Profile for H. Mapplebeck > Reviews

Content by H. Mapplebeck

H. Mapplebeck (London)

Trim Tab
Trim Tab

5.0 out of 5 stars This fantastic novel, shines a light into the shadows to ..., 28 July 2015
This review is from: Trim Tab (Kindle Edition)
Ever wondered what happens in the shadows? This fantastic novel, shines a light into the shadows to reveal just quite how dirty and murky the things are that are happening just out of sight. The novel skilfully blends fictional happenings and real life events with an anti-hero who subtly weaves a web of deceit, illusion and let's not forget destruction. You don't know who is pulling the strings and greasing the wheels to keep the world turning. This instantly accessible and gripping thriller leaves you wondering quite how close to the truth this all is.

One for All SV 9390 DVB-T antenna;Frequency range=VHF, UHF und FM (VHF) channels MHz;Amplification=4
Offered by Discount +

2.0 out of 5 stars Too temperamental, 8 July 2012
I've had this for a few months, I live within sight of the Crystal Palace transmitter but this still struggles to get a picture all the time. It seems to be affected by weather(?) but sometimes I've no idea why it decided not to get a signal, moving it sometimes as little as a centimeter will cause the picture to go (today I could only get a picture sitting moving the aerial in front of the telly and having my hand over the cable! Later, after I'd missed the record I wanted to make, it worked back were it started. The stand is too small to give any support and the cable comes out of the top which causes the aerial to topple over if barely touched. I can't wall mount it as I need to move it around whenever it decides to not work. I'm giving it 2 stars as when it does work it works ok but need to be more consistent and needs a design overhaul. It's a shame there isn't anything else on the market that does the job as I have to persevere with it. I wish I'd not bothered with it though, I've missed too many recording or viewings (friends over to watch the footie, picture kept breaking up). Find an alternative or invest in a different set up (cable or Sky).

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD)
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD)
Dvd ~ Tom Hardy
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth buying the bluray..., 18 Feb. 2012
The film was ok, quite enjoyed it although the I found a few of the characters weren't explored deep enough in the time available but this stands up well against the BBC series, though the latter is better.

However, I don't usually feel compelled to leave reviews but the quality of the picture on the disc is rubbish. I just wanted to say that it's probably not worth buying on bluray. Apparently the director had this graded to look as if it had film grain (I've put the link below) but I really found this annoying and intrusive.

So the 2 stars is only for the bluray disc presentation.

[...]

Hope Glory Mountain
Hope Glory Mountain
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely album, 22 May 2009
This review is from: Hope Glory Mountain (Audio CD)
Surprised there aren't more positive review about this album so I thought I'd leave one. I listen to this album regularly, I came to it late and eventually bought it after I realised I'd heard several different songs on the radio and had liked all of them, since then it's very rarely off my stereo.

The album loosely is based on the singers mother's journey from Honduras. The album is instrumentally warm and varied (they are great live as well by the way), I've read a few reviews whinging about the lyrics but I personally love the imagery of the lyrics, some are less meaningful but who cares, with lines like

"I looked up and picked out a map in the sky. No need for the nude of the moon, as I'm guided by fireflies; and they whisper prayers to my feet as I tiptoe throught gardens minding the slumber of parakeets"

are so evocative and beautiful that I'm more inclined to go with the singer on the lyrics that are less cogent, and lets face it there are much worst lyricist out there! I find them vivid enough to understand the story but sufficiently vague so they are not be purely biographical.

I'd definitely recommend buying the album, it's such a warm and loving tribute to a mothers love and struggles to achieve a better life.