Profile for H. Popeck > Reviews

Content by H. Popeck

H. Popeck "bigaitch" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
World Film Locations: New York
World Film Locations: New York
by Scott Jordan Harris

2.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy. Could be so much better, 8 Nov 2013
If ever a book called out for decent production values then this is it. However, the production is cheap and shoddy and yes, this does detract from the text. NY is an ultra photogenic city and yet the poorly composed images appear out of focus and on inappropriately matt paper. The text is adequate, but nothing more than this. The coverage is illustrative rather than exhaustive. For example, no reference to the semi-classic Scent of a Woman. All in all a wasted opportunity and a mediocre purchase. Come on you guys - how difficult is it to get this right?

Live At The BBC (NTSC)
Live At The BBC (NTSC)

4.0 out of 5 stars And yet .... I'm left wondering if for obscure (but not to RT, no doubt) reasons there are ........., 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: Live At The BBC (NTSC) (Audio CD)
Pretty much providing most of the missing classic performances I am overall pretty pleased with the purchase. And yet .... I'm left wondering if for obscure (but not to RT, no doubt) reasons there are perhaps superior performances which have been omitted. Oh well. Meanwhile the preceding reviews from others here are in the main accurate in my view despite their contrasting observations. [...]

Autism: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Autism: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Uta Frith

5.0 out of 5 stars A very fine piece of work, 21 Sep 2012
Once again I find the observations by the preceding readers to be correct. A very fine piece of work and in my view the bibliography is worth the book price on its own. I offer my sincere congratulations and admiration to the author. I am, because of her enlightened.

Anaesthesia: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Anaesthesia: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by (Anesthetist) Aidan O'Donnell

5.0 out of 5 stars The preceeding user reviews say it better than I can, 21 Sep 2012
As usual with this excellent series (I have 17 titles) I am a very happy buyer. The other reviews here better express my thoughts than I can. No need for duplication by me.

Cool Blues (The Rudy Van Gelder Edition)
Cool Blues (The Rudy Van Gelder Edition)

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't make my mistake. This is NOT blues, 21 Nov 2011
Maybe the title was meant to be ironic.? As I loath jazz, well - most of it I'm utterly unsuited to comment on the quality of the music. What I can tell is that if there's any BLUES here, however tenuous or marginal the connection is, it sure isn't apparent to me. So, a mean 1 star out of 5 only because of the deliberately misleading title. Am I annoyed? Yes, I certainly am!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2013 4:09 AM BST

The Rising Son: The Story of a Boy, a Pub, a War and a Remarkable Woman
The Rising Son: The Story of a Boy, a Pub, a War and a Remarkable Woman
by James Kelso

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a great story and so beautifully written too, 23 Jun 2011
Such a great story and so beautifully written too. I was captivated. Read the entire book in just two sitting and really didn't want it to end. On the face of, nothing of any great significant in the scheme of things happens in these pages - but these seemingly small stories, within the greater story, clearly mean much to the author. He writes in a seductive and gentle way that draws you into his life as he recalls it. There's no pathos and no-self pity. Moreover I had the curious sensation of being there with him, sort of observing his memories in the way he was revisiting them as he wrote them down. Both slightly, but only slightly disquieting but at the same time intriguing. The characters, all of them real too, and the streets, the buildings and emotions are all there. Even the sad bits are funny. I do so hope he writes a follow-up. All in a wonderful read and despite being a cynical reader I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

The Complete Blind Willie Johnson
The Complete Blind Willie Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding. Not for the faint hearted though. No way, 29 Jan 2010
If blues music really has a deep deep soul, then this may well be it. If you're expecting Chicago Blues, or Delta Blues, Johnny Winter and stuff like that, then look elsewhere. This is Gospel Blues. Another sub-genre altogether. If the newly buried could sing then they might well sound like this guy. The performances are compelling and in some cases chilling - if not harrowing. But for me, it's a fantastic ride and in some respects a privilege to be able to hear stuff like this. Highly recommended, but not for the novice or neophyte blues beginner `cos one blast of this could put the inexperienced blues listener right off; which would be a great shame.

The Pearls Concert
The Pearls Concert
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars By far, her very finest live recording, 27 Dec 2009
This review is from: The Pearls Concert (Audio CD)
Not only a terrific vocal performance by outstanding contribution from her band plus a very high quality recording too. I doubt if we'll ever hear better from her, unless you go to her live gigs which, are always fantastic.

by Robert L. Jolles

5.0 out of 5 stars THE best on subject that I've read in 40 years, 14 Oct 2009
Written by a professional persuader rather than a professional manipulator - and that's where this fine book achieves and retains its edge above all others.

Customer Centered Selling: Eight Steps to Success from the World's Best Sales Force
by Rob Jolles

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost the best on subject that I've read in 40 years., 14 Oct 2009
Why? Because it never crosses the line between persuasion and manipulation - whereas the majority of other books on the subject (and I've reads scores of them) frequently do. The best one = Customer Centered Selling: Eight Straight Steps to Success from the World's Best Sales Force

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6