Profile for Miss K M Johnson > Reviews

Content by Miss K M Johnson

Miss K M Johnson (London United Kingdom)

What to Expect the First Year
What to Expect the First Year
by Arlene Eisenberg

2.0 out of 5 stars sorry, I don't like this book, 20 Jan 2003
I bought this on the strength of the reviews on this site as I was looking for a book about child development. I do not find the format "useful" and "informative", as other people have said, but jumbled and lacking in any depth or order (the layout appears to promote browsing at random, rather than looking anything up).
I find the question-and-answer format so irritating, you feel you are reading an agony-aunt column where you can guess the answer before you have read it (e.g. "My 3-week baby son has crooked legs. Is he malformed, or will he get better?" - you hardly need read on).
I thought there would be new and interesting insights into development each month and suggestions as to how to help promote physical, emotional and intellectual development, but each month, there is a list of similar things: - "he should be able to: sit up" for example, and "he might be able to: say da-da". The following month, the "might be able to" will become "should be able to", etc. It's not really useful.
It purports to be a very general book and I think this where its "strength" is, if you like. In other words, it is probably best if you have it on your shelf with your more comprehensive baby books and dip into it just for extra information you may or may not find. For instance, I found some interesting information about arguments for and against and how to introduce a beaker for my baby, but I don't tend to *use* the book to gauge his development or expect it to go into any depth about anything important...