Profile for M. Coker > Reviews

M. Coker "Mike"

Sony Cyber-shot HX300
Sony Cyber-shot HX300

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 4 Jan. 2014
When I worked out that my daughter's Fujifilm bridge camera was consistently taking better wildlife pictures than my Sony alpha SLR I decided to try out a bridge camera rather than buying a new lens for the Sony alpha. I am really pleased with the HX300, it has taken good pictures in a variety of situations from landscapes to portraits. However, I'm most impressed by the pictures I have taken in low-light including handheld pictures at a winter lights event and pictures of people indoors with strong back-lighting.

I also enjoyed spending time with a couple of camera-mad people over Christmas who had spent a lot more money on their new cameras!

The only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is because there are a couple of niggles which other reviewers have highlighted - an optical viewfinder would have been nice, as would a reversible screen, a proper manual and a bit of string to attach to the lens cap.

Heights of Madness: In 92 days I walked and cycled 5,000 miles and climbed the highest peak of every county in the UK...What was i thinking

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Christmas read, 4 Jan. 2014
This was the perfect book for Christmas 2013, as the rain fell and the wind howled I could immerse myself in Jonny's adventures. Not only did it bring back memories of places I have been lucky enough to visit, it has also given me some ideas for adventures closer to home.

This is a book for anyone who likes a walk or a cycle and a laugh. I wouldn't recommend it to a Munroe-bagging mountaineer, because some of Jonny's antics will have them tutting into their beards.

Chill, A Reassessment of Global Warming Theory: Does Climate Change Mean the World is Cooling, and If So What Should We Do About It?
by Peter Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars Have any of the other reviewers actually read this book?, 23 Oct. 2010
I have finally made it to the end of Chill and my conclusion is that J. Jackson may be one of the only reviewers to have actually read it!

Chill contains lots of really interesting ideas and perspectives that are not receiving wide enough attention. However, it really is a book of two halves (or maybe it should be two books).

The second half, which deals with the social and political aspects of the man-made global warming hypothesis, is well written and builds on work that Peter Taylor has done throughout his life. You may not agree with all of his views, but at least he makes coherent arguments and outlines solutions.

Unfortunately, the first half (which receives most of the attention from other reviewers) is not well-written. Rather than taking the reader on a narrative journey that leads to the conclusions that Peter wants to share, we get polemic sprinkled with science. Frequently a particular point is asserted several times before we reach the scienctific explanation. When we get there the science is often presented in a way that seems over-complex. This makes it a hard read. I feel that there is a better book in here trying to get out.

This book is worth a read if you are reasonably scientifically literate and want to understand some of the alternatives to the man-made global warming hypothesis. However, follow-up the references and look at the latest sources of information on temperature trends, sea ice extent etc, before you draw your own conclusions.

"Open your mind, but not so far that your brains fall out" - Anon
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2013 6:17 PM GMT

The Very Best Of Sam Brown
The Very Best Of Sam Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting mix, 23 Oct. 2010
I have heard and seen Sam perform with Jools Holland, but I wasn't really aware of much of the rest of her work. Possibly because I didn't have any expectation about which tracks would be included, I really like this collection. There's a good range of styles and plenty of opportunity for Sam to demonstrate her vocal range. Personally, I think it's worth owning just for "Tea" (all 43 seconds of it).

Hungry City: How Food Shapes Our Lives
Hungry City: How Food Shapes Our Lives
by Carolyn Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down, 2 Oct. 2010
This book was clearly a labour of love for Carolyn Steel. This is one of the most fascinating books that I have read recently and her passion for the subject shines through. I have learnt a lot from this and will try and apply some of this to the way that my family and I treat food.

Scalextric C1218 Top Gear Powerlaps 1:32 Scale Race Set
Scalextric C1218 Top Gear Powerlaps 1:32 Scale Race Set

2.0 out of 5 stars Christmas just like it used to be, 31 Dec. 2008
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
We were looking for a game to put in our loft and I was pleasantly surprised when my girls agreed to Scalextric. I chose this set after seeing it in a shop.

Set-up was easy, althought there don't appear to be any instructions for the lap timer, and we were soon pretending to be The Stig.

Within an hour both cars were broken (cosmetic rather than terminal). The problem with this set is that it has a X-junction rather than a flyover and hence you will have car on car crashes (which seem more damaging than car on furniture) and the cars will get broken.

So if you are intending to race your cars (rather than set lap-times with one car), which is surely the whole point of Scalextric, then I can't recommend this set.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2010 2:05 PM GMT

Going, Going, Gone
Going, Going, Gone
by Malcolm Tait

4.0 out of 5 stars Stuck for something to do with the family?, 30 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Going, Going, Gone (Paperback)
This is a lovely little book that I bought as a present for my (7 year old) daughter. She enjoyed it as a picture book, but hasn't really engaged with the plight of the different creatures and habitats (yet?). However, we have used it to plan days out, by going to some of the places mentioned in the book.

Note that this is not a huge coffee table book.

This book does make you think, and the team that put it together have made some interesting choices of what to include in their 100.

Buy the book and support at least one of the organisations mentioned in it - pick an unconventional subject and you never now what you might learn.

The Sixth Extinction: Journeys Among the Lost and Left Behind
The Sixth Extinction: Journeys Among the Lost and Left Behind
by Terry Glavin

5.0 out of 5 stars A ray of hope?, 16 Oct. 2008
This is one of my favourite books of the year so far, and I struggled to put it down. Glavin's narrative leaps from continent to continent and thought-provoking idea to though-provoking idea. He is not afraid to challenge his own and society's preconceptions. At the end, I was left with the idea that amidst all of the environmental doom and gloom, there is hope and that hope lies with each and everyone of us doing something about that bit of the environment that makes a difference to us.

Tantrix Game Pack
Tantrix Game Pack
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT

4.0 out of 5 stars Addictive fun for the whole family, 23 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Tantrix Game Pack (Toy)
My sister-in-law gave me the starter set for Christmas. I was so addicted that I rushed out and bought the full set. The solo puzzles are great fun and certain of my friends got very competitive in trying to complete the challenges with more and more tiles. My children (3 and 5) have made up their own games as well as tackling the simpler solo puzzles.
It's portable, the bakelite tiles are pleasingly tactile, and you can even make pretty patterns. Oh and if you're as sad as me there is even a web site ([...]) from which I've just learnt that there will be an International Festival of Tantrix in Spain in July 2005. Where's my passport?

Kipper's Balloon
Kipper's Balloon
by Mick Inkpen

2.0 out of 5 stars Over (paper) engineered, 29 Dec. 2002
This review is from: Kipper's Balloon (Hardcover)
Don't buy this book, especially if you intend that it is read by small children. Instead spend your money on "Where oh where is Kipper's bear" or "Wibbly Pig's Garden" or any other of Mick Inkpen's fantastic books. The problem with Kipper's Balloon is simply that the pop-ups in this book are too complicated and as a result several are too fiddly to operate (even by an adult).