Price: 6.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Teeming Down, 1 Jan 2014
I used this two days ago to re-proof my jacket. Just back from a walk, the rain is pelting down and it's just beading up and running off. I've got enough left to re-proof at least twice. Great stuff, highly recommend.

p.s. Use a glove of some kind when you're working it into the fabric or you'll end up, like me, with a water-repellent hand!

Dead Streets
Dead Streets
Price: 4.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Resist, 8 Oct 2011
This review is from: Dead Streets (Kindle Edition)
After reading Nekropolis (and getting it as a free Kindle download!) I vowed I'd pay for anything else this author released in a similar vein; I felt I owed him for such an engaging story, setting and characters. I've read the sample and it has the same feel and tongue-in-cheek sense of humour. Really looking forward to finding out what Matt gets up to next!

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 19 Feb 2011
I was sent one of these chairs as a gift. It's not leather - the grain is uniform and stinks of plastic; the build quality is adequate to poor - loose stitching, a loose armrest with stripped Allen bolts that made it almost impossible to tighten; no instructions (yeah, I know it's a chair but still!), no return address, no invoice, no nothing apart from a 4x3x3 foot cardboard box and a lone delivery guy who needed me to help carry it up three flights of stairs. It's reasonably comfortable but not anything like described. Look elsewhere.