Profile for H. C. Jerrome > Reviews

Content by H. C. Jerrome

H. C. Jerrome (Surrey, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Bad Mother's Handbook [DVD]
Bad Mother's Handbook [DVD]
Dvd ~ Catherine Tate

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and touching :), 19 Feb 2010
This review is from: Bad Mother's Handbook [DVD] (DVD)
I love this film! It's perfect for anyone who is a mother or teenage daughter, or a Catherine Tate/Robert Pattinson fan. I've heard a lot of bad reviews about this but I honestly can't see what they say about it - I thought it was funny, touching, heartwarming, and it gets better every time I watch it. Highly recommended!

The Haunted Airman [DVD]
The Haunted Airman [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Pattinson
Offered by Springwood Media

3.0 out of 5 stars Rob was great but the story makes very little sense..., 12 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Haunted Airman [DVD] (DVD)
After watching this, I was left confused and a little creeped out. I understood that he was an RAF pilot who had been in an accident... and that's just about it. The story doesn't make much sense and the end was completely unexpected! However, Rob did a brilliant job as always with the material he was given, so I praise him for that. I'll also be reading the book soon so that I can begin to understand what they were aiming for with his film.

Overall, if you're a Robert Pattinson fan watch it - it's worth it just for his acting. If not, I wouldn't recommend it, as I found his acting the only praiseworthy aspect of this film.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars A relatively slow film with an explosive end, 10 Dec 2009
This film starts off slow, and actually remains quite slow throughout, even though it really captured my attention! There are several moments where everyone jumped, but I have to say that the last 5 minutes really made this worth watching. I was shaking as I left the cinema - and that never happens! Since seeing it I've been jumping at everything I hear in the night.

Camerawork is a little shaky - but it really adds to the effectiveness, and once you get used to it it's no problem. The main actors/actresses were not perfect-looking Hollywood stars, which made it even more realistic.

Overall, worth it if you're looking for an adrenaline rush or a spooky film, but it would probably be better on a bigger screen, like the one at the cinema.

The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2009]
The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Kristen Stewart
Offered by b68solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 23 Nov 2009
I'm a huge fan of the books, they make for excellent light reading, however I was less than impressed with the first movie. With all the hype surrounding it, I was expecting something much better! I wasn't intending to go and see New Moon in the cinema as that book is my least favourite of the saga, until a friend asked, and I decided I might as well go along with her. Much to my surprise, it was fantastic! The actors, especially Kristen Stewart, had improved by miles. The vampires looked more vampire-ish, the film was incredibly true to the book, and the film in general was much more action-packed. There were a few laugh out loud moments when there weren't meant to be *cue Jacob ripping off his shirt*, which just added to the greatness of the film.

I'd hate to be included in the "Twilight Fan Girls" cliche, but I had to give it 5 stars. It was just that good. Finally it has been proven that a not-so-good book can be made into a great film. Hats off to the producers.

One Child
One Child
by Torey Hayden

5.0 out of 5 stars Torey Hayden is a fantastic woman, 10 Nov 2009
This review is from: One Child (Paperback)
I have heard many people say that Torey's style of helping children is all wrong. Whatever these people may think, her work has clearly helped some (if not many) children escape from a world of abuse and unhappiness to find that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The lives of the children become her own, and she puts in everything she can to help them.

Her books captivate me, and I literally cannot put them down until I have finished reading them - they have never taken me more than 3 days to read, even when I am extremely busy. A highly recommended read, especially if you are interested in children or educational psychology.

Acer Aspire 5315 Notebook Laptop, Celeron M530 1.73GHz, 15.4" TFT, 1024MB RAM, 80GB Hard-drive, DVD±RW, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100, WiFi, Vista Home Basic

3.0 out of 5 stars This should never have been sold with Vista on it, 11 Oct 2009
I've had this laptop for just over 18 months, and although it has lasted this long, I'm now encountering some serious problems - so much so that I've felt the need to back up my files and am looking into buying a new one ASAP. Basically, it's most likely that the problem is the memory - or rather, the lack of it. Just having the laptop turned on, with no programmes running, takes up 75% of the 1GB of memory provided, and that's if I can get the laptop to turn on at all without freezing while it's trying to load.

When I first bought it, I had a lot of problems connecting to wireless internet even with excellent signal, and these have just got worse with time. The laptop was loaded up with free trials and other junk that wasn't necessary, although after uninstalling most of this, it worked fine and was relatively fast and reliable. But, like I said, the performance has declined hugely in the past 6 months even though I've hardly installed anything new in that time, and I'm not impressed!

If you do consider buying this laptop, I would HIGHLY recommend removing Windows Vista and installing Windows XP or Windows 7 as soon as you buy it. I wish I'd done that, as it may have saved me all this trouble.

I have given it 3 stars as it was cheap and should have been expected, however I wouldn't recommend this to someone who relies on their laptop for everything. I previously had a high opinion of Acer laptops, especially Acer Aspire, but not anymore. I don't think I'll be buying from them again, as they should have realised that this laptop was barely able to run Vista right from the start.

Michael McIntyre Live 2009: Hello Wembley! [DVD]
Michael McIntyre Live 2009: Hello Wembley! [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael McIntyre
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely FANTASTIC - Michael, you are a genius, 4 Oct 2009
Well, what can I say? I literally came back from the gig less than an hour ago (the one which has been filmed for the DVD) and it was brilliant. I for one am aching from laughing so much, my side hurts, my stomach hurts, and it was MORE than worth it!!! If I could give this 6 out of 5 stars, I would - I have never laughed so much in my entire life. From the 'trying on new shoes' walk to the unused spices in the cupboard to the men drying themselves in the locker room after the gym, he has taken the simplest and most commonly seen things in life and somehow turned them into a hilarious 90 minute show.

I cannot stress how brilliant this was, I'm so hyped up about it that I'm writing the review at 1am after seeing him. My friends will have to get used to Michael McIntyre being the topic of conversation for a while, because I will not be able to stop talking about tonight :D

Highly recommended for anyone with a sense of humour!

Change of Heart
Change of Heart
by Jodi Picoult

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't decide between 3 and 4 stars..., 25 Sep 2009
This review is from: Change of Heart (Paperback)
For me, although I haven't finished the book yet, it is enjoyable but certainly not her best. Normally her books grip me from the start and I finish them within a matter of days, but I've been reading this book on and off for maybe a week or two, and am only halfway through. Although there are some parts which are "can't put the book down", on the whole the book is extremely focused on religion, and for someone who is not religious and not particularly interested in religion (like me), it gets a bit too much at times.

A recommended read, especially for Jodi Picoult fans, but keep an open mind and perhaps borrow from the library or a friend rather than buy it.

Apple iPod 30GB Video/Black (5th Generation) (discontinued by manufacturer)
Apple iPod 30GB Video/Black (5th Generation) (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 1 Sep 2009
Well, what can I say? I've had this for 2 and a half years, it still works and is in almost perfect condition, apart from a few scratches! It has survived being accidentally thrown against walls and dropped in puddles, and with a decent pair of headphones can still produce a sound of real quality. It also has more than enough space for all the music I've accumulated over the years! People say iPods are flimsy and overrated, but if you take good care of it they will stay doing their jobs for many years. I'm very glad I bought this instead of another mp3 player!

Twilight (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Twilight (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kristen Stewart
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars If you want to fully enjoy the film, watch it before you read the books!, 24 Aug 2009
I'm one of the few people (in the world, it seems) who didn't see this film in the cinema. I knew the hype surrounding it, I just wasn't especially interested as usually the really hyped-up films aren't that good. However, as I started seeing the book around at the time, I bought it and after a while, started to read it. From page 2, I was hooked. I LOVED it. Because of this, I preordered the DVD and watched it as soon as it came, but was slightly disappointed.

The girl who plays Bella has a facial range of 2 expressions. Pattinson made Edward appear mean/nasty, and his 'furious' look just didn't work on his face. They underplayed the deep love between Bella and Edward, and I found it hard to like Edward very much at all in the film, although I adored him in the book. They also didn't act out 2 of my favourite parts of the book.

Saying that, they followed the rest of the story pretty closely and even used some of the same lines. The baseball scene was brilliant and matched Supermassive Black Hole perfectly. In fact, I loved the whole soundtrack!

So my advice? Watch the film before you read the books, and you will almost certainly love it a whole lot more, and then be pleasantly surprised when you read the book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5