Profile for H. C. Jerrome > Reviews

Content by H. C. Jerrome

H. C. Jerrome (Surrey, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Christmas With Friends
Christmas With Friends

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful Christmas album, 7 Dec 2014
I can't stop listening to this! Featuring Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki, Misha Collins, Richard Speight Jr, Julie McNiven, Rob Benedict and Mandy Musgrave, this album is a treat for all Supernatural fans, but all the singing featured on this album is beautiful and brings the spirit of Christmas right to your living room. There are no over-the-top instrumentals or audio effects, which really enhances the quality of the singers' voices. Would recommend to anyone!

Dames, Dudes + Cowboys Too
Dames, Dudes + Cowboys Too

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 27 Sep 2014
I've had 'Dames, Dudes + Cowboys Too' for 2 weeks now and still can't stop listening to it. The album showcases Johnny's gorgeous voice and eclectic musical tastes, ranging from covers of Dolly Parton to Nine Inch Nails, and also includes several of his own tracks - though he makes the covers his own to such an extent that you could be forgiven for thinking they're his original songs! Some of the songs made me want to jump up and dance; others were so hauntingly beautiful that they sent chills down my spine. It is rare for an album covering so many styles to come together so completely, and I really felt like this album took me on a journey.

A very impressive and unique debut album; I can't wait to hear more!

Sane New World: Taming the Mind
Sane New World: Taming the Mind

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for everyone, 7 Sep 2014
I would honestly recommend this book to anyone, whether they're suffering from mental health problems or are just curious about how the mind works. Ruby Wax combines her wit and humour with a wealth of experience, knowledge and research to write this informative yet funny guide into mindfulness and other well-known therapies, and also does her best to answer the question of why we think the way we do and how to change it, rather than just accepting that things will always be the same. Everyone would benefit from being more aware of themselves and the world around them. I loved it!

JVC HA-F150-R-E Gumy Headphones - Red
JVC HA-F150-R-E Gumy Headphones - Red
Offered by Ukdapper

2.0 out of 5 stars Great... for the short time they lasted., 19 Nov 2013
I bought these headphones less than a month ago and after about 2 weeks the sound quality started going. 2 weeks later and the left headphone stopped working with a 'pop'. 2 stars instead of one because while they worked, they were pretty decent for the money! Just a shame they didn't last. I wouldn't recommend these - spend a bit more money and buy some that will work for more than a month!

Alcatel OT-668 Mobile Phone on O2 Pay As You Go / Pre-Pay / PAYG (Including £10 Top Up) - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price, 17 Jan 2013
I bought this direct from O2 for £39.99 (it's still that price there now) over a month ago and it hasn't let me down yet. I use it mainly for internet access (both wi-fi and 3G), and although my social media apps occasionally crash it's otherwise fit for purpose. The camera isn't the best but does the job and is decent for a phone camera - I have a seperate camera for taking high quality pics! It's also been dropped onto concrete a few times and still works perfectly. The screen isn't huge and while some may see this as a downside I quite like it as it means I can fit the phone in my pocket and always remember to take it everywhere with me. It's good for picking up signal and the sound quality on calls is good. I'm even considering buying another one as backup as it's so cheap and such good value for money. One downside is that the phone's internal memory is so small that I can't even update my apps, but I download and update new ones onto my microSD memory card, which I purchased very cheaply from Amazon (and a 2GB one came with the phone), so this only affects the apps already on the phone.

I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a good, sturdy smartphone on a budget. In terms of memory and the range of things it can do, it can't compete with many top-of-the-range smartphones (although the battery life is better than a lot of them, due to the smaller screen) but most users won't need anything more than what the Alcatel OT-983 offers.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice picture but the pencils are too small, 17 Aug 2012
The colouring pencils that come with this kit are absolutely tiny - only about 3cm long - and impossible for even a child with small hands to use. However, if you have your own colouring pencils the numbers can be used as a rough guide and you can personalise it a bit more with variants of the same colour, and it still makes a lovely little picture, which is small enough to be put on the front of a home-made card.

Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones
Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for the price!, 2 Jun 2012
I've had these for almost a year and although I don't use them every day, they're still working perfectly. I have a big head so they were a little uncomfortable at first but I soon 'broke them in' and they're now very comfortable! (They look a little bit square now, but who cares?)

The sound quality is excellent for the price, with a really good bass quality. They're perhaps not as good as other headphones that cost £100+ but for under £20, I'm not complaining at all. My only real problem would be the length of the cable; it gets in the way as I only use them for my laptop but when tied up that's no longer an issue. Highly recommended to anyone looking for a cheap pair of good quality headphones.

The Vampire Diaries - Season 3 (DVD + UV Copy) [2012]
The Vampire Diaries - Season 3 (DVD + UV Copy) [2012]
Dvd ~ Nina Dobrev

5.0 out of 5 stars Cliffhangers at every turn, 18 May 2012
I've been a fan of the show from the start, and had to leave a review after watching the finale of this season. Unlike the second series it was very much based on Stefan, Damon and Elena rather than Catherine. I have to admit that after the second series I wondered where the show could go next but I'm very glad I stuck with it - it got much better! The series is packed with twists and turns, but underneath it all, is very much based on love and family. No matter what your head tells you, you can't choose who you love. I'm very glad they've held onto this thread as I feel it's a vitally important part of the series.

The entire cast for The Vampire Diaries was suberbly chosen - their performances are flawless and, on a shallow note, they're all pretty easy on the eye too!

The only advice I can give for viewers of this series is to expect the unexpected. As a seasoned viewer of the show I was still left open-mouthed at many of the cliffhangers. The season started off a little slowly but really picked up a few episodes in. The final episode in particular is outstanding; very emotional and thoroughly gripping. I was in tears throughout it. Highly recommended for fans of vampires, werewolves and other mystical beings. I'm now waiting on tenterhooks for series 4!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2013 1:59 AM GMT

Queer As Folk USA - Season 1-5 Complete [DVD]
Queer As Folk USA - Season 1-5 Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gale Harold

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best purchases I have ever made, 6 Nov 2011
I was recommended to buy this series by several friends but put it off for ages because I thought it was all about sex and so wouldn't be my 'thing'. However, I made the decision to buy it and after watching the complete boxset twice in 3 weeks, can honestly say it was the best decision I've ever made. Although there is a lot of sex (and drugs, partying and good music!), the storylines are deep, involving and very quickly become based upon the relationships between the main characters rather than sex.

QAF covers love, heartache, marriage, parenthood, HIV, custody disputes, substance abuse and recovery, growing up, business struggles, cancer, extreme homophobia, coming 'out', gay bashing and so much more, and I was gripped from start to finish. I even somehow managed to watch the last 3 series in 2 days because I simply couldn't drag myself away. The actors all do a fantastic job of making the programme realistic and believable.

I'm a young, straight, British female but a TV series about gay men and lesbian women set in America is probably the most eye-opening, enlightening thing I've ever seen. I feel priveleged to have experienced the series and would encourage anyone to watch it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2014 5:13 AM BST

Your Song
Your Song

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 22 Aug 2011
This review is from: Your Song (MP3 Download)
I think this is a gorgeous interpretation of a classic song. Ellie's voice is lovely and understated, and gives the song a really relaxing and peaceful tone, leaving listeners with the opportunity to listen to the meanings behind the lyrics rather than having their thoughts drowned out by over-the-top intrumentals. Maybe it's just me, but I would far prefer to listen to this than much of the music in the charts today; songs which often have talented artists singing them but their talent is completely wasted because they have to screech to be heard over the loud beats of the music.

I'm not a big fan of Elton John, but I love his original version of this song. And I love Ellie's version too. To me, this is the best kind of cover - where you're aware you're listening to the same song but it feels like you're listening to something new because the style of the music has been changed. It's not the same, it's not better, it's not worse.

Why do so many people automatically render 'different' as 'worse'?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5