Profile for YMO > Reviews

Gossip from the Forest: A Search for the Hidden Roots of Our Fairytales
Gossip from the Forest: A Search for the Hidden Roots of Our Fairytales
Price: 6.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 12 Feb 2013
I loved her re-tellings of classic fairy tales from an unexpected perspective eg a minor character. And also the thoughtful chapters deconstructing our relationship with forests and the natural world.

Timex Sport Ironman Midsize Triathlon 30 Lap Watch - T5E961
Timex Sport Ironman Midsize Triathlon 30 Lap Watch - T5E961
Price: 39.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice look but fiddly, 5 Jan 2013
This looks really sleek on my wrist and is just right for my very small wrist. But I found the process for setting the different functions fiddly and confusing. The Polar watches are much more intuitive when it comes to the way the buttons work for programming functions. For the price tho this watch is fine for what it is.

Tatonka Rucksack Chest Strap, 25mm
Tatonka Rucksack Chest Strap, 25mm
Price: 5.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat, 5 Jan 2013
I got this to hold the arms of my rucksack together as they kept slipping off my shoulders. These straps worked exactly as I needed them to. Also the button fastening to attach them to the rucksack meant I didn't need and specialist buckle to use them

2 x Universal Capacitive Stylus Pen for iPad 1, 2 & 3, iPhone 4, HTC, Tablet pc, Asus Tablets, Advent, Samsung Galaxy, Mobile Phones, PC, Blackberry Playbook & Phones, Android and all other Capacitive Screens Devices - Universal Stylus Touchscreen pen with STRAP - Assorted Colours

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very responsive, 5 Jan 2013
These pens are adequate but not very responsive esp if you have a Perspex cover on your iPhone screen. They are also difficult to drag across an unprotected screen, slowing down the pce of writing. I have other Boxwave stylus pens that are much better.

The Hero Within: Six Archtypes We Live by Newly Revised and Expanded: Six Archetypes We Live by
by Carol S. Pearson
Price: 10.07

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 20 Feb 2012
The author offers a fresh way to look at the different aspects of who we are using the language of different archetypes. She encourages us to develop the different archetypes in order to come fully into our selves. Eg if you are too much in the Warrior archetype, you tend to see battles everywhere whereas it may be more useful in some situations to bring your Innocent archetype to the fore.

Enlightening and informative, easy to read.

A History of Illuminated Manuscripts
A History of Illuminated Manuscripts
by Christopher de Hamel
Price: 24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent intro to illuminated manuscripts, 20 Feb 2012
I love the colour plates which give a detailed look at the illuminations. It's great to pore over the tiny intricate details.

The author tells the story of how manuscripts evolved and gives the context of the era and culture that produced each type of manuscript.

A fascinating and wonderful book!

BoxWave EverTouch Capacitive Stylus - (Newest Technology) Touchscreen iPad 3 Stylus with Ultra Durable FiberMesh Fabric Tip for Apple iPad 3, iPad 2, iPhone 4S / 4, Amazon Kindle Fire, All Touch Screen Tablets (Jet Black)
Offered by BoxWave Corporation
Price: 7.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great iphone pen, 20 Feb 2012
This pen is just what I wanted to use Writepad and Handwriting on my iPhone 4. You have to be firm to make sure it makes contact properly but otherwise it works really well.

The nib is made of rubber - it looks and feels like the tip of a rubber washing up glove. I don't know how fragile it will be over time. It would be good to have a pen cap to protect it esp when I put it into my bag and it gets pushed up against other items esp those that might have sharp edges.

Duronic Apex Digital Display Wind-Up Solar Powered AM/FM Radio Alarm Clock Torch Phone Charging Function - NEVER NEEDS BATTERIES
Offered by DURONIC

3.0 out of 5 stars Must charge via USB first and every 4-8 weeks!, 16 Dec 2011
It only came to light in very small print when I got the radio that you have to charge it first using the USB plug and also every 4-8 weeks. This was a disappointment as it looked like the radio was a self sufficient wind up and/ or solar powered radio. Having to charge it via my PC or laptop seems to defeat the purpose of that! Also when I plugged it in to charge, there was no light indicating it was charging so I don't know if it is in fact now charged up via the USB plug. Maybe if it is left to solar charge on the window sill or if I wind it up regularly after the first charge it will be self sufficient after that - we shall see... The instruction manual is not very clear about all this.

The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales (Penguin Psychology)
by Bruno Bettelheim
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating but too Freudian, 9 Dec 2011
Fascinating insight into the deeper cultural and psychological meanings of fairy tales. The take is too Freudian for my personal taste but that doesn't detract from how this book prompts us to appreciate the value of archetypal stories to tell us something about the human condition and who we are as individuals.

Lost in Austen [DVD] (2008)
Lost in Austen [DVD] (2008)
Dvd ~ Jemima Rooper
Price: 7.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Dec 2011
This review is from: Lost in Austen [DVD] (2008) (DVD)
A hilarious post modern take on a classic. It helps if you are a P&P fan and know the story as well as the various film versions. We laughed out loud

Page: 1 | 2