Profile for Kindle Customer > Reviews

Content by Kindle Customer

Kindle Customer "aboabab" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Art of Asking: How I learned to stop worrying and let people help
The Art of Asking: How I learned to stop worrying and let people help

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for anyone creative, 9 Jun. 2015
This book was so much more than I imagined, and has really mattered to me.
I think I'll be thinking on it and re-reading for a long time to come.
And I am proud to say I've happily bought songs, can't believe I hadn't heard them before. The Ukelele anthem makes me happy. Wish my Dad could gave heard it, he was a Ukelele lover. Now I understand!
Stunning work. Thank you for these gifts, I hope I can keep them moving.

From Stress to Stillness: Tools for Inner Peace
From Stress to Stillness: Tools for Inner Peace

5.0 out of 5 stars Very insightful and helpful., 22 May 2015
Very clear approach which really helps to understand what fuels and can counter feelings of stress and anxiety. Can't believe this book doesn't have more prominence - compared to many I've read, it is well written and strong throughout. Highly recommended.

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying: A simple, effective way to banish clutter forever

5.0 out of 5 stars this is such a gratifying read, 20 Feb. 2015
I've loved reading this book. I have absolute confidence that the Konmari method is precisely what I've been looking for to achieve the feeling I want around me in the place I call home.

Thank you so much for writing this. It speaks to my heart.

Thaw
Thaw

4.0 out of 5 stars How much more living could there be in each day?, 18 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Thaw (Kindle Edition)
This isn't a typical book choice for me. I guess the apparent darkness of the subject matter created the presumption that it would just end in a stereotypical happy ending. Initially, I wasn't immersed in the style of a diary - it felt too much like the writing was directed at a reader rather than the imaginary being you write to in a diary. But it didn't take long to be captured in the flow - seeing what Ruth sees, and the subtle and natural metaphors of her view of her experience. I felt with her. I liked how the necessary questions we all could be asking ourselves in order to define a more 'lived' life were there to contemplate if I wanted them, or I could just ease in to her story. In finishing a book, I always consider whether the characters live on for me, and Ruth and Red certainly do.

Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers
by Alexander Osterwalder

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 7 Oct. 2011
I have looked for something like this for so long - it is a creative representation of some wonderful strategic thinking - a great and insightful way of modelling what businesses and products are about. I love how simply the ideas are put across, and I refer to this book often as a guide when I need to crack specific problems, and to give structure to creative thinking.

Retail Confidential
Retail Confidential
by Joe Cushnan

2.0 out of 5 stars A retail must, 27 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Retail Confidential (Paperback)
This is a rather self-indulgent autobiography of the authors many years in retail, in middle-upper management. The reason why it is a retail must, is it is a window on the issues that are plaguing retail today.

The book focussed on what the author believed he had gained in experience (in bulleted lists), but failed to demonstrate how to achieve or capitalise on his learning. There was little insight into the workings of retail as a business, more about his experiences and thoughts of customers and colleagues. I felt angry on behalf of his previous employers and customers at some of the negative perspectives and descriptive words that were used. I believe that his view that the 'customer isn't always right but is always essential' gives a lot of insight into his perspective, and many other retailers'. I wholeheartedly disagree - whichever way you look at it, regardless of the odd customer that might try to capitalise on a situation (detailed within), the entire business you are working in exists to give the customer what he wants, not to give you somewhere to work and a business profit. Therefore, on the most fundamental level, the customer is always right, and you exist as an employee to maintain that. It is because the customer is essential that he is always right.

Astonishingly, following some very disparaging stories about experiences with customers (intended as humorous), the author provides over a 100 day diary of his perceptions of other retail experiences and never seems to understand the business realities that underpin poor training, cost cutting or designing customer experiences (or how to deal with unexpected and unusual customer requests - asking for 60 stamps as if it were 2! Really??) - or apply the experience you'd expect into how to turn the situation around. I struggled to read them all - complaining without any actual insight into how to solve the issue. Very useful if you'd like insight into how these kinds of experiences could be affecting your customers, and the attitude you may encounter as a retail owner aiming to overcome day to day challenges.

I would have loved to have seen how those decades of experience have developed ways of creatively and positively turning realities like less recruitment budget, stocking difficulties, communication difficulties from management to shop floor, into business successes. How to turn around poor customer experiences. How to delight your customers. What strategies could you use to ensure you don't have a queue. How to marry the difficulties in the amount of organisation and processes required to run a large retail concern with a rewarding and reliable customer experience. How to influence the powers that be to understand and support a better customer experience. How to train anyone to deliver a great customer experience, with limited or no budget.

I get how flawed many retail environments are. I for one am more interested in how to make them work better and why they are that way.

This book should have demonstrated the solution rather than give evidence of the problem.

Ergo-Tilt« Portable Laptop Stand - BLACK
Ergo-Tilt« Portable Laptop Stand - BLACK

5.0 out of 5 stars Aaah, the relief, 25 Jun. 2009
Finally somebody has made a decently priced laptop stand that does a good job. I love that I can fold this stand and take it with me. What a difference to endless hours of typing, thank you.

10 Minute Solution - Kickbox Bootcamp [DVD]
10 Minute Solution - Kickbox Bootcamp [DVD]
Dvd ~ 10 Minute Solution
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, stimulating workout, 27 Mar. 2009
I've recently been buying fitness DVD's to replace my usual gym. I used to do Body combat classes as well as a regular routine with cardio and weights. I was looking for a body combat style workout that I could do at home with limited space.
The price definitely does not reflect the quality of the work-out - it is better or at least as good as any others I have bought for much more.
The 10 minute sessions are intense and interesting, and I love that you actually feel as though you have 'done' something after a 10 min session. I do manage to do all 5 sessions for a great 50 minute workout (sweat included).
I think the instructor has an antipodean accent, and gets the job done - I don't feel like there is any unneccesary ridiculous smiling or hollow enthusiasm, just simple motivation.
I can do the workout comfortably in the space in my lounge.
I have most definitely felt the effects of the workout and will testify that regular use will reap noticeable benefit.
I do however wish I could find something that matches the super intensity of attending a class in person, but I suspect that it would be hard to muster the same motivation by yourself:)

The Definitive Business Plan: The Fast Track to Intelligent Business Planning for Executives and Entrepreneurs (Financial Times Series)
by Sir Richard Stutely

5.0 out of 5 stars I use it constantly, 5 Nov. 2008
I have found this book so useful that I simply haven't bought another on the same subject. It is written by someone who truly understands the subject, and I believe it will be indispensible to a new entrepreneur, an experienced one, or in fact an exec with planning responsibility that wants a budget approved. As a new entrepreneur you could work through the book from start to finish and have a highly workable business plan, or with experience you could use this as a reference guide to jump around in to improve your weak areas, or use as a reference as and when. Its written in a style that is easy to read, complex concepts are given proper and sensical explanation. If only all business books were this helpful.

Birthing from within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation
Birthing from within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation
by Pam England

5.0 out of 5 stars The reassurance I was seeking, 12 Dec. 2006
I've accumulated quite a library in trying to understand what I might expect in having my first child. I've read quite a range, but still felt like I wasn't clear on what actually happens - it all felt very medically explained, but didn't tell me what I might feel emotionally and physically, nor did I feel confident that I was getting to whole story. This book was easy to read, and is orientated from the point of view of how the mother giving birth (and her birth partner) may experience labour and birth. Hence, birthing from within. I feel that I have a realistic, but not fearful expectation of what is likely to happen, and importantly, the tips, preparation and information given in this book help you to understand how to build your own way of dealing with and having the best possible birth experience for you. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2