ARRAY(0xa284933c)

At The BBC
At The BBC
Price: 37.38

3.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to give this 5 stars, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: At The BBC (Audio CD)
I really wanted to give this 5 stars. I've been a lifelong Bolan fan (since before I was a teenager in the early '70s) and the idea of a boxed set of radio sessions, including previously unreleased material, is extremely appealing. When I first opened the package I was very impressed. The presentation is beautiful, and great care has been taken over the detail in the notes and the look of the package. So far so good.

The first CD has some live John's Children - a rare treat - and some fabulous live radio studio Tyrannosaurus Rex material. Very exciting. When we get to the second CD I begin to be puzzled. The notes state the place of the 'live session' but what I hear is Brian Matthews or John Peel introducing the record - it is literally just the record, but with inferior sound quality to the record, since it is a radio broadcast. For the rest of the boxed set we have a mixture of genuinely live material, the original record with a slight difference - a new vocal track, for instance, or just the actual record, though the CD notes suggest it is a live session. This latter category unfortunately and increasingly dominates the number of tracks on each CD.

So I'm glad I have it - there are some lovely live recordings on here and interesting interviews - but I do feel like I've been sold short by some mischievous misrepresentation.

Breathe Easy Steam Inhaler
Breathe Easy Steam Inhaler
Offered by Betterware
Price: 7.99

1.0 out of 5 stars This inhaler is totally ineffective, 30 Oct 2013
Until I bought the Breath Easy steam inhaler I had been inhaling over a recently-boiled kettle, which I found to be effective and the sensation of inhaling heat and moisture a pleasant experience. My specialist suggested I buy something where I can prolong the effect, but with the Breath Easy steam inhaler I get no effect whatever: no steam, no heat, just breathing pointlessly into plastic. If I suck in air from the product intensely then I get something, but I also get light-headed. I have found another product that includes a heating element within it - that seems more like it will actually work.

The Ballad Literature and Popular Music of the Olden Time: A History of the Ancient Songs, Ballads, and of the Dance Tunes of England, With Numerous ... of the Minstrels, Vol. 2 (Classic Reprint)
by W. Chappell
Price: 9.42

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book - appalling reproduction, 23 Aug 2013
The Ballad Literature and Popular Music of the Olden Time is an indispensable book for those interested in traditional and early music - excellent, informative, scholarly. It is available online but I wanted a copy of both volumes (it comes in 2 volumes) I can carry around. This edition by Forgotten Books states "digitally remastered" on the back, and that "careful attention has been made to accurately preserve the original format of each page whilst digitally enhancing the quality of the aged text." So why, when I turn to pages 724-725 of this edition, do I see 4 pieces of music, none of which are completely readable due to white blank streaks down the page that completely eliminate some notes? Flicking through the book, I see the same fault on pages 716, 659, 636, 605, 587, 373 (a particularly bad page), 754 (which actually says 54 as even the 7 of the page number is missing), 749 (another particularly bad page) ... well, you get the idea. I'll be looking for a second copy of the original. In the meantime, I'll continue consulting the website.

National Geographic - Bloody Tales from the Tower [DVD]
National Geographic - Bloody Tales from the Tower [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joe Crowley
Price: 9.33

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy it for the extra feature, 14 May 2013
Dr Suzannah Lipscomb is a clear-sighted historian who writes and presents with interest and clarity. Her work on Henry VIII has shed new light on the man and his motivation. So it is her work and her style that made me want to watch this DVD. Unfortunately, the presence of journalist Joe Crowley, who repeatedly uses such yoof-friendly phrases as "extremely awesome" (a direct quote), and National Geographic's in-house Blue Peter style, which assumes the audience has the attention span of a child and cannot be expected to digest any information bigger than bite-size, mars the programmes. This means that complex stories are sometimes reduced to phrases that simplify the history beyond reason. And the children's TV pretence that they don't know things and are 'going to investigate' for the programme is irritating.

Of the three programmes, each is more successful than the previous, less prone to the faults above. The highlight for me is the 52 minute extra feature, interviewing the production crew and showing extra scenes of historical reconstruction not shown in the three programmes. This, for me, far outshines the finished programmes: it is straightforwardly informative, visually interesting, and treats the viewer as an adult.

Jazz Flip Screen Digital Video Camcorder Black
Jazz Flip Screen Digital Video Camcorder Black

1.0 out of 5 stars There are reasons this is cheap, 10 April 2013
The moment I took it out of the packet it felt cheap, made of the sort of lightweight plastic on cheap children's toys that you just know will break before the day has ended. It's easy enough to use - you won't have to look at any instructions. But the result is an exceedingly poor, grainy picture with sound that has a constant whining noise - the noise of the thing working picked up on the sound. With something costing so little I thought, 'What have I got to lose?' Answer: a little money and my wasted time. Please don't waste yours.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars faulty design, 13 Jan 2013
The head on this stand is not really foldable. It either stays in place in the usual position or flops hopelessly, giving no support whatever. Also, on the stand is a tiny sticker stating that the finish on the stand will damage the finish on my irreplaceable old instruments, that do not use modern varnish. This should be clearly displayed on this page before buying. Useless.

Why is My Custard Lumpy?: And Other Culinary Conundrums
Why is My Custard Lumpy?: And Other Culinary Conundrums
by Absolute Press

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless for children, 22 Dec 2012
Based on the previous review and the cover illustration I bought this for my daughter's 11th birthday, a keen cook and baker. She's a very good reader, but the language in this book is beyond her - the presentation doesn't fit the contents. Furthermore, this is written in a sub-Jeeves-and-Wooster style with very irritating characters. This obscures the whole purpose for buying the book: culinary information.

I gave this one star because I couldn't give it none.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog
The Elegance of the Hedgehog
by Muriel Barbery
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not hesitate: read this book, 6 Jun 2012
Beautifully written, wise, moving, erudite, funny, heart-breaking. I have laughed aloud and cried at passages in this book, and sat stunned at such skilled writing. I cannot praise this book highly enough. Just read it.

Canon PIXMA iP4700 Colour Printer
Canon PIXMA iP4700 Colour Printer

1.0 out of 5 stars Ink-hungry, noisy, lazy printer, 14 Nov 2010
The tiny ink cartridges run out after a few blinks of an eye, the printer itself often takes an age to actually print after making a series of incomprehensible noises - which it sometimes makes of its own accord when I haven't even sent a print command - and the print quality itself isn't all that great. I'd strongly advise you to buy a better printer. I'm getting to the point where it's costing me so much ink that I think that option would be cheaper for me. I gave this 1 star because I can't give it 0.

A L'Estampida - Medieval Dance Music
A L'Estampida - Medieval Dance Music
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Early music with energy and verve, 12 July 2010
I simply have to review this early offering from The Dufay Collective after reading the 2 starred review. I can't imagine we were even listening to the same album. The reviewer certainly cannot be a musician (or not a good one) to fail to recognise what is on offer here. (The only thing I half agree on is that the artwork on the original album was far superior to this reissue.)

No one can have a conversation with this group without being impressed by their knowledge of music history, nor hear them without being impressed by their impeccable musicianship. This is not early music played by stiff, classically-trained musicians who don't know how to play a note that isn't written down. They use their skill to feel the spirit of the music, based on known historical traditions, and make it come alive like few other early music groups can do. They are true to the music because they understand the traditions and cultural contexts which gave rise to it. The Dufay Collective play music which stirs the blood and moves one to dance, which is exactly what this music is intended to do.

Buy this album. Even better, see them live.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2010 6:12 PM BST