Profile for Aerowez > Reviews

Content by Aerowez

Aerowez

Braun Series 7 745 Pulsonic Pro-System Electric Rechargeable Foil Shaver with Clean and Renew Charger

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, a really good shaver, 10 Aug 2013
I have spent several months trying to choose a replacement for my poor quality Remington 5790 and like everyone, have followed the reviews, trying hard (but failing) to ignore the one and two star ratings which always seem to spoil the many more eulogistic five star critiques. So imagine my surprise when I discovered this shaver had no bad reviews at all. The only one.

As a mechanical engineer I care very much about good design, attention to detail and longevity which of course is unknowable but likely to be high if the product is made well from high class materials, both of which qualities cost money. So I have learnt to ignore the cheap alternatives as over the years you soon forget the original cost. Running costs however are a different matter and blokes of my age don't expect a shaver to have any at all, bar the occasional new foil and a tiny amount of electricity. This shaver does have a piece of wizardry, the cleaning station, which requires regular top-ups of special fluid. No problem though because you don't have to use this every day. I reckon once every two or three days is enough and in between you can rinse it under a tap.

The shave itself is without doubt the best I have ever had from an electric; it comes close to a wet razor shave but without the blood. As soon as I switched it on for the first time I sensed quality. It is very quiet, surprisingly high-pitched because it runs a lot faster than the usual 50Hz and the foil really does seem to pick up those stray hairs that the other shaver always missed. The side trimmer sticks out a sensible distance so you have good control over it. It is quite small, compact and fits the hand nicely with the buttons in the right places.

I like the fact that a decent little pouch is supplied for travelling (the old Remington had nothing; worse was the fact that he foil cover kept springing off so the shaver had no protection).

The cleaning/charging unit is covered with enough LEDs to light up the room but seems to work and is a good place to store the shaver even if it is not always used. The fluid is supplied in a flat box which slips into the base. The box is transparent so presumably when the time comes to change it you get a horrible view of the month's gloop before quickly snapping the lid on and binning it.

I have only had this for a week but I think it is a superb shaver, well worth the money. My wife is certainly appreciating the results and thinks the cleaner to be a fine solution to her perennial worries about my sloppy attitudes to hygiene.

Kärcher K4 Water-Cooled Pressure Washer
Kärcher K4 Water-Cooled Pressure Washer

3.0 out of 5 stars confusing instructions, 15 April 2013
I have been using this for 2 days and it seems good enough for what I need it for. The high pressure rotating nozzle seems more useful than the other which produces a fan shaped jet. I had read a huge number of reviews for these washers costing up to £300 and it seems a lot of people have trouble of various kinds with nearly all of them and indeed my previous Karcher (10 years ago) packed up irretrievably within 18 months. This new one has a 3 year guarantee suggesting better components. It is made in Italy.

Assembling it was dead easy until I came to installing the detergent bottle supplied. This is called Universal Cleaner and has a lid which seems to incorporate a non-return valve. The instructions tell you to remove this lid, turn the bottle upside down and pop it into the space provided. Well, if you were to do this, all the liquid would immediately end up on the floor. It looks as if the top section of the lid requires puncturing with a nail first; then this section would fit over the spike in the receiver part and be sealed by an O ring which I can see near the bottom. So I am now awaiting a reply from Karcher as to what to do. Others must have encountered this problem or have I missed something?

Washing the car with the variable pressure fan nozzle was hopeless. You obviously need the soap stuff. I don't want to have to use a brush attachment as this seems to defeat the whole purpose of having high pressure to do the job. I haven't tried with the high pressure jet in case it takes the paint off. Would it? Comments invited!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2013 3:23 PM BST