Profile for Burnie > Reviews

Burnie

Never Been Gone
Never Been Gone

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Greatest Hits Live, 24 Mar 2012
This review is from: Never Been Gone (Audio CD)
Carly Simon is not resting on her laurels rather presenting a raw, stripped but beautifully communicative collection of her best known work. In this age of polished perfection it is great to hear something real and human.

Live On Air
Live On Air

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical Gem, 23 Mar 2011
This review is from: Live On Air (Audio CD)
Ry Cooder at his absolute best and a marvellously dynamic recording too. I note the poor reviews for the DVD version of this but those simply relate to the film not the music or sound quality. A solid 5 stars.

Original Album Series [5 Pack]
Original Album Series [5 Pack]

5.0 out of 5 stars HDCD Remastered - A Great Buy, 24 Feb 2011
The review above is inaccurate in stating that the Cars discs are not remastered. They are the HDCD remasters and, unusually for a 'remaster', sound just fine. Combined with nice simple packaging this makes for a classic collection at a bargain price.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2011 8:01 PM BST

I, Flathead
I, Flathead

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent music making at its best, 27 Oct 2008
This review is from: I, Flathead (Audio CD)
If you like the recent crop of character fuelled narrative records from Ry, then this is for you.

Paints wonderful images with his lyrics and often profound emotions with his music. A true new world genius.

My Name Is Buddy
My Name Is Buddy

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mature Classic, 25 Nov 2007
This review is from: My Name Is Buddy (Audio CD)
I love this record. I have all the others and really enjoy the range on this album as it covers most of his musical adventures. Touches of the first album, then Boomers Story and even The Slide Area...Sonically superb as usual with great dashes of humour. It's a gem.

Into The Blues
Into The Blues

3.0 out of 5 stars Highly variable and too mannered, 25 May 2007
This review is from: Into The Blues (Audio CD)
Hmmm....must be getting old but I'm disappointed. It all sounds a bit of an effort with the voice sounding like a Joan caricature at times (she actually comes across a bit crackers on a couple of tracks). Not as consistently well sound engineered as even the earliest Joan recordings either. Die-hard fans only need purchase IMHO.

On reflection in 2009, this has grown on me, and I now find its variability a strong quality which, if I'm in the mood, I like. FOUR STARS.