Profile for Sally Burdyke > Reviews

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Price: 0.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 15 July 2014
Is 'Alice In Wonderland' actually a response to Darwinism? Comments would be appreciated...

Myths to Live By (The Collected Works of Joseph Campbell)
Myths to Live By (The Collected Works of Joseph Campbell)
Price: 3.64

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had read this years ago!!, 30 Jun 2014
I really wish I had read this years ago. Clearly many of the essays have been seminal ones - and a great deal of thought and criticism has in fact had these essays in mind - but never clearly acknowledged them!!

I am really annoyed that no-one recommended I read this before now!!!

The first of these essays was written a long time ago now - but charts a path for the struggle between Islam and the West - almost as though it perceives the threat and is outlining instructions to try and deal with it!!

The language of the book is really lucid and accessible and I would really recommend that you all invest in a copy.

It will probably make sense of all the Hollywood family films you've ever watched since the 1960s......

Choose Yourself!
Choose Yourself!
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Gloriously quirky, unabashedly honest and right on the mark!!, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Choose Yourself! (Kindle Edition)
Quite eccentric and orginal...Made me laugh out loud... but nevertheless it is a serious book. Well worth reading!! Disparaging of an 'ordinary job' at times....but since I am unemployed anyway it inspired me with loads of enthusiasm...I am Free to Become!!!

The Quick
The Quick
Price: 5.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Analyses the Imagination itself in Context, 22 May 2014
This review is from: The Quick (Kindle Edition)
Beyond the scope of most novels. Analyses the Imagination itself in context. Look at either side - still concentrate on quest? Both moral and sociological aspects to the temptations. A struggle also between male and female factions contrasted with the amity between brother and sister. It offers a lovely, luxurious escape from a world of mundane fear and practicalities.

I don't know whether I am being insensitive or outspoken by raising the subject (and do hesitate to do so directly) - but I happened to be looking at an HIV site the other day where several people who had HIV were brave enough to speak about their experiences. I was really shocked to find a story about a man who had been with a partner for over two years - a partner whose previous partner had died but who himself went about saying 'Thank Goodness I was clear!' etc and said he did not have the problem - then the man who'd written in found evidence - after two years in this relationship - that in fact the lover had been lying - and he'd known he'd had HIV all along - and when he was tested himself after finding this out the poor man in question found out that he had been infected as well.

The very thought that ANYONE could do that takes us into a horror world not far from that of the Aegolius Club with their policy of turning people into vampires without those people's consent....

Art as Therapy
Art as Therapy
by Alain de Botton
Price: 16.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Art is also for dodging around and masquerading?, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: Art as Therapy (Hardcover)
I haven't finished reading this book yet. However, though I do find it useful and enlightening I also have my reservations. I am worried that all art - and poetry - will come to be judged and funded according to its utilitarian value. I attended a series of lectures on Shakespeare's sonnets yesterday - with the view to judging their value and retaining funding for study. It was pointed out that Sonnet 1 could set the scene for the whole of the Sonnets - that the whole thing is 'useful' in so far as it provides a playing ground of women for gay men so that they can last through time through procreation. However, the masquerading, dodging and the posing - the fact that Sonnet 1 has not been included thus far in many anthologies (perhaps it has been purposely kept a secret? - only known to those 'in the know'?) perhaps has its own value. If each sonnet is approached individually, however, some will read them as one way as their favourites and take what they want from it - be able to find some comfort and consolation perhaps. Someone at the lectures told me that last year when the snow came quite late in the spring some of the sheep were actually killed because they congregated for shelter near the walls - which actually, in some parts of the country, became more inundated with congregated snow than the fields. I do not want this to happen again.

The News: A User's Manual
The News: A User's Manual
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars I am going to be a horrible party pooper yet again., 22 Feb 2014
As predicted, I will not have read this book yet. I have, however, just purchased and started Alain De Botton's book on Art as Therapy and find that yet again the actual book is much better than his own publicity would have led me to expect.

This has happened consistently - he always really strives to publicize his books and often makes (to my mind) a bit of a mess of it. I avoid the Sex book for absolutely ages on principle - but when I read it I found it was actually full of great insight and was even quite good.

He has done it again for me with this latest offering. I generally admire him so much I followed a Tweet and was really looking forward to this book - which he told us several times was about to come out.

Then I saw him on This Morning saying that the flooding would be gotten over and we just had to get on with it all and be more philosophical and criticizing the general news interest and furore over the floods. Well, I have to say I can't think of much news more important and that really really put me off buying his latest offering after all.

Maybe one day I'll cave in and actually read it....? Cave in with the 'SINK HOLES' maybe? Or will it be a seige situation in my home, reliant on internet goods and foreign food that cannot reach me because of the weather and breakdown in trasport links? Perhaps I will continue to Twitter away, and Facebook away - and order goods that I know will never turn up or never meet Trading Standards if they do. Then, if it is still working the Television and the twittering and facebooking will be like horrible ironic shadows on Plato's cave wall. I will have retreated into the world of human imagination at the price of the real world and real communication with people and the environment outside. Perhaps I will squeal "The Horror! The Horror!"

And see this video of De Botton from 2010: Sunday Sermons - On Pessimism.
There could hardly be anything that seems more like a jolt in the backside than all this exploration of some of Seneca's views. It seems much more alarmist and sexy than even the News.

Here, apparently, is an excerpt from the book:

" Applied to the news, having perspective involves an ability to compare an apparently traumatic event in the present with the experiences of humanity across the whole of its history - in order to work out what level of attention and fear it should fairly demand. With perspective in mind, we soon realize that - contrary to what the news suggests - hardly anything is totally novel, few things are truly amazing and very little is absolutely terrible. The revolution will not mean the end of history; it will just change a lot of things in many different small and complicated ways. The economic indices are grim, but we have weathered comparable drops many times over the last century and even the worst scenarios only predict that we will return to a standard of living we had a few decades ago, when life was still possible. A bad avian flu may disrupt international travel and defeat known drugs for a while, but research laboratories will eventually understand and contain it. The floods look dramatic, but in the end they will affect merely a fraction of the population and recede soon enough. Cancers and heart attacks have multiple causes that we may never understand completely, but eternal life was never on the agenda. Rome fell, but 600 years later everything was almost back to normal again."

If you are one of those that dies through Avian flu you will no longer have any perspective to keep or play with. The logic of the above is flawed. It assumes that we are God-like - that we are both immortal and omniscient.

Apparently the man who invented The News in the form of the modern newspaper with called 'Harmsworth'. See this extract from Wikipedia:"Although born in Chapelizod, County Dublin, Harmsworth was educated at Stamford School in Lincolnshire, England, from 1876 and at Henley House School in Kilburn, London from 1878.[1] A master at Henley House who was to prove important to his future was J. V. Milne, the father of A. A. Milne, who encouraged him to start the school magazine." The father of the Winnie The Pooh author.

Also, I do not understand why Alain De Botton receives tweets all the time from The Prime Minister, David Cameron, Alistair Campbell etc if he is not interested almost obsessively with keeping up with the News.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2014 6:11 PM GMT

Men, Women and Ghosts
Men, Women and Ghosts
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Some superb poems, 20 Feb 2014
I have just discovered Amy Lowell and am taken aback by just how good some of her poetry is. I really recommend this collection. Had she been a man I think she would have been much more well known and have received really great acclaim.

Finnegans Wake (Oxford World's Classics)
Finnegans Wake (Oxford World's Classics)
by James Joyce
Price: 9.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Michael Finnegan, 22 Jan 2014
I might not be the first person to say this - but has this book got anything to do with the old song about Michael Finnegan?

"There was an old man called Michael Finnegan,

He grew whiskers on his chinagain

The wind came out and blew them in again,

Poor old Michael Finnegan. Begin again!"

He keeps suffering all kinds of adversity and difficulties but keeps being urged and encouraged to begin again.

Efcolor Enamelling Set
Efcolor Enamelling Set
Price: 26.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Really interesting product, 5 Jan 2014
Looking forward to some experiments in the kitchen! It is sometimes difficult to get a completely even result...but the enamel is hard and colourful.

Selling On eBay: The Beginner's Guide For How To Sell On eBay
Selling On eBay: The Beginner's Guide For How To Sell On eBay
Price: 3.12

1.0 out of 5 stars Very basic and surprisingly short., 5 Jan 2014
I really don't know why I bothered - but to be fair perhaps it was partly my fault for searching for more guidance on what is perhaps fairly obvious anyway...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9