Profile for J. Stewart > Reviews

Blue Funk
Blue Funk
Offered by Liberty-Star

1.0 out of 5 stars Average elevator music, 8 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Blue Funk (Audio CD)
Save your money! There is more funk in the sound of one hand clapping.

I really regret spending money on this album and now I'm stuck with it... I don't have the heart to give it away!

Blue Again! (Plus Bonus Disc)
Blue Again! (Plus Bonus Disc)

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much more, 8 Jan. 2009
I was really looking forward to this album. I love Peter Green and the early Fleetwood Mac. I love the blues and I love seeing old blues musicians alive and kicking and strutting their stuff.

I find myself disappointed though. I think watching Mick, Rick & co perform live would be a fantastic experience and I would gladly pay double to go and watch them. Unfortunately this CD is really just like listening to an album of covers. Any up and coming blues band worth their salt could play the songs just as well.

Rick Vito does a great job on guitar and vocals, as does Mick on drums. In fact all the musicianship is faultless throughout. The problem is simply that nothing stands out. You've heard it all before.

Sadly this is a group of well respected musicians making a last stand. It could have been so much more.

Open Road
Open Road

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh air!, 25 July 2008
This review is from: Open Road (Audio CD)
Oli Brown is a breath of fresh air! I bought the CD knowing nothing about him and have loved it from the first note. The guitar work is great, slightly raw. Nothing flashy and never over-done. Oli has a great tone and a great voice and I hope he keeps this style and sound for years to come.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2008 11:00 AM BST

From The Reach
From The Reach

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, 25 July 2008
This review is from: From The Reach (Audio CD)
This album got good magazine reviews and although I wasn't overly impressed by "Grant Street" which I already own, I tried it.

Frankly the album is boring. Sometimes you have to listen to a CD a few times to "get it" and I tried with this one, honestly I did. No doubt staunch Landreth fans will give it a 5 star rating but I don't believe it deserves them.

Well Well Well
Well Well Well

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I was there, 9 May 2008
This review is from: Well Well Well (Audio CD)
I agree with the review by TG. Already a Burnside fan, I was looking forward to listening to his older stuff and was not disappointed. I love the natural sounding guitar and singing. I love how R.L.'s character comes out in the stories and jokes he tells. Understated and under-rated, he pokes fun at himself and those around him. His music is solid and uncomplicated and his voice is a perfect match for his guitar. However if you're new to R.L. Burnside I'd recommend "Acoustic Stories" and "A Bothered Mind" as better starting points than this album.

Rocket Number 9
Rocket Number 9

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album, 27 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Rocket Number 9 (Audio CD)
I read up on Jason Ricci (interesting reading) and decided to take the plunge. The 1st track is worth the money alone, I absolutely love it!! (My son asked me why he keeps hearing the same song playng over and over).

Although Ricci delivers flawless harp playing, there is some outstanding guitar work on the album too.

It does need a few listens, and I suspect you won't like every track on here. I gave it 4 because of this. However each successive listen brings out something new. It's not a blues album in the usual sense and he takes the music from blues/rock to jazz. He's not Charlie Musselwhite and he's not Carlos Del Junco. He's Jason Ricci and he's very good.

I think it's great to see such a good harp talent emerging and I will follow his career with interest.

Acoustic Stories
Acoustic Stories
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Blues from the soul, 27 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Acoustic Stories (Audio CD)
I wasn't sure what to expect from an acoustic album from R.L. Burnside, but I have been hooked from the first note! Beautifully played and delivered. Simple uncluttered and pure blues from (for?) the soul. His voice is a perfect match and there is some very tasteful harp accompanying him too.

What a shame he is no longer with us. I highly recommend this album!!

Eric Clapton: The Autobiography
Eric Clapton: The Autobiography
by Eric Clapton

3.0 out of 5 stars Well..., 2 Feb. 2008
An impoverished youth, addiction and stardom. Eric's book gives us an insight into just how intimate the circle was/is in the UK; friends with the Beatles, Jeff Beck, Pete Townshend etc etc. Impressive stuff! However I was left with the impression that Eric has become a bit of a pompous arse.

"I liked the area so I bought the whole peninsular"
"I loved the yacht, so I bought it"

I know you'll hate my review, but if Clapton was God, there is little evidence now.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2009 12:05 PM GMT

Long Road Out Of Eden
Long Road Out Of Eden
Offered by leo of johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars Something for everyone, 2 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Long Road Out Of Eden (Audio CD)
There really is something for everyone here... You will find songs you like although I doubt there are any hits. Nothing that stands out and makes you come back for more.

I found myslf listening a second, third and fourth time to make sure, then I exchanged the CD for something else.

If you are a die-hard Eagles fan you'll want the CD. If you're looking for Hotel California, stay away.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2008 11:07 PM BST

Complete Clapton
Complete Clapton

1.0 out of 5 stars Elic Crapton, 23 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Complete Clapton (Audio CD)
At the best of times I feel strongly about the marketing machines that engineer best-of CD's just before Christmas. However, I feel let down that EC has jumped on the bandwagon too.

Eric, we will all still love you even if you don't have it in you to create any good new material. I have all your work up to now, on Vinyl, VHS, CD and DVD and I won't be spending money on this.

Shoot me down if you will, but I love EC's work and I love and respect the man. I just think retiring gracefully is cool and he has enough money without needing to release another best-of.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2012 9:21 AM BST