Profile for Mr Greeves > Reviews

Dishonored (PC DVD)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 22 Oct. 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dishonored (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
"Revenge solves everything",so goes the tagline for what is surely a contender for Game of the year.Yet had this been a Call of duty game or one of its many clones,"Revenge" would probably have consisted of a series of scripted events where you are "guided" down a linear path before blowing your target to bits with a rocket launcher during yet another ridiculous set-piece.But not in Dishonored.

This is the great strength of Dishonored and one of the many reasons it stands out like a sore thumb next to 90% of First-person action games.While the story is almost entirely linear,each level is a virtual sandbox that has obviously been crafted with alot of care and attention by the developers,and one in which the player is let loose to decide for themselves how best to complete their objective.Sure it can simply be played as a straight FPS,but then you definitely wouldn't be playing to the game's many strengths.The level design and the powers you gain as you progress through the game demand experimentation and the ability to think outside the box.

This is where most of the enjoyment is derived as you patiently scan the level from a suitable vantage-point, marking out enemy patrols and places of particular interest,(that while not important to the main quest look like they may be worth a visit),and all the while deciding how best to approach your target from the multiple-routes afforded to you by the superb level design and the special abilities granted to you by the mysterious "outsider".Granted with the repeated success of the aforementioned COD games,the ability to think for yourself and to use your imagination while playing might not be a particular strong suit amongst many gamers today.(I say this not as a dig but from experience,there were times when playing Dishonored that I couldn't believe some of the areas and structures in the game were reachable having been "trained" by so many games before ,with their linear and heavily restricted level-design, that such in-game feats were unthinkable).

From a visual standpoint Dishonored is a gorgeous looking game.The developers have used a water-colour design in-game and have given many NPCs particularly exaggerated features and unproportioned limbs, and this gives Dishonored a distinctly unique look and a slightly sinister feel which is yet another reason the game stands out from the crowd.

No game is without its faults and Dishonored is no exception.The A.I is inconsistent and sometimes frustrating for the wrong reasons.The story is pretty unremarkable and parts of it feel somewhat under-developed,and while it uses some highly-respected voice talent I never thought the voice acting was particularly brilliant.
Also the graphics aren't particularly impressive from a technical stand-point and this may disappoint some of those with powerful PCs who are looking for a graphical benchmark,but this is a minor fault and one I don't particularly care about personally.

Yet despite these faults,make no mistake,Dishonored is one of the most important games to come out this year.If it achieves commercial success it will show the industry that a First-person shooter/action game can be made and become successful without the baggage and restrictions that usually come with the genre as standard.There is no pointlessly tacked-on multiplayer mode to divert attention and resources away from the main story,neither is their an open-world design to artificially lengthen the game,and thankfully almost zero instances of the game holding the player by the hand from one set-piece to the next.(A practice beloved by so many modern games sadly).No Dishonored feels entirely focused and almost single-minded in its pursuit of giving the player a single-player experience with choices and freedoms which are sadly absent from so many bloated big-budget blockbusters nowadays,and for that the developers of this extraordinary game should be commended.

LUPO Micro Sim Card Cutter & 2 Adapters - For iPhone 4, 4S & iPad (SILVER)
LUPO Micro Sim Card Cutter & 2 Adapters - For iPhone 4, 4S & iPad (SILVER)
Offered by LUPO STORE

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 25 July 2012
After recently purchasing a new phone(xperia S),I failed to notice it required a micro-sim instead of an ordinary sim.So after a little bit of panicking and scouring of the Internet,I came across this handy little device.The card-cutter itself looks and feels quite cheap,and reminds me of the staplers you used to use in primary school.But none of that matters because the thing is cheap,and more importantly it works flawlessly(in my case anyway).I'll admit I was wary of it actually working but the process was so quick and simple and the cut-down sim fitted into my new phone and worked without any problems.
I just can't understand how anyone could have a problem with this.I know not all sims are the exact same size and there is some variation in the shapes,but all you have to do is turn the thing upside down, after slotting your sim in,to make sure where exactly it is you're cutting(making sure not to cut the gold chip).
I really can't fault this product.

(I'm using a Three sim just incase anyone was wondering)

Commando [Blu-ray] [1985]
Commando [Blu-ray] [1985]
Dvd ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu Ray is Uncut, 19 Sept. 2011
This is just a short note to say the Blu Ray version of this gloriously over-the-top Schwarzenegger rampage is uncut as far as I'm aware,and does feature the "shed scene" in all of its glory.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2012 5:06 PM BST

Black Death [Blu-ray] [2010]
Black Death [Blu-ray] [2010]
Dvd ~ Sean Bean

3.0 out of 5 stars Black Death, 6 May 2011
Having never heard of this movie before, I decided to purchase it due to the fact I'm a big Sean Bean fan and have an interest in this period of history.For the first 20 minutes the film struggled to hold my interest and I thought it might be a mindless "hack 'n slash" type of movie.But(and without spoiling anything)it does pick up eventually and for a good while has a sinister sort of tension and eeriness overhanging it which I found pretty entertaining.
I almost feel guilty awarding it only 3 stars,the cast and director elevate the film way beyond its meager budget and definitely above some similar big-budget offerings from Hollywood.Its just that,unlike some films which reward and warrant repeated viewings, Black Death doesn't have any more to offer after the initial viewing,add to this a pretty weak plot twist which just doesn't come off and an unnecessarily long epilogue and you have a movie that falls a little short.

Crysis Warhead (PC DVD)
Crysis Warhead (PC DVD)
Offered by scaddingk

1.0 out of 5 stars Why?, 18 Sept. 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Crysis Warhead (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Yet again EA shoot themselves in the foot.They've already lost two sales from me at least(Spore and Mass Effect),as I refuse to pay good money for a game that installs invasive software onto my PC,and essentially limits how I use a game I'VE PAID FOR!!
Isn't it sadly ironic that supposed "anti-piracy" measures such as these will only harm the innocents? Because you can be sure that as we speak,this game will have been cracked and enjoyed by the people this DRM system is meant to guard against.

Samsung SM2032MW 20" Widescreen TV Monitor- Black
Samsung SM2032MW 20" Widescreen TV Monitor- Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb TV/Monitor, 12 Sept. 2008
I recently purchased a PS3 but unfortunately couldn't afford an HDTV to accompany it,so I decided to have a look at some alternatives and found this.On first glance at the product description and reviews I was tempted, the fact that my PC monitor was woefully out-dated from a gaming perspective made my decision much easier.
This is,in my humble opinion,an absolutely superb product,especially when you consider the price.I have my PC hooked up through the DVI port,my PS3 through the HDMI port,and a pair of speakers through an av cable.Games on my PC look superb and pin-sharp at 1680x1050.Games on the PS3 are similarly impressive as this TV/Monitor supports 1080p(although because the max res of the monitor is 1680x1050 its not the full 1080p)Still it looks good.
From an asthetic standpoint I really like the sleak,dark design,it looks really nice together with a PS3/PC and some speakers.
The only minor niggle,and it is a very minor niggle,is the stand that comes with the monitor.Unlike the monitor itself,it feels a little cheap and flimsy,and is a pain to attach,it took me a full ten minutes to get it on properly.That aside it really is hard to find a reason not to recommend this product.

Logic3 Soundstation 3 Speaker System (PS3)
Logic3 Soundstation 3 Speaker System (PS3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Soundstation 3 Speaker System, 12 Sept. 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Having recently purchased a PS3 I was looking for some speakers to accompany it,when I stumbled upon this pair.I have to say that that these are a superb pair of speakers for any PS3 owner who doesn't want/can't afford a surround sound system.
Even though they are fairly cheap.to call it a budget system is a little unfair.Whether you're watching movies,playing games or listening to music,the sound is really quite exellent.And from an asthetic stand-point,they go really well with to your PS3.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to any PS3 owners.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2009 4:59 PM BST

Scouting For Girls
Scouting For Girls
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Think of the children!!, 11 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Scouting For Girls (Audio CD)
This band is THE perfect example of the Law of diminishing returns.On first hearing these guys some months back,I though they weren't bad.But as I heard "shes so lovely" and the subsequent crud excreted from this album, I realized just how wrong I could be .
I don't know what it is about them.Is it the fact that they wrap their unbelievably banal lyrics around a melody that barely changes from song to song? Is it that they're so mind-numbingly bland and inoffensive? Or is it that,as one reviewer mentioned previously,supposed "teenybopper" bands like McFly and Busted did this sort of thing much better years ago?
I'm no musical snob.I like anything from The Beatles to Mowtown,The Smiths to Kylie.But this I can't stand.