Profile for Dust_For_Dinner > Reviews

Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner
Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner
by Aneeta Patel
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A blissfully straightforward introduction to knitting..., 10 Oct 2011
My grandmother taught me basic knitting stitches when I was young, but not having picked-up knitting needles for years, I had completely forgotten how to do it and sadly my grandmother's no longer around to remind me. With the resurgence of knitting and all the beautiful yarns around, I was longing to have another go and feel really fortunate to have come across this book.

Whilst I take many other reviewers' points about the prevalance of baby and kids knitting projects in the book (which aren't wholly relevant to me either), the cushion pattern comes out really well and is easy to do as are many of the others. What I particularly liked about this book, however, is that the author explains things in really simple terms (the 'soup bowl' method of increasing being utterly inspired!) and whilst you might not get it first time, with a little perseverence and practice, all becomes clear. The book is also excellent for giving you the tools and confidence to make minor adaptations to patterns and create simple ones of your own.

Quite by chance, I was fortunate enough to meet the author at the Knitting & Stitching show 2011 and can vouch for her enthusiasm and commitment to teaching knitting. Even before this I had recommended this book to many people who have seen the fun I have had and beautiful things I have made, all of whom have found it equally clear and motivating and have gone on to learn more.