Profile for T. Elliot > Reviews

Content by T. Elliot

T. Elliot "T. Elliot" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Evolution: The Cutting Edge Guide to Breaking Down Mental Walls and Building the Body You've Always Wanted
by Joe Manganiello
Price: 10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Agree with the crowd..., 11 Mar 2014
First things first - I agree that the actual quality of the paper is really lacking. For a book you'll be referring back to quite often, there's a good possibility it'll be tatty before long.
The actual quality of the contents though I can't fault. It's true that the workouts often rely on alternating exercises between sets, which can be a struggle in a public gym, however even if you can't do that it's a great workout.
Do what you can do and tweak what you can't to make it suit. This book has gotten me out of a workout plateau and given me the best results I've had for a long time, and I've been working out for the best part if 20 years.

Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files v. 1
Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files v. 1
by John Wagner
Price: 10.49

3.0 out of 5 stars More of a curio than anything..., 25 Jan 2013
As others have said this isn't Dredd at his best. It's very much of its time, and the mostly short punchy stories seem rather un-sophisticated by the standards of later stories. Most of the self contained tales in the collection are Dredd tackling a foe in a some quick and easy fashion (usually shooting them), and there's little in the way of connectivity between stories.

That's not to say this isn't enjoyable. It's light but mildly entertaining stuff and the odd story is of a higher quality than the rest. I found it to be more of a curio than anything, seeing where Dredd came from, and watching as they figure out who he is.

The volume itself is a nice paperback that's good value for money considering how much content is in there, so no complaints there. I think to give this five stars would be a disservice to later volumes where the stories are so much better.

So great package, stories veering towards the weaker end of the scale, but the best is yet to come...

The Venus Complex
The Venus Complex
by Barbie Wilde
Edition: Perfect Paperback
Price: 9.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 18 Nov 2012
I won't write a sprawling review of The Venus complex, but suffice to say I agree with the thoughts of the five star reviews so far. This is a thoroughly entertaining read, and Barbie Wilde flawlessly puts herself into the mind of her new serial killer creation giving us a character who we're repulsed by, but can't help but being fascinated by either.

I've enjoyed Barbie Wilde's short stories in the past, and I'm glad to see that she's made the jump to full length novels look effortless. I look forward to seeing what Comes next!

What Monsters Do
What Monsters Do
Price: 1.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicholas Vince knows horror....., 31 Aug 2012
This review is from: What Monsters Do (Kindle Edition)
Having given us memorable turns in Hellraiser and Nightbreed, Nicholas Vince is ready to horrify us all over again with his short story collection What Monsters Do, and he doesn't disappoint.

Vince's collection of thoughtful and inventive short stories where the monsters aren't always who or what you'd expect is a wonderfully twisted and refreshing take on the genre. Not every monster has claws and fangs in Vince's stories, but the ones that do are realised with great imagination. The werewolf transformation and the ghost with the mutilated face are particular favourites. And then there are the human monsters, who are just as horrific, if not more so, that their beastly counterparts.

This is an easy to read collection of enjoyable and satisfying horror tales, and at this price it's a steal. I'm looking forward to reading what Nicholas Vince unleashes on us in the future!

Powerbar 2 Doorway pull up bar with FREE Gloves
Powerbar 2 Doorway pull up bar with FREE Gloves

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised..., 11 July 2012
I've been working out for years, but less free time has mean't having to try to do more at home of late. I weigh in at about sixteen stone, so I was pretty sceptical about whether this would allow me to do pull ups without ripping the door frame off. Opening the package and finding that the unit is actually pretty light-weight didn't fill me with much confidence either, but after tentatively trying it out, it actually works just fine. It supports my weight no problem, and thankfully my door frame is still intact!

Easy to attach to the door frame, light but robust, folds up flat so you can store it easily. A good product, for a good price. Recommended.

Traveller's Duty (The Traveller Series Book 1)
Traveller's Duty (The Traveller Series Book 1)
Price: 2.11

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable start..., 4 July 2012
This is a great little read by first time author Matt Dillon. Well written, easy to read and full of interesting characters.

I found myself eager to get back to the universe that's being created here by the end, and I eagerly await the next in the series!

The Twilight Zone - Season Two [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
The Twilight Zone - Season Two [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Burgess Meredith
Price: 18.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Flawless Release, 20 Jun 2011
Yet again The Twilight Zone has been treated to a top notch box set.

I personally find on the whole the season isn't quite as strong as the first, but it's still great.

The image quality on the blu ray is fantastic, and if you're a fan of commentaries it's worth upgrading from the DVD's for Marc Zicree's new chat tracks.

To top it off there are fisteen of The Twilight Zone Radio drama's too.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 18, 2012 6:04 PM GMT

The Twilight Zone - Season One [Blu-ray] [1959] [Region Free]
The Twilight Zone - Season One [Blu-ray] [1959] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Douglas Heyes
Price: 18.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant release for a brilliant show...., 12 April 2011
I bought this from the US when it came out because there didn't seem to be a UK release on the way, now I wish I'd waited, because these are cheaper than the US sets, but the transfers and features are exactly the same!

It's nice to see that in this age of double dipping they didn't just re-do the DVD editions. All of the old features are there, but with a whole load of new featuyres added too. There's even some audio adaptations of the stories. I'd never heard these before but they're really good!.

The main thing is though the image and audio on the blu ray. Both are oustanding. It's hard to imagine a fifty year old TV show can look and sound this good!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2011 11:45 PM BST

Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide DVD
Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide DVD
Dvd ~ Marc Morris
Price: 16.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential...., 24 Dec 2010
This is essential viewing for both horror fans or anyone interested in cinema history.

It starts out as a warm fuzzy look at the video era before detailing the witch hunt that followed. Not only is the documentary brilliant, but then you have every trailer for the video nasties introduced by some of the UK's top horror writers and journalists.

A great package and great value for money.

A Bay of Blood [Blu-ray] [DVD] [Region Free]
A Bay of Blood [Blu-ray] [DVD] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Claudine Auger
Price: 7.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Great release...., 24 Dec 2010
Don't believe some of the nonsense being talked about this release here (and no, I don't work for Arrow).

This is a top notch release and the film has never looked better. Great presentation, great extras and a nice overall package. Let's hope it leads to more Bava being released in the UK.

Page: 1 | 2