Profile for J. Stewart > Reviews

Introducing Joss Stone
Introducing Joss Stone
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Joss can't find her own sound, 26 July 2007
This review is from: Introducing Joss Stone (Audio CD)
I think Joss Stone has a superb soul/blues voice and I wish her every success and hope to be listening to her for many years to come.

However... This album is boring, dull and medicocre. Songs sound alike, why the rap, why Vinnie??

I have honestly tried listening to this over and over, hoping that I would "get it". No such luck. Each listen confirms what I already know. The album is pish.

If you read this Joss, take heart. You have an amazing voice. Stop trying to be cool all the time. Buy some shoes and take a break from recording. Tell the record companies to shove off and leave you alone for a few years, then come back and wow us all!

Prodigal Son
Prodigal Son
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Another well kept secret, 9 July 2007
This review is from: Prodigal Son (Audio CD)
Michael Powers is indeed another well kept secret. Great songs, outstanding musicianship and a stunning voice. Powers is a great modern bluesman and a tribute to the genre.

Some of my favourite tracks are the haunting "Oh John", "Every Grain of Sand" and the driving "Wild Side".

The album is polished and worth every penny, however you might want to start with Onyx Root. I can't decide which album I like best! Onyx Root is less polished, but I like that...

(also, if you like Michael Powers you must try Otis Taylor - Definition of a Circle)

Definition Of A Circle
Definition Of A Circle

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 Stars, 9 July 2007
This review is from: Definition Of A Circle (Audio CD)
I bought the album and the first track floored me with it's driving rythm but laid back style. Gary Moore adds very tasteful lead guitar throughout but doesn't dominate. Otis Taylor's voice is a perfect match for the music, gravelly and genuine. you could buy the CD just for this song!

The rest of the album doesn't disappoint and is refreshingly unique. The music is often driving trance blues, but instruments like piano, cornet, mandolin etc are subtle and never over-done.

All in all, this is a unique and unusual album. An album that will draw you in and you find yourself listening to it over and over. Absolutely fantasic!

(By the way, if you like this you should also try Michael Powers)

Onyx Root
Onyx Root

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic & authentic, 27 May 2007
This review is from: Onyx Root (Audio CD)
Michael Powers has a fantastic voice, such a pleasure to listen to, and his guitaring is equally impressive. Succesful Son is a song I can listen to over and over again. Shimmy Up is another favourite... funky and upbeat. All in all an album well worth spending your money on!

Continuum
Continuum
Offered by Sent2u

5.0 out of 5 stars Laid back, 27 Mar 2007
This review is from: Continuum (Audio CD)
I watched John Mayer on TV, recording at Abbey Road studios, and was struck by his laid back style and smooth blues sound. Thoroughly enjoyable watching. The next day I bought this album, and while there are 2 or 3 songs I don't particularly enjoy, the bulk are simply stunning! My personal favourite is Vultures, such a catchy tune. My advice is money well spent!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather so I can sit outside with a glass of wine and John Mayer in the background!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2011 2:10 PM BST

The Road to Escondido
The Road to Escondido

4.0 out of 5 stars Yep, it's good, 22 Nov 2006
This review is from: The Road to Escondido (Audio CD)
This album is good. Buy it. If you like J.J. Cale then buy it. This is a Cale album with Eric Clapton playing on it. There are some stunning tracks on it, my fav's are probably "Heads in Georgia" and "Sporting Life Blues". However, the main reason I'm writing this is that Eric Clapton has been a disappointment of late, and the track "Three Little Girls" is absolute rubbish. It's the reason for the missing star in my rating. Clapton is only credited with 2 songs, this pish and the brilliant "Hard To Thrill". In my opinion "Hard To Thrill" is one of the best songs from Mr Clapton in years.

My last observation that Eric Clapton seems to surround himself with a bucketful of musicians these days, which leaves me in some doubt as to who is playing which piece on this album. You can hear J.J. Cale throughout (except track 10). I was expecting Cale and Clapton and instead have an orchestra of undeniably superb musicians. Picky? Perhaps, but I was really looking forward to just Cale and Clapton...

Ignore me, I'm grumpy. But I do like the album and despite my criticisms I remain a Clapton fan. Cale just outshines him on this, which is fine. Buy the album.

12 Bar Blues Riffs (Riff Notes)
12 Bar Blues Riffs (Riff Notes)
by Dave Rubin

1.0 out of 5 stars Worth 1 star, 26 Oct 2006
This book was a disappointment to me. I had high hopes which were quickly dashed and so I was prompted to write a review. The other reviewer gives an accurate description of this book. All I would add is that the patterns (riffs?) are out-dated and I feel my money would be better spent elsewhere. Hal Leonard often produce high quality books. This is not one of them.

A Bothered Mind
A Bothered Mind
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars New blues?, 30 Sep 2006
This review is from: A Bothered Mind (Audio CD)
This being my introduction to R.L. Burnside, I am staggered that a man with his background has taken pure blues and infused rock, rap and dj to create a very unique sound. Very highly recommended!! "Goin' Down South" is my current favourite and one that will have people asking you who that is playing. But I suspect that many other songs on here will burn themselves into my mind. I love the Hooker sounding "Bird Without A Feather" and his whole new aproach to "Rollin' And Tumblin'".

This is blues with a raw driving edge to it. Besides the John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters influences Burnside has what can only be a down-to-earth approach to life. I think he must have been quite a personality with a great sense of humour. I will definately be buying other albums of his and can honestly recommend this one! What a shame he is no longer with us.

Live From Austin, Texas
Live From Austin, Texas

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 22 Sep 2006
This review is from: Live From Austin, Texas (Audio CD)
There are few female blues singers making an impact today. Susan Tedeschi is not only a superb singer, she is a great guitarist too. Her music is original and inspired. This is a CD to keep in the car. And if you're a blues lover trying to find music your wife/girlfriend will like then you can't go wrong with this album.

"Laid back" probaby best describes this, but you might find that you need to listen 2 or 3 times before you get it. My first impression was not that good but I was alone in the car with her, and by the time I got back I was a fan. The only thing I can fault is her squeeky clean, all American "thank you" after some of the songs.

Buy this CD. You won't be sorry. I think it's the best one she has produced to date (Sept 06).

Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Offered by cdbargains4u

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacks feeling, 12 Jun 2006
This review is from: Blue Moon (Audio CD)
Don't get me wrong, Robben is a really really good player, never a note out of place. Therein lies the problem for me... I just feel this album lacks depth and feeling.

You know what Satch and Vai are like...? Never a note out of place, and they could play the same pieces flawlessly over and over again...? I just think blues needs some emotion: passion, anger, love, sorrow, you name it. I find all of these lacking in this album.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5