Profile for Not My Real Name > Reviews

Content by Not My Real Name

Not My Real Name (UK)

The Radio Sky and How to Observe It (Astronomers' Observing Guides)
The Radio Sky and How to Observe It (Astronomers' Observing Guides)
by Jeff Lashley

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book, 20 Mar 2014
Great coverage of the subject, just technical enough but not too technical, so well judged, and it actually covers making your own radio telescope using a satellite dish.

Getting Started in Radio Astronomy: Beginner Projects for the Amateur (The Patrick Moore Practical Astronomy Series)

2.0 out of 5 stars Amateurish, 20 Mar 2014
I hate to do this, but this book is badly written, though informative if you can get through the folksy style.

A Student's Guide to the Mathematics of Astronomy
A Student's Guide to the Mathematics of Astronomy
by Daniel Fleisch

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful and superbly written book, 20 Mar 2014
I read this recently as a primer to a series of books on radio astronomy. I was delighted with the book. The selection and presentation of the material is first rate. I have begun ordering more books by these authors on the basis of this one alone.

Practical Electronics for Inventors, Third Edition
Practical Electronics for Inventors, Third Edition
by Paul Scherz

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on Electronics I have read, 10 May 2013
This is a BIG book, physically, and in scope. It does NOT disappoint. I'm only 20 or so pages in, and already it's taught me something fundamental that I had not learned from all the other books on this subject I've read over the last 40 years. Because it's covering all the bases (the electronics, the underlying physics and the maths) it requires concentration, but that, I'm confident, will be rewarded with a grasp of the subject I've failed to acquire elsewhere. Recommended.

Raspberry Pi User Guide
Raspberry Pi User Guide
by Eben Upton

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for Pi owners, 1 Oct 2012
This is an essential guide for Raspberry Pi owners, even if (like me) they're experienced with unix / Linux systems. It's even useful if you just want a leg-up with Debian Linux without a Pi.

Just buy it.

Earth
Earth

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb story, prescient of so many technological developments, 28 Jun 2012
This review is from: Earth (Kindle Edition)
A superb story, prescient of so many technological developments, I have read and re-read this book several times over the past 18 years.

However, the Kindle version is chock-full of transcription errors and mistakes in what I assume is an OCR-scanned edition. It really really should have at least been proof-read before being released in eBook format. Please correct this (or pay me to do it for you) and re-release.

Electronics Demystified
Electronics Demystified
by Stan Gibilisco

5.0 out of 5 stars Best intro book on electronics that I've read, 14 Sep 2011
I have dozens of electronics textbooks and none are as well written and easy to grasp as this. Suddenly all the stuff I learned on my Radio Amateur course makes sense. It manages to cover subjects such as Complex Numbers without patronising. Perhaps the author could be persuaded to write a maths textbook - I'd buy it! Excellent.

Superchick
Superchick
by Stephen J. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars The funniest book I've read in a Very Long Time, 30 Jan 2007
This review is from: Superchick (Paperback)
I got given a copy of this book on a recent business trip. Nearly wet myself laughing in the departure lounge in Delhi airport and all the way home. Utterly utterly brilliant!