Profile for GillianEliza > Reviews

Content by GillianEliza

GillianEliza (East Sussex, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Thorn Birds
The Thorn Birds

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless classic, 30 July 2015
This review is from: The Thorn Birds (Kindle Edition)
A classic! I am re-reading after a gap of many years, and enjoying it as much as the first time. The Australian outback, the remoteness, the hardships, the landscape; thanks to the author's beautiful use of the English language all just leap off the page, all interwoven of course with the enduring love story.

Game Of Scones (The Little Teashop)
Game Of Scones (The Little Teashop)

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay for a beach read on holiday - doesn't tax the brain too much!, 30 July 2015
Sorry, but not my kind of story. It is written in very modern language, and I didn't find any of the characters believable or likeable. But I did finish it (which is more than can be said for some books!)

The Sandalwood Tree
The Sandalwood Tree

3.0 out of 5 stars A good holiday read, 30 July 2015
A good story, with plenty of historical references to the Indian Mutiny and early 20th Century unrest in India. I found the characters a little sketchy at times, and sometimes found that for me there were unexplained gaps in the narrative, but overall a good read.

DIPROBASE EMOLLIENT CREAM WITH PUMP DISPENSER -500G
DIPROBASE EMOLLIENT CREAM WITH PUMP DISPENSER -500G
Offered by Activecare Online

3.0 out of 5 stars but is not as good for him as Cetaphil, 30 July 2015
Looking for something to treat my husband's dry skin, but is not as good for him as Cetaphil. I was recommended this product by a friend, but although it may suit some skin conditions it didn't help my husband's.

Zemindar
Zemindar

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking good read, couldn't put it down, 30 July 2015
This review is from: Zemindar (Kindle Edition)
I had already read a book about India recently, and had enjoyed it - but this one was much better! The love story is skilfully interwoven into a historical setting, and the descriptions of the sights and sounds of India are brought to life on every page. I really didn't know how the story would end, and found all of the characters well-rounded and believable. I would put this story on a par with The Thorn Birds, I was that impressed.

Trainline - Times and Tickets
Trainline - Times and Tickets

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Oct. 2014
A great app - it has already proved its' worth.

The Refuge: My Journey to the Safe House for Battered Women
The Refuge: My Journey to the Safe House for Battered Women

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and inspiring, 14 July 2014
I saw this lady interviewed on television recently, and was inspired to read her book. It is an interesting story, the life of the battered wife is often told but this lady managed to escape the violence of her marriage eventually and is now a campaigner for other battered wives and partners. I liked the fact that she did not resort to mawkish sentiment to tell her story, and I wish her all the best in her campaign.

Norfolk Twilight (quick read): a short but haunting tale of loss, adventure and love

3.0 out of 5 stars Short but sweet!, 14 July 2014
A short story, perhaps a little predictable if you have read other works by this author, but pleasant enough.

Carve Her Name With Pride
Carve Her Name With Pride

5.0 out of 5 stars A lesson in bravery, 14 July 2014
Told in a clear, factual way, this book about Violette Szabo is the fascinating story of a young woman who risked her life for her country, and died at a young age as a result of her wartime work. But this is no work of fiction - this was a real woman, and her story needs no melodrama or embellishment to make her personality and bravery jump out of the pages. An extraordinary life, and a story well-told.

The Blackheath Seance Parlour
The Blackheath Seance Parlour

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a book I would ever want to read again, 10 April 2014
I bought this book because it had been recommended based on other "spooky" books I had bought. Oh dear! Mr Williams uses the old trick of having two stories running concurrently, which always annoys me intensely because I think it shows that the author has two themes in his head and can't decide which one to turn into a book; so he uses both, but puts one in italics! Yes, the two stories do converge in the end, but it seems very contrived and unbelievable. The whole premise of the book is pretty tasteless to me, and although it is set in early Victorian times the author keeps slipping in modern language and ideas, and seems to forget that the London he is writing about is a very difficult place to move around in. You would think his characters had a Ford Focus in the garage sometimes, the way they travel around. In my mind Mr Williams has too many themes, too many loose ends, writes in a sloppy way and has little regard for time-frames. A totally forgettable book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2014 12:09 AM BST