Profile for Lindy Kelly > Reviews

The Ballymaloe Cookbook
The Ballymaloe Cookbook
by Myrtle Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars it is a joy to read - almost like therapy, 12 Aug. 2015
The cookbook that I have been waiting for all my life. To be honest it contains a lot of things that I already do and have devised for myself, but it gives me confidence to know that my recipes are so similar to such a successful cook's.
Whether you are interested in cooking or not, it is a joy to read - almost like therapy, so simple and uncluttered, and I love and have learnt a ot from Myrtle's little hints and wrinkles before you actually start taking each section. I have NEVER sweated veg before - WOW what a difference it makes to the flavour. Buy it!

The Moonlight Palace
The Moonlight Palace

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little escape, 18 Oct. 2014
As the title of my review says, this book is a nice little escape. I loved the atmosphere that the author evoked of both Singapore and the 1920's, but felt the characters were,a little weak and stereotypical. I was interested in the political aspect with the backdrop to the rise of communism in the beginning of the book, and felt that this could have been developed greater to create a longer and more comes story. That being said, I enjoyed the book.

The Marie Antoinette Diet: Eat Cake and Still Lose Weight
The Marie Antoinette Diet: Eat Cake and Still Lose Weight
by Karen Wheeler

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Souper'!, 11 Feb. 2014
I devoured this little book in one sitting. It is a well researched, informative and entertaining read written in Karen's easy accesible style. Quite a lot things I was aware of already, but this 'kicked them all into touch' so to speak. I, like Karen, live in France, and like her also my weight has gradually been creeping up, much to my frustration as I have watched in amazement my 'skinny Minny' French friends tucking into huge steaks and enourmous salads and, a few granted, French fries, washed down by wine and followed by a dessert, while I sucked on a rye cracker and was ravenous when I got home from work and ate the entire fridge, while they were obviously sipping soup and munching salad! My partner has been banging on about my eating habits (i.e. having my main meal in the evening) since I arrived here, but what did he know - he's a man ermmm a French man, who is also extremely lean.....

This is not so much a diet book, but a whole new way of thinking, there are no real rules, and Karen encourages you to customise and play about with meals, rather than stick to her plan rigidley, which she acknowledges is not always possible or realistic. Due to my lifestyle, not working regular hours and not always having access to a restaurant or canteen, it was more practical for me to have the soup for lunch served with an ounce of cheese, in place of the roll and butter that I would normally have eaten, followed by a high calcium yogurt with a couple of chopped dried prunes. This has proved to be a real turning point for me, as often I was leaving the house around miday and did not have the time to cook or eat, now I have a constant pan of soup on the stove or saved in the frdge or freezer, so I can always have a 'proper' meal before I leave rather than raiding the nearest 'Paul' the bakery en route! Likewise, I often work until lunchtime and then travel home arriving after 2 by which time I make the quickest thing to eat that I can - again an enourmous sandwhich. All these carbs were making me hungry again by 6 and by 6.30 I was munching on apero bicuits (more carbs) then ploughing through 4 courses and going to bed stuffed and waking up like the living dead.

We now restrict the aperetif to one night a week, I have salad for entree, fish or meat and vegetables for the main course, omit the cheese, as I have had cheese at lunchtime, and eat a fruit based dessert, and have substituted my large Brit style wine glasses for the smaller french cafe variety and sip one of those.

Result - I have more energy, do not have bouts of extreme hunger and have lost, 3 lb in just over a week - not as much as some, but I must point out that I only really have 6 or 7 lb to lose and I have 'nipped it in the bud' so to speak - Paris is not as forgiving as Poitiers.........Well done Karen and many thanks

Hothouse Flower
Hothouse Flower
by Lucinda Riley

2.0 out of 5 stars Missed oportunity, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Hothouse Flower (Paperback)
I feel very sad, as this book could have been wonderful, but as many have said in other reviews, the answers were handed to the reader on a plate in the opening chapters. I also found the constant 'French connecion' annoying and think I would have kept Giselle over Adrienne (I live in France and have never met anyone with these names!)
In the author's defence, I really enjoyed the part set in Thailand and feel that this could have been expanded (the prison camp) and less of the 'scene setting/giving the plot away' in the opening chapters.....I also found the reappearance of the horrible husband totally unecessary and this took me away from the tension of Elsie's revelations (nothing on the father's reaction - instead we were all with 'Agnes' again in France!)This would have been ok if this was the main theme of the book and fully explored, but just shoved in at the last 40 or so pages just irritated.
I think if the author had left revealing Kit's skills at the piano until the 'Oriental hotel', that would have given us a little bit of satisfaction, and maybe instead of Lydia turning into the fairy Godmother, she and Elsie could have had a mutual grieving and healing for the loss of Jasmine.....I can only guess that this was either a first novel, or hot of the heels of a first novel success. Having just read the first and second novels by the brilliant Tan Twan Eng there is no comparrison.

The Gift of Rain
The Gift of Rain
by Tan Twan Eng

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gift of a read, 18 May 2013
This review is from: The Gift of Rain (Paperback)
I read and thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful prose in 'The Garden of Evening Mists' but this book marries together Tan Twan Eng's exquisitely poignant writing with gripping drama illustrating the horrors and senseless suffering of war. Not an easy read in many places, the characters are totally believable and it really places you in the story - I almost missed my train and my stop on numerous occasions I was so engrossed. As 'Birsong' an essential read.

Celebrate: A year of British festivities for families and friends
Celebrate: A year of British festivities for families and friends
by Pippa Middleton

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected surprise, 25 Jan. 2013
I love this book! It is so inspirational. I bought it out of curiosity, and was very pleasantly surprised!. I find it readable, lovely to look at and it has a nice 'feel'. I have already tried some of the recipes - the butternut squash lasagne is a big success and I have made this 3 times so far (adding my own little touches) I also like the seasonal approach that Pippa has taken. I would buy another book of hers if she produces one.

The Garden of Evening Mists
The Garden of Evening Mists
by Tan Twan Eng

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 25 Jan. 2013
I am still reading this book, it is a bit slow, bit very well written, and I am sure that there are some surprises waiting for me as I progress throught it.....

Everything Alice: the Wonderland Book of Makes
Everything Alice: the Wonderland Book of Makes
by Hannah Read-Baldrey

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely idea, 25 Jan. 2013
I bought this book for my 25 year old daughter, who loved dpretending to be Alice when she was young and now loves to have themed tea parties/cocktail parties etc. This book is full of lovely ideas and is just nice to sit and look through, even if you do not make any of the things inside - but I am sure that she will....

Knitting for the Absolute Beginner
Knitting for the Absolute Beginner
by Alison Dupernex

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to the knitty gritty, 25 Jan. 2013
I returned very rusty to knitting after a break of around 20 years, and found this little book very practical, I am now knitting my first garment - the little stripey baby jumper and so far so good.........

Tout Soul: The Pursuit of Happiness in Rural France.
Tout Soul: The Pursuit of Happiness in Rural France.
by Karen Wheeler

5.0 out of 5 stars Tout a 'fate', 23 May 2012
Karen Wheeler bruised my heart with this beautifully written, poignant, brutally honest book, which illustrates the triumph of the human spirit with much more clarity than many books written for this specific purpose. I feel humbled in the face of Karen's courage and capacity for love and forgiveness - and she still managed to make me laugh out loud and transport me out of the grimy city into the blue skies and golden fields of Poitou Charente. When a writer can not only make you laugh and make you cry, but also thouroughly entertain you and make you take a step back and think, this is a true gift. 'Tout Soul' deserves to be right up there in the 'Best Seller' list. Like all Karen's readers, I'm waiting for 'Tout Four'

Page: 1 | 2