Profile for R. Ivimey-Cook > Reviews

Content by R. Ivimey-Cook

R. Ivimey-Cook "Ruth" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Be Quiet! CM BQT L8-630W PSU Pure Power
Be Quiet! CM BQT L8-630W PSU Pure Power
Offered by BoraComputer

5.0 out of 5 stars looks great, quiet and well-supplied with cables, 5 May 2015
Bought to replace an underpowered unit. Packed well, looks great, quiet and well-supplied with cables, and seems to do the job (I don't have testing equipment!).

Some might say it's not completely 'modular' because the main ATX cable isn't plugged into the box: for me that wouldn't have been a desirable thing anyway.

Could be improved by supplying the screws needed to attach to case (though I didn't need them), and I would have liked to see another drive cable: (you get enough to fill all 3 of the PSU sockets, but no more, but with a mix of molex and sata plugs these days, options would be nice).

Stretch goal for improvement: some way to monitor the electronics and/or temps inside from PC software!

ARCTIC MX-2 Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-2 Thermal Paste
Offered by AVIDES u.k.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 5 May 2015
Very good thermally: switching from 'bog-standard' to this resulted in a 4..5 deg C drop in temp.

Roccat ROC-12-722 Isku Illuminated Gaming Keyboard UK Layout
Roccat ROC-12-722 Isku Illuminated Gaming Keyboard UK Layout
Offered by Box Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Has its faults, but good overall., 5 May 2015
I'm very picky about keyboards, and though I didn't need this one's 'gaming' credentials I like it for its good range of additional keys, and the feel of it.

The supplied software gives a lot of freedom to modify things (though in some ways, such as keybinding actions, offers a disappointingly limited choice of what can be bound to a key) and works well.

A valid criticism is that the keycap illumination isn' very visible especially when viewed from an angle, so it can be quite hard to see at all.

This is the second unit I have had - I bought the first about three years before this one and it worked well for 2.5 years before some keys started failing to respond at all, or auto-repeated indefinitely when hit. Having contacted Roccat I was told it was a firmware problem but there was no fix. Having looked around the market I (slightly reluctantly) selected the same one again because it was still the best compromise.

So far (I've been using it abour a year) the earlier problem has not recurred. Hoping for the best.

Stylish Brown Suede Beanbag Cube Foot stool Bean bag pouffe
Stylish Brown Suede Beanbag Cube Foot stool Bean bag pouffe
Offered by Beautiful Beanbags Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars It's great, 5 May 2015
I use this as a footrest and it's great. I was afraid before I got it that the material would get very obviously dirty, but there's no sign of it even though it's not led a sheltered life.

Only thing I could suggest would be to offer a version that was slightly more densely packed inside.

Would recommend.

Logitech M705 Wireless Mouse - Black
Logitech M705 Wireless Mouse - Black
Offered by T.G.Z.G.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..., 5 May 2015
Bought for use with my Mac Pro, having already used an Darkfield Performance MX mouse which I love. The unit is a bit smaller than the MX, which for those with smaller hands will be a plus, and works decently well. I think the MX works better though.

Lost a star because I have had some problems with intermittent signal reception when used on my desk; I had plugged the unifying reciever into my Mac on a port about 1 yard from the mouse, and it wasn't happy, with very frequent juddering of the mouse onscreen. Tried plugging it into the Anker USB port hub I plug into the other Mac USB but that didn't help. Used an old USB extender wire I had to put the receiver within a foot of the mouse, and all is well. Not quite sure what to make of this.

The current Logitech software is working happily on my Yosemite OS and is useful.

Prime Instant Video
Prime Instant Video

5.0 out of 5 stars Brought me into streaming video., 5 May 2015
This review is from: Prime Instant Video (App)
Wasn't much of a 'streamer' until I started using P.I.V while I was ill; it's now part of my viewing options, especially as I can use it on the recently bought Samsung TVs. Good range of things to see on Prime and reasonable prices for the non-Prime ones.

Only downer is that I can't stream it from my Android phone to a Chromecast unit (or DNLA), probably because Amazon want me to use FireTV instead (but I won't go there).

Anker® Unibody 3-Port USB 3.0 and Ethernet Hub with 1.3ft / 40cm USB 3.0 Cable [Ethernet Port RTL8153 Chipset + USB Ports VL812 Chipset]
Offered by AnkerDirect

3.0 out of 5 stars so overall a good buy., 5 May 2015
It works on my Mac Pro, including the ethernet,but is larger than I was expecting. Given the internal components use it could have been smaller if they'd tried, especially length. However, it isn't huge and wasn't costly, so overall a good buy.

MasterKey 49 MIDI Keyboard - Silver
MasterKey 49 MIDI Keyboard - Silver

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money., 5 May 2015
Wanted a simple midi keyboard for PC use. It serves that purpose well, but I find the keys are hard to get good volume out of -- you have to really hit them hard to get what I would call midrange volume (I'm using PianoTeq), and there doesn't seem to be a velocity curve adjustment option.

However, given the cost, probably a good deal.

Canwelum Womens Leather Belt, Ladies Leather Belt with Gold-plated Buckle (Brown) 42 inches
Offered by Canwelum Group

3.0 out of 5 stars Would have been ok for a smaller person., 5 May 2015
The belt came very nicely packed indeed in a lovely box, and itself looks great.

However, I'm on the larger side -- as the belt size I selected would suggest -- but the leather is somewhat thin and after only a few days has started to stretch at the holes. I would also have preferred a slightly longer (e.g. 2") with the additional length used for extra holes; there are relatively few holes and so the adjustment range is small and the tong doesn't go very far.

So in summary, well packed, looks good, but leather a bit too thin and slightly too short (though it does fit).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3