Profile for J. Pappenheim > Reviews

Content by J. Pappenheim

J. Pappenheim "Papsby" (London)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
uni-ball Eye Fine UB-157 Rollerball Pen - Black, Pack of 14
uni-ball Eye Fine UB-157 Rollerball Pen - Black, Pack of 14

4.0 out of 5 stars PENS, 26 Sept. 2014
1 pen is nice to have.
2 pens. Useful.
3 pens? Danger of pocket overcrowding.
4 pens! Two for home, two for on the go :)
5 pens: lend to a friend!
6 pens - lend to two.
7 pens, a divine number.
8 pens - teach an octopus to draw.
9 pens lend to three!!
10 pens means one for each finger.
11 pens is not two pens.
12 pens is a dozen for drawing.
13 pens unlucky for some, aside from pen manufacturers.
14 pens is possibly excessive...

The Triumph of Religion
The Triumph of Religion
by Jacques Lacan

4.0 out of 5 stars The Little Other, 26 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having only encountered Lacan through the medium of Zizek, The Triumph of Religion was my first exploration of the work of the man himself.

Despite being such a slight tome, the ideas and information come thick and fast and, though it may not be a page turner, captivates the imaginative and analytical mind alike.

Not exactly an easy read, but a nicely presented meditation on Religion and Catholicism.

Philips QC5570/13 DIY Easy Reach 180 Degree Hair Clipper
Philips QC5570/13 DIY Easy Reach 180 Degree Hair Clipper

4.0 out of 5 stars Read the instructions if you're an idiot like me, 10 Oct. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a young man with punk rock sensibilities and few friends, I find I need to cut my own hair quite often to keep my asymmetrical head in check. Where other clippers require you to dislocate your wrist in order to get to those hard to reach areas, the DIY Easy Reach does exactly what it says on the packet!

The clippers come with two attachments, designed to give you a buzz between 5 and 15mm long, and is easy to clean and care for.

I say read the instructions, only because (being an idiot hole) I didn't realise the clippers were adjustable BETWEEN 5 and 15mm long, and ended up giving myself early male pattern baldness.

So, in summary, the best clippers I've used, but a little fumbly if you don't know how to read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2013 11:34 PM GMT

Trollied - Series 1 [DVD]
Trollied - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jane Horrocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't scan it..., 30 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Trollied - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I first heard about this sitcom from my flatmate. Being a deputy manager at a high-profile supermarket chain, he'd heard talk about a new show taking on the subject matter he (perhaps) was closest to - a group of shelf stackers and managers. He'd heard good things, so we got the set.

The first thing I notice is how easily I take out my phone and start playing a video game (let's call it furious fowl) within the first fifteen minutes, and in a new show, particularly when all the characters you're supposed to know and love are being introduced, that's not what you want really. I'm not a film phone fiddler usually, but for this particularly mediocre show, I made an exception.

There were a few laughs, but even I'll admit that they came from the more... immature aspects of dialogue rather than from anything witty - but maybe that's the joke after all? Basically, my life stays unaltered by this show whether I take it to the checkout or leave it in the frozen section after a glance at my bank balance.

All I'll say is, it's not got anyone I know rolling in the aisles... (I'm sorry)

Philips Aquatouch AT750 Wet and Dry Rechargeable Electric Shaver
Philips Aquatouch AT750 Wet and Dry Rechargeable Electric Shaver
Offered by Coop Pharmacy 4U

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overall shave, but a few bristles of resistance, 5 Oct. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Now, if you knew me, you'd know that I'm not normally one for shaving. I prefer the country bumpkin look, wandering around in check-shirt and skinnies listening to whatever's on Pitchfork's Best New Music list. That was until I got a job.

Now it appears I'm required to be clean shaven and, for someone with a very sensitive face, this wasn't a fun prospect. This is when a friend of mine recommended that, aside from a cut-throat razor, an electric would be the best way to go for my needs.

The first thing you'll notice about the Phillips Aquatouch is the price. At a reasonably modest (£) (or thereabouts), it's no more expensive than a few weeks of Mach 3 razor heads, or any of those replaceable blades. The rotating heads offer a clean shave with only mild discomfort: I sometimes feel a short sharp 'tug' on some of the more embedded hairs. However, this is made up for by the relative ease of shaving, especially around problem areas (the jawline in particular if you, like me, have some angles to work with!).

One possible downside is that occasionally a few hairs will remain in stubborn protest against your technological advances, and I often find myself reverting to disposables (DISPOSABLES) in order to rid myself of these last standers.

However, overall, taking the price, product and overall experience of the shaver into consideration, I find myself more endeared to it, and I reckon you will too. The novelty of finally using those shaver plug-points is also a plus point.

In summary

Pros - Cheap
- Comfortable (overall)
- Easy to use
- Plug points
- Easy to clean (didn't mention that above, but it is)
- Wet or dry
Cons - Sporadically sporadic
- Occasional tugging (to be expected I suppose)
- People think you're better off than you are

Collins Livemocha Active French (Collins Active/Livemocha)
Collins Livemocha Active French (Collins Active/Livemocha)

5.0 out of 5 stars C'est Magnifique!, 4 May 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was never too good at languages at school. I always heated learning the proper forms, tenses, etc. It always felt like learning, and I didn't like it.

This program feels like living. You get into the habit of using French, you just feel what needs to be said and you're right, you learn the form as you go along.

The online support tool is amazing. Unlike in French class, everyone wants to be there, and they all want to get better!

Could not recommend enough!

Sennheiser CX 980i High Fidelity Ear-Canal Headset
Sennheiser CX 980i High Fidelity Ear-Canal Headset

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully crafted, but are they worth it?, 28 April 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As far back as I can remember I always wanted to have some Sennheiser earphones. Well, we all want to own a product made by the best in their field, don't we? Being a confirmed audiophile and not quite having the money for Bose or B&O, Sennheiser have always been the object of my desire.

I got a pair of Sennheiser headphones a few years ago when I finally got sick of my Sony Bass Boosters repeatedly falling apart on me, and in some ways it was an incredible decision. Just maybe not for the right reasons. After a few months I reverted back to my Sonys, in part due to my preferring earphones to headphones (I like one ear sound-tracking of my walks) but also due to the loss in volume.

Comparing the CX 980i and my Sony Bass Boosters may, on first glance, appear unfair to the Sonys: However, I find that on the whole I still prefer the £20 pair to the £150. This is for two primary reasons...

1. I have literally no use for the microphone. I may have an iPhone, but I always prefer holding the phone to my head, if only to reduce the likelihood that passers by think I'm just talking to myself. I can see how for many others who may use Bluetooth headsets and the like, having a pair of expertly crafted earphones doubling up as their primary communication tool may appear attractive, but unfortunately it's not for me.

2. I like bass. These do not like bass. Again, I recognise that this is purely personal preference, but I find that songs appear much flatter than I am used to, lacking depth until I fiddle about with my iPhone's EQ settings, something I rarely enjoy doing. The audio fidelity of the earphones is, on the whole, phenomenal, and music can be amplified to the limits without experiencing (too much) distortion: However, these are more suited to music that was supposed to be heard flat, rather than have some life injected into them.

The earphones are beautiful. The metallic mic/iPhone controller feels very classy, but dangles or clips on slightly annoyingly. Above all you get to be wearing Sennheiser but, for me, this simply doesn't cut it, especially when I could enjoy better audio quality from my Sonys, use them to death, then replace them 7-times over before I've even touched the cost of these earphones. Cheapskate? Well I never!

So, in conclusion, if you have use for a mic and listen to folk almost exclusively, these are the earphones for you. If not, stay clear and buy yourself something else.

Professor Layton And The Eternal Diva [DVD]
Professor Layton And The Eternal Diva [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Miller
Offered by Springwood Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Layton!, 28 April 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you're a fan of the series of video games, then this DVD is certainly for you. Brain teasers and puzzles galore for all the family, perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon or even a smaller kids party. Could not recommend more.

PEANUT BUTTER BLUES & MELANCHOLY JAM
PEANUT BUTTER BLUES & MELANCHOLY JAM

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply incredible, 19 Feb. 2011
With my favourite artists at the moment being James Blake, Glasser and Twin Shadow, I felt there was no place in my heart for the UK grime scene. But then along came Ghostpoet with his awesome 'The Sound of Strangers EP' which showcased single worthy 'Cash & Carry Me Home'. Simply beautiful.
After the wonder of his EP, his debut album 'Peanut Butter Blues and Melancholy Jam' cemented his place in my top 10 acts for 2011. Taking elements from chillwave, dub, dubstep and dream pop then layering his social commentary laden lyrics on top, Ghostpoet has created an album that defies the usual expectations of genre crossover albums. Highlights of the album are 'Longing For The Night', 'Garden Path' and the opener 'One Twos / Run Run Run', but then again the whole of the album is brilliant.
Definitely worth a buy, it'll be an asset this year to show it off and introduce your friends to it. Simply incredible.

BaByliss 2123U Root Boost Micro Crimper
BaByliss 2123U Root Boost Micro Crimper
Offered by Anything 4 Home

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 7 Feb. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
gave these as a Birthday present for my girlfriend and she absolutely loved them. When she wanted a bit more volume she'd just whack these bad boys on and within minutes she'd look like she'd had electro-shock treatment (in a good way). definitely recommended, especially for the small price tag!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3