Profile for lakeland > Reviews

Learn German With Stories: Café in Berlin - 10 Short Stories For Beginners
Learn German With Stories: Café in Berlin - 10 Short Stories For Beginners
by André Klein

5.0 out of 5 stars highly recommended, 3 July 2014
Brilliant way to learn German. The title sounds so dull but actually its a fun read. For me it feels great to be able to read and understand most of what I'm reading, thanks entirely to Andre's clever use of simple German, and his careful and progressive translation. He recommends dict.cc to use with the book which IMHO is the best downloadable dictionary I've foind online.
I'll be buying more books in his series.

River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

5.0 out of 5 stars Cookbook classic not just for vegetarians, 24 Jun 2014
I've had this book now for about two years and it's earned a permanent place on my shelf. I have a handful of cookbooks I refer to time and time again (like the Dairy Cookbook and the 1970s Good Housekeeping) and this has become one of them.
I'm a vegetarian with a meat eating husband and three meat eating children and a mix of veggie and non-veggie friends and family. My husband used to be very suspicious of veggie food, not "proper" food etc. but he's been very happy with the dishes in this book. The recipes make sense and produce simple tasty food without breaking the bank.
The recipes use seasonal ingredients, so great if you have a garden, get a veg box or want to take advantage of seasonal offers. Most of the ingredients are household staples as well, which I like as I find it off-putting if I have to spend ages shopping for the ingredients before I can start cooking.
The book is worth it's money just for the magic bread dough recipe alone. This has saved us lots of money. I often make a batch in the morning (takes less than 5 mins) and then you can let the day unfold knowing you have dinner almost prepared. Just a bit of tomato sauce/puree grated cheese and you have a home made pizza for the kids in no time or amazing flat bread that go with almost anything, or home made buns for burgers, etc, etc, etc. There are also some more elaborate dishes for entertaining or when you have more time to cook. It really is a wonderful book.

Bitdefender Total Security (2014): 3 User - 1 Year (PC)
Bitdefender Total Security (2014): 3 User - 1 Year (PC)
Offered by Wiziwoo Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and unobtrusive, 30 May 2014
Best one I've used yet. Easy interface lots of nice additional features and doesn't pop up with stuff all the time unlike many other anti-virus software. Doesn't slow my pc down either. Highly recommended compared to other security software.

Frog and the Stranger
Frog and the Stranger
by Max Velthuijs

5.0 out of 5 stars Good story presented in an unpatronising manner, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Frog and the Stranger (Paperback)
I stumbled on these books by Max Velthuijs by accident in the local library.
They are different to normal childrens books in that they present real conflict in the characters. In this case it deals with prejudice and preconceived assumptions. The prejudice is explicitly dealt with for instance the way pig talks about rats as a dirty and thieving lot.

This type of story telling may not be to everyones taste and could be a shock to children who normally are normally read the run of the mill childrens books. For me this was a breath of fresh air, and more importantly my kids love it.

Frog is a Hero
Frog is a Hero
by Max Velthuijs

5.0 out of 5 stars Stories that don't patronise, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Frog is a Hero (Paperback)
I stumbled on these books by Max Velthuijs by accident in the local library.
They are different to normal childrens books in that they present real conflict in the characters. In this case the characters are under real threat due to flooding and offer a real sense of danger. This danger is also explicitly explained, 'they may starve because they have run out of food'.

LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7 (PS3)
LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7 (PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Well Made, 30 May 2014
I play coop play with my 7 year old
I've played computer games for years but actually this is one of the best I've seen. Although its linear it never seems to get boring. The main reasons for this are that in many cases solving a puzzle has a different animation, you need to investigate alot to solve everything and its funny (spells that make you bald etc).
Some of the darker themes of Harry Potter are dealt with very well and its only slightly scary in places so IMHO is bang on age appropiate. For instance if a character dies then we are always reminded it is Lego we are playing with.
After the story is completed you can then play 'free play' with different characters that you have unlocked. In the normal story mode it is not possible to unlock everything in a level. This adds another level of interest and problem solving to the game and IMO is a really nice feature.

I play 18+ games as well but I have enjoyed the game so much I have occasionally played the game when my daughter is out of the house!
Highly Recommended

Cold Killing (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 1)
Cold Killing (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very well written, 24 May 2014
Some of the dialogue feels as though its from the Sweeney (70's police drama), the descriptions in many places feel contrived. The characters are hard to like, not very well crafted, stereotypical (especially his sergeant). The protagonist feels immature and insular to command the respect of others, and I'm amazed that he was able to form a relationship with someone such as his wife.
Its particularily grating to see the planting of evidence dealt with so lightly, and if its written by an ex detective this aspect is particularily worrying or just pure fantasy.
The old saying that you should write about what you know is interesting in places as far as police procedures, but seems dreadfully contrived in others. He may have been better writing about actual cases he investigated (names changed) than this fantasy he has created, involving serial killers, criminal masterminds and clumsy police corruption.

Disney Princess Cinderella Fairytale Doll
Disney Princess Cinderella Fairytale Doll
Offered by MedClub

3.0 out of 5 stars My little girl loved it but the quality is not great, 29 Jun 2013
My daughter was delighted when she received this as a gift. Cinderella in her wedding gown with her prince, you can't beat it! Obviously, those dolls are aimed at little girls and one of the purpose of fashion dolls is to dress and undress them. I'm very unhappy that the prince's outfit started to split and fray at the seams after only a couple of weeks of play, which has dampened my daughter's enthusiam quite a bit. The prince doll is also of quite cheap plastic quality. I think it's sad that toy manufacturers let children down like this.

Bike Cave Tidy Tent - All Green
Bike Cave Tidy Tent - All Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent short-term solution, 29 Jun 2013
Our bike shed lastet two years before the wind tore it to shreds. I think this is fair for the price. It is very quick and easy to assemble and easily holds two adult bikes plus some extras. The quality of the zip isn't amazing but with some care should be ok. This isn't a substitute for a proper bike shed but is a decent temporary solution for a couple of years.

With the Old Breed: The World War Two Pacific Classic
With the Old Breed: The World War Two Pacific Classic

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written but horrific, 29 Jun 2013
Eugene Sledge captures the abject horror of war.

It's tough going in places because he describes the indescribable whilst proudly serving with his comrades. Some of his trenchant observations are very thought provoking.

Negatives - Some of the descriptions of troop movements are confusing and the illustrations are poor. It would be great if the book included a longer biography of Eugene. For a greater understanding of Eugene I would have also liked to see how the war affected him in later life. He seemed so self effacing that his own family may never have known this information though.

Page: 1 | 2