Profile for R. Ivimey-Cook > Reviews

Content by R. Ivimey-Cook

R. Ivimey-Cook "Ruth" (England)

Tub of 25 TDK DVD+R Doube-Layer DL 8.5GB Inkjet Printable Full Face White Top 25 pack spindle cake tub (Ritek S04-66)
Offered by Blank-Discs-Com SuperSaver

1.0 out of 5 stars Many failures, 24 Jan 2014
I bought these for a project which needed 20 copies of a disc. I don't expect perfection, but well over half of the discs in the case failed to write correctly, or failed validation.

EasyAcc 12000mAh Power Bank 4 USB 3.5A Output Portable Charger High Capacity External Battery Pack for iPhone iPad Samsung Galaxy Android Phone Smartphone Tablets Pc GoPro - Output: 0.5A ~ 2.1A, Black
Offered by EasyAcc.U Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Good charger and powerful; shame about the LEDs, 1 Jun 2013
I bought this together with the backpack solar charger unit, reviewed separately. I have been very happy with this unit. While charging or discharging it works well.

The 4 output terminals are somewhat confusing to use - they have different max current ratings, which is fine, but to my mind the labelling could be improved - e.g. using coloured stripe around the sockets themselves and the manual could be clearer about what effect using different sockets will have on your experience of it.

One gripe is that the LEDs that act as a charge state indicator seem to be biassed: it gets to 75% quickly - half an hour or so - but then might take several hours to get to 100%. I would like to see a clearer indication.

My other gripe is that it doesn't play nice with the EasyAcc solar charger. I can't tell if there is a minimum current requirement on the charge input or there is some other issue, but although charging would appear to happen - LEDs flash and you might get to 75% charge indicated, a discharge attempt will soon discover that there is next to no charge in the unit.

EasyAcc® 7W Portable Solar Charger Panel for Cell Phone iPhone Android Smartphone Samsung Galaxy HTC Bluetooth Speakers
Offered by EasyAcc.U Store

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than some but still somewhat lacking., 1 Jun 2013
I bought this in conjunction with the 12000mah EasyAcc power pack to charge my HTC Sensation phone and Tablet. It does work, is acceptably robust and the somewhat unusual "box" - backpack-type synthetic material - works well. My only concern is that it might not survive a bending force but I don't know this to be a problem.

My main complaint is there is no indication at all of the power output from the unit. While I wouldn't want a bargraph display - it would take too much power away - a LED that flashed briefly at increasing rates as the power grew would be very useful. e.g. flash duration 50ms, frequency 0.2Hz at 10ma, 10Hz at 200ma - or whatever.

My greatest disappointment is that the unit appeared to be incapable of charging the 12000mah power pack I bought with it. While it appeared to try charging, no significant charge was transferred even when left for a day in good sunlight.

I have wondered about the practicality of getting 2 units and putting them in parallel for additional power but haven't yet done that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2014 3:21 PM BST

LNER Passenger Trains & Formations 1923-67
LNER Passenger Trains & Formations 1923-67
by S Banks

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good; a must have for LNER info., 29 April 2013
Physically it is roughly A4 in size, hardback with a matte cover in Sepia and black spine but no dust cover (which doesn't bother me). Inside the pages are high quality paper and the printing is well done. Most photos are from 3/8 to 1/2 a page in size, so large enough to see enough detail, and although some are a bit fuzzy I would happily ascribe that to the originals. In general I am happy with both the standard of reproduction and typography used.

I know nothing of the authors' history apart from what is in the book, but that suggests they have been involved in "decoding" LNER carriage information for a long time. From the Foreward: "Steve Banks and Clive Carter have studied their subject in depth and have produced a thoughtful investigation into this aspect of railway operation" and I would agree with this. The preface ends with "This then is our attempt to portray how the LNER and the Eastern Region of BR went about the business of carrying passengers while steam was king."

The book has an Introduction and seven chapters: The Expresses, Through Coaches and Portions, Cross Country Expresses, Secondary Expresses, Sleeping Car Trains, Pullman Car Trains, and Final Developments. There are two appendices: LNER Sleeping Car construction and Pullman Cars supplied to the GER and LNER, and an index.

Throughout the text are a large number of photographs, many I (for one) haven't seen before, with decent descriptions of each. One criticism of these is that in some cases - eg. the typical 3/4 shot of an express on page 11 - the authors state descriptions of the formation that the photo resolution makes impossible to see, which is frustrating. However, only enlarging them a lot would help, and perhaps then not a lot, so I find this forgiveable. There are a few that seem to have been included for "background interest" and while I would agree they were interesting, it would have been nice to link text and photos more clearly. Though I am not any sort of expert on this area I found the photos helpful and illustrative of the topics covered.

The Introduction, which includes some information on the telegraph codes and how they were used, also includes the sources of information used for the book, and an overview of operating procedures. It notes that a volume 2 will cover secondary services and mixed trains.

Each of the main chapters includes examples of specific trains (named or otherwise) and the formations they used with comments on how they developed and changed over the years. Sometimes the train times are included but not always, and only occasionally is a timetable seen. The focus is definitely on what the coaches were doing and why. The authors are not afraid, either, of straying "off-piste" - in that for example the Ports to Ports express travelled from LNER to GWR metals. In a couple of cases, coach diagrams are included, either for a specific coach design - e.g. the 1924 Gresley Brake Composite - or for a whole train, with the 1938 Railway Gazette plan of the Flying Scotsman train. These are however the exceptions, which was in my view a pity: more detail on how carriage design changed would have added an interesting dimension to the book. I can see, though, with a book already 224 glossy pages, that might have been a step too far.

A major gripe for me is that the Index is rather short: at 2 1/2 pages it should really have been tripled in length. It does contain the most important terms, but it seems to have been done in a hurry and it shows.

Overall I am very happy with the book which sheds a lot of light on an otherwise rather poorly examined subject. If you have any interest at all, I would recommend it. While the RRP is steep, it is available at lower cost - e.g. Amazon is selling it at £28 and £25 on the marketplace.

Avery Compact Trimmer Cutting Length 425mm Capacity 10x 80gsm Area 570x75mm A3 Ref A3CT
Offered by Choice Stationery Supplies Limited

2.0 out of 5 stars It works, but..., 23 Mar 2011
The product cuts paper in a straight line, but...

The picture doesn't make it totally clear that the item folds up to a triangular shape, and the "feed in" part is an aluminium flap of about 2-3". On the other side it's hard to get at the other side of the paper because it's solid, there being a slot through which the paper emerges - if it's long enough.

I found it extremely hard to judge accurately where the cut will happen (my use demands ~1mm accuracy) which is why I rated it so poorly. I also found the flap too short and poorly supported to make a useful table.

The only upside is that the product folds up to a more storable size than would normally be the case.

In my view there are better units: avoid.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2014 3:54 AM BST